Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Umbrella insurance

tag
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Umbrella insurance

I plan to shop umbrella insurance (~2M coverage). Despite the simplicity to obtain quotation on auto and home insurances using online tools and websites, not all places provide umbrella coverage. To obtain a quotation, a direct call to the provider is also needed. Several providers also need auto or home insurance with them to be able to provide coverage or do not cover some states.

Which umbrella insurance do you use or recommend? Does it provide coverage both for domestic (all states) and international?

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Umbrella insurance

@xenon3030 wrote:

I plan to shop umbrella insurance (~2M coverage). Despite the simplicity to obtain quotation on auto and home insurances using online tools and websites, not all places provide umbrella coverage. To obtain a quotation, a direct call to the provider is also needed. Several providers also need auto or home insurance with them to be able to provide coverage or do not cover some states.

Which umbrella insurance do you use or recommend? Does it provide coverage both for domestic (all states) and international?

As of 20 or more years ago, when I last had an experience with it, Chubb was pretty good. They're certainly one to look at, but I would never recommend any insurance company, because from what I have seen none of them are any good.

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 710

Message 2 of 33
babbles
Established Contributor

I use USAA, have been for about four years now, they give great discounts for multi products 

Message 3 of 33
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

I called USAA a few days ago and I was told that their insurance plans are limited to USAA members (veterans). It was despite the information on their webpage.

BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 4 of 33
babbles
Established Contributor

My apologies, I should have clarified that it's limited to military members 

Message 5 of 33
GreatLife
Regular Contributor

Travelers constantly extended offers to us for an umbrella policy. When we finally said OK, all was good & super easy until their checklist asked about other properties. They wouldn't umbrella because we owned a vacant duplex even though it was insured by another company. Also to note that standard Travelers won't include or offer flood insurance, but earthquake is an option. We never got to a point of asking if those would differ under umbrella. Perhaps call and inquire if they can assist your needs.

Good Luck

Message 6 of 33
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Some insurance agents helped me on quotations from https://www.personalumbrella.com (got quotations from Markel and RLI). I am going with Markel now (covering both domestic and internatinal). Next year, I may spend more time to get more quotations from other places like Chubb.

I found it not straightforward to receive quotations on umbrella insurance (possibly auto and home insurance are their primary products). Not all insurances or agencies also cover it. Several insurance providers like Travelers/progressive provide umbrella only if having auto or home insurance with them. Bundling might not also help to reduce the net cost.

Message 7 of 33
MileHigh96
Frequent Contributor

I use State Farm for our umbrella insurance. We also have our auto and homeowners insurance through them as well. There's a discount on premiums (usually) when you bundle your insurance with one company.
BK7 discharged - 06JUL2021
Loans:

Revolving Accounts (in the order they were opened):

Closed accounts:
Message 8 of 33
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

StateFarm recently does not provide coverage in CA (no auto, no umbrella).

Message 9 of 33
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I'm with Geico (well, home insurance is through Liberty Mutual through Geico).   For Umbrella, we had to increase some limits on Auto Insurance (I think some categories went from $100K/$300K ( per person/per incident) to $300k/$300K which wasn't too expensive).

Once we moved the property into a trust we had some issues, being told, wrongly, that they cannot deal with that.

So not a strong recommendation, just much much cheaper for auto than our old insurance (metlife), but part of that might have been that you should never stick with an insurance company, new ones give better rates!

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.