Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost of medication

tag
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Cost of medication

As some of you may know my DH was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's. Anyway he is on disability last 2 years .He is now on Medicare A and B and part D for prescriptions. I took him off my insurance so that is what he has . He has WellCare for prescription and some of his medications are 0.00 costs but quite a few are very high on this plan ugg . I talked with our pharmacy today and I believe we can use single care or good RX but single care seems better . On WellCare his one drug for his Alzheimer's is 632 😳 for 180 pills where Siingle care is 28.00 👍. This is a pain but I guess we will run through Medicare part D and a few through a single care .

Just wondering if anybody has run into this issue ?

thanks 

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

Re: Cost of medication

Yes, I've run into this situation as well.  I've found that I need to comparison shop a few times.  After a while, you will start to see patterns.  Drugs A and B might be best through Part D.  Drugs C and D best with SingleCare.  Drug E with GoodRx. 

Specific pharmacies' prices might also vary widely within each "insurance" vehicle.  For example:  With SingleCare, Walgreens might be cheaper than CVS for one drug but another drug might be cheaper at CVS than Walgreens.

Also, be extra vigilant when there are supply shortages.  The lowest price won't help if the drug is out of stock.

May 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, NO New Revolver [will be reassigned when new account starts reporting]
FICO8:
FICO9:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 0 mos | New Accounts: 1/6, 1/12, 3/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 2 of 16
TrapLine
Contributor

Mom

Totally get your challenge. As one who is trying to figure out how the drug industry gets by doing what they do. My Part D is only available through six plans and four do not include one medication in their Formulary.

Went and talked to the pharmacy and druggist. She suggested what you are doing. When the insurance works use it and when Good RX or she has some other organization I never heard of, use them (pharmacist will furnish me the coupon at time of sale). As you know using other programs means the drug cannot be run through insurance.

Got a shock the other day. We are not allowed to change drug plans in the off sign up times of the year but, the drug plan can CHANGE their Formulary and add or remove drugs anytime they choose.

My one little bottle of special eye drops is $408 a month. No laugh when I hear of Seniors debating food or drugs! There are other meds I take but this sticks recently in my mind. Really ticks me off that other countries pay much less!!! Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 16
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@TrapLine  @NoHardLimits  Thank you both . Yes I use part D for half his scripts and single care for the other half .

I feel for everyone especially seniors these meds are ridiculous 

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 4 of 16
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

I was recently diagnosed with something, errr, something not good, but if managed properly, something else will probably kill me first.  Regarding that "managed" part, I had two options, 1) monthly expensive injections, or 2) a many times more expensive 1-time surgery; I opted for the latter.  Yeah, the surgery cost over $4,300 out of pocket (my insurance covered most of the bill), but I figure I'll come out ahead in less than a year, and my plan is to stick around for another 20 or 30 years.  Smiley Happy

This getting old stuff stinks.  Smiley Mad

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!

In the proverbial sock drawer:
Message 5 of 16
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Horseshoez wrote:

I was recently diagnosed with something, errr, something not good, but if managed properly, something else will probably kill me first.  Regarding that "managed" part, I had two options, 1) monthly expensive injections, or 2) a many times more expensive 1-time surgery; I opted for the latter.  Yeah, the surgery cost over $4,300 out of pocket (my insurance covered most of the bill), but I figure I'll come out ahead in less than a year, and my plan is to stick around for another 20 or 30 years.  Smiley Happy

This getting old stuff stinks.  :smileymad

yes getting old stinks . I hope you on the road to a full recovery .

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 6 of 16
Traveler101
Established Contributor

Sorry to hear about his sickness. That is one horrible disease and my thoughts go out to you. 

I'm not sure if he falls into the catastrophic illness category. There are programs that vary by state that will step in and cover costs of medicines providing he can qualify. It may be something that you could check on.

Also most every pharmaceutical manufacturer offers programs as well. 

Getting old, and getting sick is struggling enough without having to worry about paying for care. My mom, when she was on dialysis was 6k a treatment 3 times a week. Thank God we were able to get help.

Best of luck to you. Be well.

Message 7 of 16
TrapLine
Contributor

Mom ...

Still fuming! Do I eat or purchase Meds.

Two different bottles of eye drops cost me $650 ... now how do people afford Type 1 Diabetes?

Just venting! Maybe we should push for re-enstatement of the Debtor's Prison? Three squares a day and all the medical you can use (or not)?

Message 8 of 16
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Jnbmom wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

I had forgotten about this thread; I have an update...

My doctor has me on an additional medication, and I almost choked when I heard about the cost, it is a single tablet per day at the cost of $100 per tablet!  Fortunately I qualify for a few programs which help offset that cost.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!

In the proverbial sock drawer:
Message 9 of 16
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

@Horseshoez wrote:

@Jnbmom wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

I had forgotten about this thread; I have an update...

My doctor has me on an additional medication, and I almost choked when I heard about the cost, it is a single tablet per day at the cost of $100 per tablet!  Fortunately I qualify for a few programs which help offset that cost.

Best wishes for a good outcome to @Horseshoez .

I just got confirmation of shipment for one of my 90-day mail order prescriptions.  In January, that medicine cost me almost $800.  Today, my bill was only $60 due to some coupon that the PBM applied on my behalf.  It's hard to believe, but they lowered my cost without me having to proactively ask for any discount.  I wonder what the price will be in 3 months?

May 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, NO New Revolver [will be reassigned when new account starts reporting]
FICO8:
FICO9:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 0 mos | New Accounts: 1/6, 1/12, 3/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.