cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to check whether my bank account is "contaminated"?

tag
TyrannicalDuncery2
Contributor

How to check whether my bank account is "contaminated"?

I have a bank account and I treat it as contaminated in some way, however I'm probably being a silly person. Wondering whether you have ideas on how to check this.

A few years ago I tried to sign up for a fintech and fund it from this bank account, and the fintech immediately banned me with no reason given. I don't think there's anything wrong with the bank account, but I've avoided using it much ever since then.

So my thought was that I could try signing up to some more fintechs and fund my accounts from this bank account, and see what happens. Does that make sense? Any other ideas?

I'm guessing that my best options are a) do nothing, b) do the above but it won't tell me much because every fintech will have different screening processes. I can go into the details of the original ban if you want. Basically I'm "clean" according to every metric I know, I was back then as well, but I did have some other red flags which I'm guessing led to the ban (I was outside my home state and funding from a young bank account from US Bank which doesn't use Chex).

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

Re: How to check whether my bank account is "contaminated"?

USB does early warning systems. I don't see that as the problem. It's more likely the fintech didn't like what they saw on whatever report they pulled. I'd check both early warning and chex. Maybe check Lexus nexus and innovis too.

Message 2 of 4
TyrannicalDuncery2
Contributor

Thanks @FicoMike0. Those first three were good at the time, I don't remember whether I pulled Innovis. Good idea.

If they did use a consumer report to make this decision, do you know whether they need to give me an adverse action notice under like the ECOA or something?

Message 3 of 4
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

In pretty sure they're supposed to. 

I just noticed today that tu has a deposit account section. I never noticed it before.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.