Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short term hit for long term gain?

tag
DSFA
Established Member

Short term hit for long term gain?

I'm trying to wrap my head around rebuilding now that I've got all of my credit reports. It's very interesting how the different CRA's view things differently, but I digress.

Current scores:

EX - 603

EQ - 613 (started at 622 but dropped due to an added recent medical collection and HP from Fingerhut)

TU - 635

I have a couple of baddies that are due to fall off this year as well as a couple of recent medical collections that I'm sending off PFD letters for today. There's an account that shows a few 30 day lates (two of which occurred after I traded the car in and should not have been reported, but I'll save that for another time) as well as a couple of paid charge off's I'm going to try to GW. 

On a side note, if the PFD's are not successful the first time, how many times should I try before I just go ahead and pay it? I can PIF for all of them. 

I've opened a fingerhut fresh start account and am waiting for my first shipment so I can start establishing a new TL. I took a hit on EQ for a hard pull for Fingerhut. Not sure why, but it is what it is.

I recevied my tax refund and am contemplating a secured card or two. If I understand what I've read in the forum, it looks like at least two cards (keeping one at a zero balance and one with no more than 9%) will raise scores. With my scores, can anyone recommend a good secured card? I have up to 1000.00 that I can use for a deposit. Will applying for a secured card cause a further hit (HP)? If so, is that something I should even worry about or is it worth it in the long run? A couple of short term inquiry hits vs. the longer term gain of new positive TLs. 

I am not planning any major purchases in the next few years, so I don't necessarily need to raise my scores quickly. My ultimate goal is to get to at least 750 but if that takes me a couple of years, I'm good with that. 

Am I on the right track?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
DSFA
Established Member

Re: Short term hit for long term gain?

Bump
Message 2 of 5
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

Hello.

What about capital one for a secured card? I just got approved with them as well as the fingerhut, I figure since fingerhut has a balance, to NOT use my capital one card just yet. I also heard that the annual fee is charged up front, so I'll pay that so I'm at a 0 balance. Try it, you can put the whole 1,000 down if you like. 

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 3 of 5
queen_britt2003
Contributor

I had scores lower than yours & was approved for a BOA secured card.  It was unsecured after a year.  I've read many accounts on here of people getting approved for the secured card & immediately calling in & asking that it be converted to the 123 Cash or Travel Rewards card.  There is a backdoor number on the credit card boards.

Starting Scores (2012) - 545-600
Current Scores - FAKO CK (08.15.17) - TU 774, EQ 767
What's in My Wallet: CSP 10.9K CL, Walmart MasterCard 10,000, Discover IT Card CL 9000, BOA Cash Rewards 7500 CL, Tires Plus Card 2200, Discover Card (AU) CL 4000
(Gardening as of 8/15/17)

Message 4 of 5
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Unfortunately your recent CA activity on your reports is hurting you more than your scores. Join a CU or 2 and get secured cards that route. Don't worry about the inquiries to join. It will take at least 6 months of history on any new revolving accounts to really help you and by that time the inquires won't matter  (hurt the most for 6 months then 1yr etc). 

If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.