cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Came out of Ch. 13 (discharge signed 11 days ago). Approved for Ally and Cap 1. What next?

tag
afarr

Came out of Ch. 13 (discharge signed 11 days ago). Approved for Ally and Cap 1. What next?

I get emails all the time from Credit Sesame and Credit Karma.   Just came out of Ch 13 (100% paid).   Nothing much showing on my credit (normal student loan and mortgage not reporting yet, no auto loans).    Credit Karma sent an email with 'you have outstanding odds'.   Went will Ally cash back....figuring worst case, there's a hard pull and if I'm declined I'll take CK's $50 guarantee money....approved for $4K!

Get an email from Credit Sesame a day later...'see if you're pre approved for Cap 1 with no effect on your credit'...what the hell...choice of cards (went with Platinum) $3k approved.

Wow....figured it would be a while to get any credit.   Now I want to get my numbers up.    All Zero except one.   I'm going to use one for a low $$ recurring payment that comes out of my (via Debit card) checking account.   If advised here, I'll do the same on the other (Say $18 for netflix on one, maybe $30 for Visible mobile on the other?).     I'm fine on paying all bills from paychecks (and have left over money at the end of the month that goes into savings in addition to the regular pull ) from my income.

Any thoughts on the next steps to build better credit.   

Feels good to have 'backup' in case of emergency expenses.   I want to use them enough to keep them active, but NOT use them in general.    

Any suggestions?    Watch for my scores to go up and ask for a credit line increase or try for another card in 6? months?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Creditgirl23
Established Member

Re: Came out of Ch. 13 (discharge signed 11 days ago). Approved for Ally and Cap 1. What next?

Good luck on your journey but keep in mind that credit karma and credit sesame are marketing machines and their tactic is to make money,not help you have good credit. My advice to you as someone that has been with CAP1  for years. Use the card responsibly and around the six month mark you first check for upgrade options through the site or calling customer service. If upgrade is a no go try for a credit limit increase. You dont need multple cards to build your credit. Try to focus on showing responsible behaviors with on time payments and proper utilization. You will start to get better offers in no time. You have a clean slate to work with. keep reading through the forums. at times I come here and read up on cards before  I pull  the trigger.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.