Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Umbrella insurance

tag
babbles
Established Contributor

Re: Umbrella insurance

same with USAA, that umbrella keeps getting wider and wider with the addition of anything and had to raise our liability limits to 300k,

good point!

Message 11 of 33
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

To get umbrella insurance, the auto insurance should be 250k/500k and the home insurnace should be 300k/600k.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 12 of 33
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@xenon3030 wrote:

To get umbrella insurance, the auto insurance should be 250k/500k and the home insurnace should be 300k/600k.

that must be for a specific company, as 300/300 worked for us for auto.   What even is the home insurance limits there?

Message 13 of 33
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

The limits possibly depend on the insurance company and also the property type (for home insurance). My atuo insurance max policy was 250k/500k (the upgrade from 100k/300k required only paying a few cents more per month!!!).

BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 14 of 33
Aim_High
Super Contributor

I personally don't recommend umbrella insurance. 

When my umbrella breaks, I just buy another one!  Smiley Very Happy 

*The Samsonite Windguard Auto Open Umbrella comes highly recommended at only $26.25 on sale now. 

Apologies but I couldn't help myself as this was my first thought when I saw the thread title.  Smiley Tongue

Windguard Auto Open/Close Umbrella in the color Black. image number 1

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$900K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0 - SYCH - 65.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 15 of 33
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Lol. It might be better to label it as PUP (Personal Umbrella Policy). Anyway, it is not easy to shop PUP and I am still in the market.

RLI was asking for a 500k/500k coverage by my car insurance (CA requirement). My car insurance maximum coverage is 250k/500k (Metromile).

Markel did not like my car insurance financial rating and asked to change my car insurance Smiley Happy

Stillwater did not like one minor at-fault incident in the past 5 years Smiley Happy.

I talked to a few Chubb agencies and it seems that they are mainly supporting very rich customers (with helicopter, several antique cars, ...).

Message 16 of 33
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Following your post, I decided to shop around as I thought at least my house policy was too expensive.   The independent agent came up with a package where car insurance was about $100 more, home was $600 less and (outside the package, because we have a dog breed the auto/home insurance company doesn't like) umbrella was $200 more.  Total was about $2,800.  To be fair, some features were better, such as the home insurnace covering $1M liability rather than $300K

As the agent didn't take credit cards without a 3.5% surcharge, the savings were fairly small.    So I called my existing company (Geico) and they came with a better home insurance for $650 less, while keeping the other coverages, so a fairly big win!

Thanks @xenon3030 even if that wasn't the intention of your post!

Message 17 of 33
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Sounds good @longtimelurker. I will check with them tomorrow to get quotations on home/auto bundles and PUP (to issue PUP, Geico needs either home or auto policy with them).

Bundling might not always help to reduce the entire insurance cost. Each of my home and car insurance is around $1200/year (total~$2400) while I am getting quotations of even ~7k from some agents (bundled) to be able to get Umbrella policy from that specific provider (PUP~$300). They also say that it is hard for them to beat my current home and auto policy rates, even with bundling.

Message 18 of 33
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@longtimelurker wrote:

I'm with Geico (well, home insurance is through Liberty Mutual through Geico).   For Umbrella, we had to increase some limits on Auto Insurance (I think some categories went from $100K/$300K ( per person/per incident) to $300k/$300K which wasn't too expensive).

Once we moved the property into a trust we had some issues, being told, wrongly, that they cannot deal with that.

So not a strong recommendation, just much much cheaper for auto than our old insurance (metlife), but part of that might have been that you should never stick with an insurance company, new ones give better rates!

Geico is on the higher end right now because they're aggressively raising their rates. All the other insurance companies are behind the curve. They'll catch up eventually and Geico will look like a bargain again. 

Message 19 of 33
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Geico says that in CA, they use RLI to issue a personal umbrella policy. Since RLI needs a 500k/500k auto coverage, one option is moving my auto insurance to Geico to increase my limit from 250k/500k to 500k/500k but Geico's auto quotation was more than 2x of my current rate. I keep looking...

Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.