Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2nd passport

tag
GhostCredit
Contributor

2nd passport

Hey guys, I'm a US Citizen. I've rlheard from someone that you should at least have 2 passports or be a dual citizenship. I've been researching and I think Irish Citizenship is good as they speak English and has a tax advantage. I've also looked into Latin countries and even DR but I think I would stay away from those countries as it's also are dangerous. I wanted to mnkw for those that are US citizen only, how did you obtain another country's passport and for what reason? Thanks.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

Re: 2nd passport

@GhostCredit wrote:

Hey guys, I'm a US Citizen. I've rlheard from someone that you should at least have 2 passports or be a dual citizenship. I've been researching and I think Irish Citizenship is good as they speak English and has a tax advantage. I've also looked into Latin countries and even DR but I think I would stay away from those countries as it's also are dangerous. I wanted to mnkw for those that are US citizen only, how did you obtain another country's passport and for what reason? Thanks.

I would not recommend randomly becoming some other countries citizen! Unless you are married to one or planning to migrate elsewhere, you could bring unwanted attention to yourself!

US Citizenship is the strongest passport you can have. You don't want to be flagged as spy or drug/arms dealer!

However there are some countries that would easily give you second Citizenship if you are American citizen, such as Canada, Australia, Israel(if your Jewish) etc.

Message 2 of 12
GhostCredit
Contributor

I've talked to a Canadian girl and look at how to be a citizen in Canada but it's very difficult, unless if you're a skilled worker. Also Australia, but need to have a degree which I am working on. Not trying to renounce, but just get a 2nd passport or if not then a PR would be good enough. 

Message 3 of 12
Cowboys4Life
Frequent Contributor

" I've rlheard from someone"

Probably the most dangerous phrase known to man.  What "someone" told you is wrong.  First:  many countries require that your renounce your citizenship from your birth country before granting citizenship in theirs.  Second major problem is that by holding citizenship in 2 countries you would then have tax liabilities for both.  The wealthy often get a 2nd citizenship as a tax dodge but to do so requires essentially purchasing the citizenship via an extremely large cash investment in the new country.  Unless you intend to immigrate to the new country then getting citizenship and/or a passport is unnecessary and has already been said will call a lot of attention to you that you do not want.  It just smells of criminal activity.

Message 4 of 12
GhostCredit
Contributor

It's not fair because my coworker from Peru, he came to the US being sponsored by his aunt. He has two passports now, from Peru and recently got his US passport. But for me, I only have one. I feel like by having two, it's better than one. One of my friend from Japan, still has his US passport but he lives in Japan cause he has a PR there, he says if he wants to get his JP passport, he needs to give up his US passport which I doubt anyone would. But, if I don't work in one country, why do I have to pay taxes? I don't understand.

Message 5 of 12
FlaDude
Established Contributor

@GhostCredit wrote:

It's not fair because my coworker from Peru, he came to the US being sponsored by his aunt. He has two passports now, from Peru and recently got his US passport. But for me, I only have one. I feel like by having two, it's better than one. One of my friend from Japan, still has his US passport but he lives in Japan cause he has a PR there, he says if he wants to get his JP passport, he needs to give up his US passport which I doubt anyone would. But, if I don't work in one country, why do I have to pay taxes? I don't understand.

The US requires citizens to pay tax on all income no matter where it is earned. Of course, if you work outside the US they aren't likely to send a W2 or 1099 to the IRS so I'm sure many citizens outside the US dodge taxes on that income. Many other countries don't have that requirement but if you did get citizenship in one that did, you'd technically owe both countries tax on all income.

Generally, getting another passport isn't trivial, you have to get citizenship in another country. Some countries will let you "buy in" by buying property or other means, but it's usually a pretty good chunk of change. 

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 6 of 12
Cowboys4Life
Frequent Contributor

"It's not fair because my coworker from Peru, he came to the US being sponsored by his aunt. He has two passports now, from Peru and recently got his US passport."

Which I think he did as part of his process of attaining US citizenship.  Only valid green card holders in that process are eligible.  You cannot just come here and get a US passport if you are not a citizen.  FYI:  "FAIR" is where you go to ride the rides and eat cotton candy.  It has nothing to do with real life.

"I only have one. I feel like by having two, it's better than one."  WHY?  What exactly would you do with another passport?  How often do you travel over seas or outside the US?  I have had a US passport since I was 14 and I travel quite a bit and do way better with Global Entry, TSA PreCheck and my US passport.  I have never felt the need for a "back up" from another country.   Well, until the recent economic and political disaster in this country.  I have been giving serious consideration to moving out and giving up US citizenship but that will not be done on a whim.  LOTS of planning and research before I would ever pull that pin.

"But, if I don't work in one country, why do I have to pay taxes? I don't understand."

The US requires you pay taxes on all money earned regardless of where in the universe you earn it.  Go to work for any major employer around the globe and they are going to report it to the IRS.  The major problem travel medical people, teachers, and others make is the taxes technically aren't due until your return to US soil.  That is why many of these employers say "tax free" but what they really mean is while you are in Dubai or where ever.  Once you come back here the IRS will be all over you.

ANY country that gives you a passport for their country is going to want you to have their citizenship which then means any money you earn here can also be taxed by them. That is the responsiblity of a citizen.  I know Israel is one country that requires you to prove that you have sufficient income to support yourself and/or your family or they won't grant you residency let alone citizenship.  Brazil won't even let US citizens get a vistors visa without showing proof of income and 3 months worth of bank statements.  I would imagine a passport or citizinship would require way more.  Unless you are one of the uber wealthy who can buy a property or sink $500k or more into a political "investment" to get a golden passport (google it) or dual citizenship this isn't going to happen.  

Message 7 of 12
GhostCredit
Contributor

@Cowboys4Life wrote:

"It's not fair because my coworker from Peru, he came to the US being sponsored by his aunt. He has two passports now, from Peru and recently got his US passport."

Which I think he did as part of his process of attaining US citizenship.  Only valid green card holders in that process are eligible.  You cannot just come here and get a US passport if you are not a citizen.  FYI:  "FAIR" is where you go to ride the rides and eat cotton candy.  It has nothing to do with real life.

Correct, he was a green card holder until he switched over. Haha, how cute lol... but I understand.

"I only have one. I feel like by having two, it's better than one."  WHY?  What exactly would you do with another passport?  How often do you travel over seas or outside the US?  I have had a US passport since I was 14 and I travel quite a bit and do way better with Global Entry, TSA PreCheck and my US passport.  I have never felt the need for a "back up" from another country.   Well, until the recent economic and political disaster in this country.  I have been giving serious consideration to moving out and giving up US citizenship but that will not be done on a whim.  LOTS of planning and research before I would ever pull that pin.

With the other one, I would have more countries to visit instead of paying a fee for a visa and plus I could travel back to that country of which I'm a citizen of, and not have to worry about 3 months nor 6 months stay and let the embassy know. I could come back in a year or two, if I feel like it. I don't know if giving up the US citizenship would be a good idea and yet I feel like it would be risky if I do cause then I wouldn't be able to do anything and would be homeless with no passport unless you could pick another passport to replace it.

"But, if I don't work in one country, why do I have to pay taxes? I don't understand."

The US requires you pay taxes on all money earned regardless of where in the universe you earn it.  Go to work for any major employer around the globe and they are going to report it to the IRS.  The major problem travel medical people, teachers, and others make is the taxes technically aren't due until your return to US soil.  That is why many of these employers say "tax free" but what they really mean is while you are in Dubai or where ever.  Once you come back here the IRS will be all over you.

Well yeah, they're going to report it to the IRS, but if you're working say in Italy, wouldn't you pay taxes to only in the country that you reside? You're meaning to tell me you have to pay both taxes to both countries even if working in one country? That doesn't make sense... I say that's double taxation! I hate that "tax free" nothing in this world is tax free, you pay taxes on everything even when you pass away...

ANY country that gives you a passport for their country is going to want you to have their citizenship which then means any money you earn here can also be taxed by them. That is the responsiblity of a citizen.  I know Israel is one country that requires you to prove that you have sufficient income to support yourself and/or your family or they won't grant you residency let alone citizenship.  Brazil won't even let US citizens get a vistors visa without showing proof of income and 3 months worth of bank statements.  I would imagine a passport or citizinship would require way more.  Unless you are one of the uber wealthy who can buy a property or sink $500k or more into a political "investment" to get a golden passport (google it) or dual citizenship this isn't going to happen.  

Yeah forget it... I would rather move to Thailand on a 5 year visa for $25K or so, all these other countries want $100K+, with the government you never know they just take your money and tell you to wait for who knows how long, might never even get it.

Message 8 of 12
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

The issue is once your get it then what do you want to do with it?

Are you planning to travel outside of US and go in-between countries with your second passport and then come back to US with your US passport? You are going to be asked where have you gone to and why your US passport is not stamped?

Are you planning to travel to other countries incognito with 2nd passport so US would not find out? Or worse, other countries would not find out? Are you planning to go to countries that are not in good term with US such as, Cuba, Venezuela, N. Korea, Iran, Afghanistan, Belarus etc...? Do you really want to do that?

Also traveling with other passport usually requires Visa, however with US passport many countries don't require visa entry.

Coming back to US you have to explain why you didn't have your US passport stamped! Red Flags all over.

There is no cool factor for having 2nd passport once you have a privilege of having US passport.

Just for the record, I have 2 passports.

Message 9 of 12
iced
Valued Contributor

@CYBERSAM wrote:

@GhostCredit wrote:

I would not recommend randomly becoming some other countries citizen! Unless you are married to one or planning to migrate elsewhere, you could bring unwanted attention to yourself!

US Citizenship is the strongest passport you can have. You don't want to be flagged as spy or drug/arms dealer!

However there are some countries that would easily give you second Citizenship if you are American citizen, such as Canada, Australia, Israel(if your Jewish) etc.

I would also agree that one shouldn't go looking for a way to get a second passport, and most people who do have two are able to do so through some other legitimate reason (some of which are mentioned already).

I cannot agree that a US passport is the "strongest" passport out there, and it's rather closer to the opposite. US passport holders require a visa to more countries than many other passports (including Canadian), and work opportunities abroad are even slimmer. The "strongest" passports out there are from European nations such as Germany: they not only get full EU privileges, but their diplomatic relations are better with more nations than the US.

The above is also likely the reason that "someone" the OP heard from encouraged them to get a second passport. However, unless you plan on doing business with/living somewhere that doesn't have an open policy with the US, there's no real benefit to chasing a second passport other than possibly getting faster/shorter lines in customs in more countries -- and that's a pretty weak reason to do this.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.