Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Year in the Garden

tag
shalimarcat
Regular Contributor

A Year in the Garden

Hello again, everyone. I just wanted to say that I did an entire year of gardening, no new applications at all in 2023. At first, it seemed like it would be so difficult, but once I resolved to do it, it was pretty easy. I had a lot of other things going on- work, school, and family events- that took up most of my focus.  I plan to get about 2 new cards this year,  and I hope to keep improving my credit.

If anyone is reading this that is contemplating a year in the garden, do it! If I can do it, anyone can.  

May 2024 be our best year yet!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: A Year in the Garden

@shalimarcat wrote:

Hello again, everyone. I just wanted to say that I did an entire year of gardening, no new applications at all in 2023. At first, it seemed like it would be so difficult, but once I resolved to do it, it was pretty easy. I had a lot of other things going on- work, school, and family events- that took up most of my focus.  I plan to get about 2 new cards this year,  and I hope to keep improving my credit.

If anyone is reading this that is contemplating a year in the garden, do it! If I can do it, anyone can.  

Congratulations. Nice discipline.

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 710

Message 2 of 10
markbeiser
Established Contributor

I'm almost to my 1 year gardening anniversary, still a month or 2 away from my gardening goal of >800 on all 3 Fico 8 scores though.
I'll be picking up a couple of new cards right away, Elan Max Cash Preferred card through Amplify CU, and one of the NASA cards for the heck of it.
Then I'll go back to gardening for the rest of the year to see what happens with interest rates, and if they go down a couple of %, do a big cash out refinance to do some investing, as I'm a little behind on my retirement savings goal, and would rather not still be working full time as an HVAC/R technician when I'm 62 in 7 years. Plan is to cash out to front load investments, then pay off the house in the working time I have left before I call it quits.

Back to gardening until Late February 2025.
Current FICO8:
Message 3 of 10
shalimarcat
Regular Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@shalimarcat wrote:

Congratulations. Nice discipline.

Thank you.

Message 4 of 10
shalimarcat
Regular Contributor

@markbeiser wrote:

I'm almost to my 1 year gardening anniversary, still a month or 2 away from my gardening goal of >800 on all 3 Fico 8 scores though.
I'll be picking up a couple of new cards right away, Elan Max Cash Preferred card through Amplify CU, and one of the NASA cards for the heck of it.
Then I'll go back to gardening for the rest of the year to see what happens with interest rates, and if they go down a couple of %, do a big cash out refinance to do some investing, as I'm a little behind on my retirement savings goal, and would rather not still be working full time as an HVAC/R technician when I'm 62 in 7 years. Plan is to cash out to front load investments, then pay off the house in the working time I have left before I call it quits.

Sounds like a solid plan.   What is a HVAC/R technician? Sounds medical. I'm a pharmacy technician, it can be grueling most days.

Message 5 of 10
markbeiser
Established Contributor

@shalimarcat wrote:

Sounds like a solid plan.   What is a HVAC/R technician? Sounds medical. I'm a pharmacy technician, it can be grueling most days.

Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning/Refrigeration

I would make a joke about you characterization of your job working in a nice conditioned space as "grueling," but I recognize that it is a different kind of grueling than what I experience, and is one that I wouldn't be able to handle well, if for no other reason than it involves interaction with coworkers and retail customers all day.🤣

Back to gardening until Late February 2025.
Current FICO8:
Message 6 of 10
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your discipline! I've done it, though its been awhie.

Message 7 of 10
ScoreSizzle
Frequent Contributor

Congrats! Watching you AoA grow is pretty cool when you're doing this. 

I remember looking at mine waiting to see what my score would be past 7 years, lol. 

The things we nerd out on. 

But after almost 6 years in the garden... I gave in for a line of credit with my bank that I still haven't used, SMH... 

Cap1 Quicksilver || Amex BCP || Discover IT || Chase FU || BofA Travel || FNB Omaha Platinum Visa
Message 8 of 10
keekers
Established Contributor

I'm about to break out of the garden after almost 2 years. Wanting to break into the Chase ecosystem made it easier (no shot over 5/24) but I've been sad seeing some of the elevated intro bonuses pass me by.

Message 9 of 10
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@keekers wrote:
I'm about to break out of the garden after almost 2 years. Wanting to break into the Chase ecosystem made it easier (no shot over 5/24) but I've been sad seeing some of the elevated intro bonuses pass me by.

Chase does tend to recycle their enhanced offers every so often either directly or through affiliation links at sites like TPG or creditcards.com, if the timing happens to work out for you.

(5/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.