cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you buy down rates with builder incentives?

tag
ProudTox2014

Would you buy down rates with builder incentives?

We are buying a new construtction homes. I'm trying to make the best choice for the family. I need outside opinion to make sure I'm thinking about this correctly.

DetailsOption1Option2
Loan Amount358215358215
Points 06.625
Cost of Points023732
Rate0.07160.055
Total Closing Cost3446353676
Cash to Close115835135049

The builder is offering 25K builder credit with etheir option. So After the incentives it is either $90836 cash to close with 7.16% or $110049 cash to close with 5.5%.

Does it make sense to buy the rate down to 5.5% with the builder incentives? I have the cash available and after payment will have a few months of emergency funds.

We re intending to stay in the house for 10 or more years unless a job is moving us away.

Thank you all for your opinions

18 REPLIES 18
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: Would you buy down rates with builder incentives?

What do the numbers (monthly payments paid) say for Option 1 vs Option 2 after the 10 years?

Points can be a tax advantage item  in year 1.

Message 2 of 19
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@ProudTox2014 wrote:

We are buying a new construtction homes. I'm trying to make the best choice for the family. I need outside opinion to make sure I'm thinking about this correctly.

DetailsOption1Option2
Loan Amount358215358215
Points 06.625
Cost of Points023732
Rate0.07160.055
Total Closing Cost3446353676
Cash to Close115835135049

The builder is offering 25K builder credit with etheir option. So After the incentives it is either $90836 cash to close with 7.16% or $110049 cash to close with 5.5%.

Does it make sense to buy the rate down to 5.5% with the builder incentives? I have the cash available and after payment will have a few months of emergency funds.

We re intending to stay in the house for 10 or more years unless a job is moving us away.

Thank you all for your opinions

I'm in home buying mode right now and am working with an experienced MLO, he said, "Under no circumstances should you pay points right now."  Why?  Because with rates as high as they are today it is HIGHLY unlikely you'll be net-positive before you refinance due to lower rates.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 3 of 19
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

What state are you buying in?  $34k of closing costs (before points) on a $358k loan amount is insanely high.  

If the amount of points being charged is $23,732 then why does your funds to close only increase by $19,214 with that option?

Assuming these rates are for a 30-year term then the difference in monthly P&I payment is $2,421.83 vs. $2,045.16, or $386.67/mo.  You'd pay $19,214 more at closing to get that benefit, meaning after 50 payments you'd breakeven, not factoring in the cost of inflation.  To me that is a little longer than I'd like to break even, there is also a reasonable chance that rates will get down into the 5's within by end of 2025, although that chance isn't as great as was projected to be just a few months ago but still a good chance that in the next 1-2 years a 5.500% rate will cost a lot less than 6.625 points.  My gut says to take the higher rate and refinance when rates move lower.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 19
ProudTox2014

@NoMoreE46 wrote:

What do the numbers (monthly payments paid) say for Option 1 vs Option 2 after the 10 years?

Points can be a tax advantage item  in year 1.

I did a quick calculation and the answer is in the table below

Rate7.12%5.50%
Principal Paid79K89K
Interest267K203K

So that is a saving of > 60K in interest over 10 years

Message 5 of 19
ProudTox2014

@ShanetheMortgageMan wrote:

What state are you buying in?  $34k of closing costs (before points) on a $358k loan amount is insanely high.  

If the amount of points being charged is $23,732 then why does your funds to close only increase by $19,214 with that option?

Assuming these rates are for a 30-year term then the difference in monthly P&I payment is $2,421.83 vs. $2,045.16, or $386.67/mo.  You'd pay $19,214 more at closing to get that benefit, meaning after 50 payments you'd breakeven, not factoring in the cost of inflation.  To me that is a little longer than I'd like to break even, there is also a reasonable chance that rates will get down into the 5's within by end of 2025, although that chance isn't as great as was projected to be just a few months ago but still a good chance that in the next 1-2 years a 5.500% rate will cost a lot less than 6.625 points.  My gut says to take the higher rate and refinance when rates move lower.

Thank you for your suggestion

I'm in PA so the prepaids are insanely high.

Prepaids includes like 13 months of tax escrow ~ 11K

1 year of insurance escrow ~ 1K

and 21 days interests + 3months of insurance

Do they charge fees when you refinance? Do you pay point at refinance also? New to this. The points are pretty much covered by the builder incentives.

Message 6 of 19
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

In PA that still seems very high, but since it's new construction usually the builder doesn't pay for any of the transfer taxes so the full 2% would be shifted over to your side of the settlement statement to pay for.  Regardless, you'd have to post an image of the 1st two pages of your Loan Estimate as images here (blacking out the personal information) to get a full analysis.

Yes, closing costs are charged on a refinance but there are no transfer taxes to pay.  You still would have underwriting/lender fees ($1k-$2k), credit report ($75-150), appraisal (around $600), title insurance & settlement/closing fee (will come out to around $2,500), and then recording charges (around $150).  You also set up a new escrow account (prepaids), but will get a refund from your current loan's escrow account that makes that part pretty close to a wash.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Message 7 of 19
ProudTox2014

@ShanetheMortgageMan wrote:

In PA that still seems very high, but since it's new construction usually the builder doesn't pay for any of the transfer taxes so the full 2% would be shifted over to your side of the settlement statement to pay for.  Regardless, you'd have to post an image of the 1st two pages of your Loan Estimate as images here (blacking out the personal information) to get a full analysis.

Yes, closing costs are charged on a refinance but there are no transfer taxes to pay.  You still would have underwriting/lender fees ($1k-$2k), credit report ($75-150), appraisal (around $600), title insurance & settlement/closing fee (will come out to around $2,500), and then recording charges (around $150).  You also set up a new escrow account (prepaids), but will get a refund from your current loan's escrow account that makes that part pretty close to a wash.

Unfortunately the forum won't let me post pictures. Anybody knows of a way to do that?

Message 8 of 19
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

You have to make sure "Rich Text" is selected, then you can upload them by clicking on the "photos" that I've circled in red below.

Screenshot 2024-04-05 161057.png

Alternatively you can upload them to a 3rd party website, such as imgur, then post the link to it here.

Message 9 of 19
ProudTox2014

The rich text is not working for me.

Here is the link to the image: https://postimg.cc/kR93G3g7

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.