Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citibank changing terms for checking accounts

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Citibank changing terms for checking accounts

Be sure to read the fine print in Citibank's new checking account terms. If you're not presently paying a monthly maintenance fee, investigate and make sure you won't be hit with a maintenance fee once the new terms are fully implemented.

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 710

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
GZG
Valued Contributor

Re: Citibank changing terms for checking accounts

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Be sure to read the fine print in Citibank's new checking account terms. If you're not presently paying a monthly maintenance fee, investigate and make sure you won't be hit with a maintenance fee once the new terms are fully implemented.

are they getting worse for any current customers?

doing the current $300 bonus checking offer with them now and the reqs to waive fees seem comically lower than they probably used to be 

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 2 of 28
Blender
Established Contributor

@GZG wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

doing the current $300 bonus checking offer with them now and the reqs to waive fees seem comically lower than they probably used to be 

Same here. I don't expect to apply for any citi products any time soon so I'll close once bonus hits. I should probably live chat to make sure the bonus was attached at open tho

4/2024

Message 3 of 28
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@GZG wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Yes. The terms are changing for existing customers.  E.g., someone who currently has the maintenance fee waived because they're over 62 years now has a $15 month maintenance fee, unless they make $250 per month direct deposits, or leave $1500 sitting there, or jump through some other hoops.

Message 4 of 28
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Blender wrote:

@GZG wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Same here. I don't expect to apply for any citi products any time soon so I'll close once bonus hits. I should probably live chat to make sure the bonus was attached at open tho

I never bite on Citibank's offers, because I always felt they are the type of outfit that would someday find a way to bite me back. They only like rich people as customers.

Message 5 of 28
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica  Citibank is not the only bank or credit union that has some sort of relationship rewards.  I am sure that statement is not news. Most internet based banks and credit unions do not charge the long list of fees that the bricks and mortor banks do.  Nor do you have to jump through the hoops in order to avoid the fee(s). Citi recently closed the branch closest to my home.  I tried a relationship rewards based credit union it did not work for me their interest rates were not competitive on savings and CD's. 

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 6 of 28
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@AndySoCal wrote:

@SouthJamaica  Citibank is not the only bank or credit union that has some sort of relationship rewards.  I am sure that statement is not news. Most internet based banks and credit unions do not charge the long list of fees that the bricks and mortor banks do.  Nor do you have to jump through the hoops in order to avoid the fee(s). Citi recently closed the branch closest to my home.  I tried a relationship rewards based credit union it did not work for me their interest rates were not competitive on savings and CD's. 

I use nice non-greedy credit unions mostly. I have one greedy bank that I do use for convenience, and keep them at bay with some direct deposits.

Message 7 of 28
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Thanks SJ.

So, I put in $75k some 1.5 years ago for the $1000 bonus.  Since then, I have basically emptied my accounts but I left $100 in each (Checking, Savings) just to keep them open.  I do not want a monthly fee!  Will I be imposed a fee?  

capture.png

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 8 of 28
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@ptatohed wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Thanks SJ.

So, I put in $75k some 1.5 years ago for the $1000 bonus.  Since then, I have basically emptied my accounts but I left $100 in each (Checking, Savings) just to keep them open.  I do not want a monthly fee!  Will I be imposed a fee?  

capture.png

Yes unless you either make $250 month in direct deposits or leave $1500 sitting in the account (or have a lot of money sitting somewhere else with them).  At least that's the way I interpret their 10 page single spaced doubletalk calculated to defy comprehension.

Message 9 of 28
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Thanks SJ.

capture.png

Yes unless you either make $250 month in direct deposits or leave $1500 sitting in the account (or have a lot of money sitting somewhere else with them).  At least that's the way I interpret their 10 page single spaced doubletalk calculated to defy comprehension.

Wow.  Thank you for the head's up and the explanation.  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.