cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Charge Off

tag
mainscars

AMEX Charge Off

Hello all, i have been reading for over 2 years now on this forum and i would like to say thank you to everyone who posted questions and to everyone that puts in the time to reply. This is my first post so please forgive me if i break any rules.

For the last two months i decided to take action and take care of my debts. Today i called Amex collection department and payed off an account i have opened in Nov 11, 2015 and charged off in May 08, 2019. 

I was offered the optima card if i pay in full. I asked the rep if i want a different card if i settle in full (ie. the original card). He told me if i accept the optima card then i wont be eligible for any amex card for the next 7 months. Hence he told me "since your financial circumstances changed and you might be interested in your original Amex card or another Amex card i would advice you to not accept the optima card".

He said within 35 days from the day i make the payment i will be eligible for any amex product (off course will depend on my credit score when i apply) but amex will not consider this account as bad debt or charged off nor will i be black listed. 

So i decided to pay the debt in full and opt out of the optima option. 

In 35 days I will update here how it goes and how it gets reported to the CRAs and if my score changes.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Caligirl2714
New Visitor

Re: AMEX Charge Off

First off, congrats on paying it off!  Please keep us posted.  I'm curious about anyone who has been given the optimal card and has been able to apply for a new AMEX after the fact.  

Regarding your current account, who did you call?  I'm in similar shoes. 

Message 2 of 5
FlaDude
Established Contributor

Thanks for the data points about paying off the account and the credit card rules around that.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 3 of 5
mainscars

@Caligirl2714 wrote:

First off, congrats on paying it off!  Please keep us posted.  I'm curious about anyone who has been given the optimal card and has been able to apply for a new AMEX after the fact.  

Regarding your current account, who did you call?  I'm in similar shoes. 

Usually they send an email or in my case text message with a link to check your options. The link: https://www.americanexpress.com/en-us/support/credit/we-can-help

The number i called was on that website: 1-833-637-0669

Message 4 of 5
sjt
Senior Contributor

Congrats on paying the Amex off!

You might want to periodically check your credit reports to see if Amex updated payment. Once its updated you should be able to apply for an Amex.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.