Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Secured Credit Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Secured Credit Card

Hello everyone,

I would like to know what is the best way of using the Citi Secured Credit Card? I have a $200 limit. Should I charge it all the way up to the limit and pay it in full each month or do I have leave a small balance of 1%-9% for the next 18 months? Thanks for your help everyone. 

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Secured Credit Card

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone,

I would like to know what is the best way of using the Citi Secured Credit Card? I have a $200 limit. Should I charge it all the way up to the limit and pay it in full each month or do I have leave a small balance of 1%-9% for the next 18 months? Thanks for your help everyone. 

Hey, OP!

Thanks for posting.

From I have read here, charging up all the way and paying in full every month is a good way of letting Citi know that you can handle a higher-limit card. However, doing so could hurt your scores---unless you let a small balance report to the credit bureaus. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is the problem I see, there is no definitive answer.  This should be interesting for sure. 

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

This is the problem I see, there is no definitive answer.  This should be interesting for sure. 

I know. IMHO, use the card how you see fit. Citi should unsecure the card regardless. Just make sure you are current during the 18-month period.

Message 4 of 8
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone,

I would strongly suggest to utilize approx 5% ($10.00) per billing cycle and PIF EVERY month until the account graduates to unsecured status. All persons (personally known to me) were advised by me to follow this method. All of them substantially benefited later with fast unsecuring of account and large CLIs. Good luck!

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 5 of 8
Cookiegrabber
Regular Contributor

I can only say what I do personally on my $200 Discover secured -- I just keep using it and PIF every 2-3 days, then leave a $2.something balance before the statement date so it reports as 1% util.

It's a pain but I end up reviewing every purchase multiple times a month, and I've learned that I buy too much cheap stuff from China. Smiley Tongue

Starting Scores: No Scores (03/2018)
Current Scores: 779 - 789 (08/2023)
Goal Scores: 780 across the board

Current Total Credit Limit: $109,900 (08/2023)
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SOGGIE wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone,

I would strongly suggest to utilize approx 5% ($10.00) per billing cycle and PIF EVERY month until the account graduates to unsecured status. All persons (personally known to me) were advised by me to follow this method. All of them substantially benefited later with fast unsecuring of account and large CLIs. Good luck!

Thanks for the data point, SOGGIE. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks SOGGIE, 

Are you saying only spend up to $10.00 on the card and never spend more than this? 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.