cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge off came off early -only for Equifax?

tag
JM761
Regular Contributor

Charge off came off early -only for Equifax?

Looking for guidance from others with experience...

I have a paid charge off w Comenity bank. Date of first delinquency was 11/2018. It charged off in 2019 or so. I paid the collection agency sometime in 2022. 

This month, Equifax removed the charge for from my account. It remains on EX and TU though. 

Is this normal for Equifax?

My EQ FICO 8 score dropped 10 points...the only changes I could see are that two closed comenity bank accounts were removed, which dropped my average age of accounts and the # of reported accounts (one was a closed store card in good standing but very old, the other way this charged off store card that was last in good standing in 2018).

Its only been 5 years - I thought i had another 2 years? 

Any thoughts on why it happened and if I can get TU and EX to also remove? (Although, maybe I don't want to if it caused the 10 point drop bc of my thin file?)

Thanks in advance! 

For reference: current fico 8 scores are between 725 - 730. Equifax was at 741 until this update. All accounts up to date with low utilization on cards. 2 other charge offs waiting to fall off in 2 years. 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
GZG
Valued Contributor

Re: Charge off came off early -only for Equifax?

are you in New York?

other than that, it shouldn't have come off, perhaps you might see it come back or it will come off all three files, weirder things have happened

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 2 of 11
JM761
Regular Contributor

Hi - thanks for replying! 

No, I'm not in NY but just over the border. My state is definitely 7 years. I wonder if maybe it's a glitch in the system? I opened the charged off account when I was in CT but the other older Comenity (closed but good standing) I opened when I was in NY. Maybe some wires crossed and they removed all Comenity? So weird!

I was tempted to reach out to them but I don't want to poke the bear so I won't!

@GZG wrote:

are you in New York?

other than that, it shouldn't have come off, perhaps you might see it come back or it will come off all three files, weirder things have happened

Message 3 of 11
GZG
Valued Contributor

@JM761 wrote:

No, I'm not in NY but just over the border. My state is definitely 7 years. I wonder if maybe it's a glitch in the system? I opened the charged off account when I was in CT but the other older Comenity (closed but good standing) I opened when I was in NY. Maybe some wires crossed and they removed all Comenity? So weird!

I was tempted to reach out to them but I don't want to poke the bear so I won't!

@GZG wrote:

are you in New York?

yeah since you're waiting for other CO's to fall off, there really isn't any reason to poke the bear here 

particularly if this CO falling off did make your EQ file clean, in which case you definitely wouldn't want to poke the bear you could rebuild faster with EQ pullers if your EQ was clean

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 4 of 11
JM761
Regular Contributor

@GZG wrote:

@JM761 wrote:

@GZG wrote:

are you in New York?

yeah since you're waiting for other CO's to fall off, there really isn't any reason to poke the bear here 

particularly if this CO falling off did make your EQ file clean, in which case you definitely wouldn't want to poke the bear you could rebuild faster with EQ pullers if your EQ was clean

That's a really great point...thank you! I have no clue why it happened but I'll just be greatful and watch to see if it returns to the CR. 

Thanks for the sound advice! Waiting for these CO to drop off is like watching paint dry...I was getting antsy!

@GZG wrote:

@JM761 wrote:

@GZG wrote:

are you in New York?

Message 5 of 11
GZG
Valued Contributor

@JM761 wrote:

@GZG wrote:

@JM761 wrote:

@GZG wrote:

are you in New York?

That's a really great point...thank you! I have no clue why it happened but I'll just be greatful and watch to see if it returns to the CR. 

Thanks for the sound advice! Waiting for these CO to drop off is like watching paint dry...I was getting antsy!

@GZG wrote:

@JM761 wrote:

@GZG wrote:

are you in New York?

there's no reason not to start rebuilding now, discover secured, us bank secured, perhaps a cap1 savor one/walmart/quicksilver or something? 

I wouldn't get something you won't want to keep in the future, but there are still good options

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 6 of 11
Twotimesacharm
Regular Contributor

Hi!

I was wondering if this ever came back on? Comenity just dropped off two years early on my EX only (defaulted in 2018 as well). I did notice they did a soft pull on EX the same month they dropped it.

Message 7 of 11
Blender
Established Contributor

First, **bleep** Comenity. Opened a complaint with CFPB for multiple payment issues over 2 years. Hopefully its resolved in my favor then Ill close the card down.

I have had EQ randomly fall off way before the on record dates and not the other two. It falling off of EQ is not a reason for EX or TU to remove it, so dont try lol.

4/2024

Message 8 of 11
Twotimesacharm
Regular Contributor

Oh, I whole heartedly agree with your first statement! When I wrote them a goodwill letter, the woman called, was SO nasty, pretty much hung up on me, then updated my report to show it was a new collection, which caused over a 20 point drop. Thankfully, I had previous reports saved and was able to dispute directly with the bureau. It took a bit, but it was corrected. 

I'm hoping it stays off. Can't imagine why they did a soft pull when they are still on my other bureaus. Never again.

Message 9 of 11
JM761
Regular Contributor

I'm sorry I missed your message from a few months ago. I must not have gotten the alert! 

The charger off never came back on my Equifax report and it also hasn't dropped from my EX or TU reports either. 

I'm about to make another update, which is that another charge off came off my EQ this month but not the others. So strange!

@Twotimesacharm wrote:

Hi!

I was wondering if this ever came back on? Comenity just dropped off two years early on my EX only (defaulted in 2018 as well). I did notice they did a soft pull on EX the same month they dropped it.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.