cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do to keep scores high and credit files attractive to banks?

tag
DoppelgangerD
Contributor

What to do to keep scores high and credit files attractive to banks?

Ok, so I had a BK7 about 9 yrs 10 months ago.

I've worked hard to rebuild perfect credit over that time.

BK7 already off TU and EX, with scores well into the 800s.

EQ at 771 now, so I'm sure it'll pop right up there with the others next month.

So since the BK7, the mortgage does not report to the bureaus, so no history there to help in that realm.

A few years ago I got a small auto loan to help build up the credit file, but I am down to 1 payment left.

Hope my scores don't tank when it's paid off (???).

I have quite a few very nice credit card accounts, around maybe 150k total CLs and average 1% utilization.

So in a month or so, my only active credit will be credit cards...

Is that ok?

I'm looking to buy another vehicle soon, and I can pay OOP for it, but should I be thinking about another small loan for it?

I'd hate to pay for Interest and fees if I don't have to.

I know quite a lot about credit cards, but certain aspects of how loans are viewed by the credit bureaus and scoring models is my weakest point.

Any advice from experts here is much appreciated. Thanks!

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Re: What to do to keep scores high and credit files attractive to banks?

@DoppelgangerD wrote:

So since the BK7, the mortgage does not report to the bureaus, so no history there to help in that realm.

A few years ago I got a small auto loan to help build up the credit file, but I am down to 1 payment left.

I have quite a few very nice credit card accounts, around maybe 150k total CLs and average 1% utilization.

Is that ok?

I'm looking to buy another vehicle soon, and I can pay OOP for it, but should I be thinking about another small loan for it?

I know quite a lot about credit cards, but certain aspects of how loans are viewed by the credit bureaus and scoring models is my weakest point.

Your best options will largely depend upon what interest rates you can get; I would argue:

• If you can get an auto loan for less than 5%, then you are better off taking the loan than paying out of pocket.
  • If you are looking at auto loan percentages in the 5% to 7% range, then it is a judgement call compared to the amount of growth you are getting from your investments.
  • If you're only able to get an auto loan above 7%, then pay cash for the vehicle.
  • If you opt for paying cash, then open up an SSL with say, PenFed or NFCU, pay it down to under 9%, and let that loan stand as your installment loan for the purposes of FICO scoring.

Eighteen months ago I was faced with a similar decision when I bought a fully tarted out Tacoma; at the time Toyota was offering 2.49% for 48 months so it was a no-brainer, I kept the cash and financed the vehicle.

Chapter 13:

• Burned: AMEX, Chase, Citi, Wells Fargo, and South County Bank (now Bank of Southern California)
  • Filed: 26-Feb-2015
  • MoC: 01-Mar-2015
  • 1st Payment (posted): 23-Mar-2015
  • Last Payment (posted): 07-Feb-2020
  • Discharged: 04-Mar-2020
  • Closed: 23-Jun-2020

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!

In the proverbial sock drawer:
Message 2 of 21
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

If your current auto loan is your only open loan, you could lose up to 20 - 30 points (on average) on your Fico 8 (and some other models) scores for "no open installment loan" once it's paid off.

However, you don't have to have an open loan to achieve 800++ scores. Many people around here use the saying "finances over Fico".

Over time, your scores will recover the losses without an open loan on your reports. Once scores go above 760, you're in a tier to get all the best rates and offers where credit cards and most other consumer credit products are concerned. For certain mortgage products the magic number is 780 but that's another discussion.

You could do the SSL loan trick to boost your scores, (some auto loans will also function the same way) which is completely fine, but then you can find yourself playing that game over, and over again.

This is just just my opinion but, why essentially pay for those scores with a loan you don't need when they'll get back up there again all on their own. You could likely put that money to better use elsewhere, like in a HYSA. 

Message 3 of 21
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@DoppelgangerD wrote:

Is that ok?

I wouldn't take out a car loan if you don't need one. I'd rather have the clean title.

If you want to pick up points in the installment loan realm, it would be better to take out an innocuous, low-cost, share secured loan with PenFed or NFCU, and pay it down to 9% of the original loan amount.

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 710

Message 4 of 21
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

@JoeRockhead wrote:

If your current auto loan is your only open loan, you could lose up to 20 - 30 points (on average) on your Fico 8 (and some other models) scores for "no open installment loan" once it's paid off.

However, you don't have to have an open loan to achieve 800++ scores. Many people around here use the saying "finances over Fico".

Over time, your scores will recover the losses without an open loan on your reports. Once scores go above 760, you're in a tier to get all the best rates and offers where credit cards and most other consumer credit products are concerned. For certain mortgage products the magic number is 780 but that's another discussion.

You could do the SSL loan trick to boost your scores, (some auto loans will also function the same way) which is completely fine, but then you can find yourself playing that game over, and over again.

This is just just my opinion but, why essentially pay for those scores with a loan you don't need when they'll get back up there again all on their own. You could likely put that money to better use elsewhere, like in a HYSA. 

I have a very aged and thick profile.  A few days ago, my newest revolving account turned 1 year old and my FICO scorecard was presumably reassigned to a "no new revolver" segment.  My EX8 score went up to 850.  No open loans at all, though I have two closed mortgages which haven't dropped off my reports yet.

May 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, New Revolver [being reassigned as new account starts reporting across bureaus]
FICO8:
FICO9:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 10 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 0 mos | New Accounts: 1/6, 1/12, 3/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 5 of 21
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

@NoHardLimits  congratulations!

Message 6 of 21
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

I just did the ssl trick, so I'll give my dp. I started in upper 700s with no installment loan on my crs. I took out an ssl with penfed and in about two months saw 30 - 40 point boost across all three cras.

I chose penfed because they were simpler to join than nfcu. It turns out they are less expensive as well. I've read that nfcu sometimes requires more than $3000 for a 60 month loan.  Penfed is $25 x term in months, $1500 for 60 months. I think they will go up to 120 months. They charge 2.05%. The deal is, you deposit the loan amount, then borrow it back, then prepay it to 9% remaning. The unique feature with penfed and nfcu is they apply the prepay to payments due and don't shorten the term.  I now owe them ~$150, with no payment due till 2028.  The interest adds up to less than $10.  No hard pull, either. Meanwhile, I have an open loan paid to 9% for five years.

Since you'll have a closed loan anyway you might get a lesser boost.

If you're interested, post your intent and I'll try to respond with a step by step.

Message 7 of 21
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

I didn't mention, I'm only out of pocket the $150 after all the prepay and money movement and I get that back when the loans repayed, minus ~$10.

Message 8 of 21
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

@FicoMike0 wrote:

@NoHardLimits  congratulations!

Thanks @FicoMike0 !  It will probably be a short-lived 850 as I am planning to apply for a new card in May.  If approved, that will cause me to be reassigned back to a "new revolver" scorecard segment and almost certainly drop my score below 850.

May 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, New Revolver [being reassigned as new account starts reporting across bureaus]
FICO8:
FICO9:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 10 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 0 mos | New Accounts: 1/6, 1/12, 3/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 9 of 21
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@NoHardLimits wrote:

@JoeRockhead wrote:

However, you don't have to have an open loan to achieve 800++ scores. Many people around here use the saying "finances over Fico"

I have a very aged and thick profile.  A few days ago, my newest revolving account turned 1 year old and my FICO scorecard was presumably reassigned to a "no new revolver" segment.  My EX8 score went up to 850.  No open loans at all, though I have two closed mortgages which haven't dropped off my reports yet.

Now you know some dirty little secrets 1st hand. Closed loans count toward credit mix, an open loan is not needed for 850 F8, F9 and new credit can hold your score down.

However, the open loan mostly paid down can be a useful score booster - particularly if Fico is 760 or less. As mentioned elsewhere, 780 or even 800 is the new top tier benchmark with some lenders using F8/F9.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.