cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New... facing adjustable mortgage... need help?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New... facing adjustable mortgage... need help?

Hello.

We bought our house 2 years ago - we live in California - land of high cost everything. We bought our home for $317k, and financed 100%. (I am sure you can see where this is going).

At the time we were looking for a bigger place for our family, and weren't able to find one to rent (we had 5 children, now have 6 - and another on the way).. we looked into home ownership thinking there was no way, we wanted more education on what we needed to do to make ourselves ready - to get a grasp on what we needed, etc. Well, welcome to the world of the loan sharks... and the sub prime market! My fiancee has some derogatory stuff (old medical collections) - and I had 2 things that are now gone (they were about to expire)..

We found an all too eager realtor, who we actually liked who we thought was really in it for us.. and a mortgage broker he referred us to. We got into a 40 year mortgage with a fixed 2 year rate, then an ARM for our 1st mortgage, (the second is fixed, but with a horrendous interest rate) with the assurance from all involved that it would be SO easy and NO problem to refinance before it EVER went adjustable! ANd we'll have such a better rate, what with our payments always being on time - who wouldn't want to refi us!?

Yeah well.... now the market has dropped - which doesn't concern us as much as everything else - we're now upside down on our loan but never planned to move - we really plan to stay in this home forever. Except, that we can not refinance it - a couple of reasons. 1. the value of similar homes in the area is about 40k less than we bought ours for... 2. the new lending standards... 3. We have a high debt to income ratio - but all payments are timely and current. 4. we have little savings for any closing costs or fees.

We were notified by mail that we received yesterday, our mortgage is now being adjusted. When we were looking into refinancing we were told that most companies aren't actually adjusting the rates right now due to the foreclosure rates and new legislation... well no one told our company that.. Our payment is going up $180... beginning in December (Merry Christmas!).

I had thought about filing bankruptcy on my credit card debts in order to have more $ to go to the house, though I am guessing this will probably drive our rate up further - I admit I don't know how this works really.

I did contact the Mortgage company, they took some info from me and said they'd see IF they can help... they will 'notify us in 30 days'... well nice. Thanks! We're struggling but making our current payments OK... our mortgage is already nearly half of our income! Yeesh

(we have 6 children 1 with special needs [well, really 2 but one is undiagnosed].. and with a family as large as ours there are not really other options)

I have contaced the HOPE program, but am having trouble getting through due to so many people calling - I keep giving them my info but then getting disconnected. I had also contacted NACA re: their home save? program... i have to find some documents to get to them.

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

We really really don't want to lose our home, I'm scared and am not really sure what to do.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

Re: New... facing adjustable mortgage... need help?

No easy answer just stay on them and work hard to get them to modify it to a fixed rate.

Good Luck

Brian

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 2 of 3
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: New... facing adjustable mortgage... need help?

@Anonymous wrote:

I had thought about filing bankruptcy on my credit card debts in order to have more $ to go to the house, though I am guessing this will probably drive our rate up further - I admit I don't know how this works really.

That might affect rates on credit cards but it does not affect the rate on your current mortgage.  The rate on your current mortgage increases when the adjustment period comes up (either 6 or 12 months) the index adjusts that your mortgage rate is tied to.

I definitely recommend you keep on trying with HOPE and also patiently wait for your lenders loss mitigiation department to review your situation.  At least you are doing this now instead of waiting until December comes around.  Lastly, you should visit the forums at http://www.loansafe.org/forum/index.php and read up on others who have their mortgage with your same company and see how they went about getting a loan modification.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.