Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanna Lose TU Inquiries?

tag
Kevin5974
Frequent Contributor

Wanna Lose TU Inquiries?

I just discovered that when I put an initial fraud alert on my credit that inquiries are removed after 60 days...I've had it on for about 4 months and kept trying to figure out what was going on and then I called and thats what they told me. The only downside (if you call it that) is that your not subject to any pre-screen offers so I'll be missing those credit card offers with 0% BT for 1 year and stuff but I hope to find them online when I need them. Just wanted to share my joy folks :-)

Starting Score: 475
Current Score: 649
Goal Score: 690

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Wanna Lose TU Inquiries?

I wonder if you can toggle the fraud alert on and off at will. Turn it on, wipe them out, turn it off to return to normal like a squeegee on your credit report. I wonder if the creditors would be extra worried and be more likely to deny charges that are more suspicious with a fraud alert on file. On the other hand, less junk mail.
Message 2 of 18
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Kevin5974 wrote:
I just discovered that when I put an initial fraud alert on my credit that inquiries are removed after 60 days...I've had it on for about 4 months and kept trying to figure out what was going on and then I called and thats what they told me. The only downside (if you call it that) is that your not subject to any pre-screen offers so I'll be missing those credit card offers with 0% BT for 1 year and stuff but I hope to find them online when I need them. Just wanted to share my joy folks :-)

Kevin - Not only is this unethical (unless you suspect ID theft), but dangerous.

ALL - THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED.

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is not something that you should be doing because in the long run it will hurt people like myself that had to put that on there because someone had mine and my husbands info and had an address for us in Canada and we have never even been there plus they had 5 different Addresses for us in Californa and we have never been there as well. We had a ton of inquireies and had not applied for credit. But if people start using that to get ride of the inquires then it will be harder for honest people to use it the way we should.
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

ilovepizza wrote: I wonder if the creditors would be extra worried and be more likely to deny charges that are more suspicious with a fraud alert on file.
Even if ethical, I'm already having problems with CLI's and approvals. I think that would slam my ability to get further credit and possibly trigger a reduction in credit lines which has already happened. But it's not bad to learn in case one actually has identity theft. I didn't know anything about fraud alerts before. Identity theft scares me. Someone was tearing open mostly all my mail from banks and credit bureaus. 3 out of 4 debit cards missing in a months time, pin numbers all opened and exposed, missing bank and credit card statements. All my information is in someones hands and I don't know who. One of my credit cards had fraud charges on it. Canceled it, bank said no problem. I didn't put an alert out. Too worried my creditors would reduce my credit limits when this happened. I still like discussing things to learn. One day I might need it.

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 05-23-2007 08:55 AM
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm glad you got inquiries removed. Just be careful, if it's not a real fraud it could come back to haunt you.
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

While we are on a score site... What effect did the fraud alert do to your score?
Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fraud alert won't affect your score pizza. But it will create a problem if you are looking to apply for any type of credit while the alert is in effect.
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

My husband and I both have one on our reports and we just got approved to buy a home and we close July 17,2007. It did not hurt us at all being on there and we even got a new 2007 Ford Ranger on March 31, 2007 while it was on there.
Message 9 of 18
Kevin5974
Frequent Contributor

Folks, I do want to explain that I did have my identity stolen and THAT was why the fraud alert was placed. I just thought some of you would fine it interesting. I have seen no score decrease or increase and have yet to have situations regard my Credit Lines and/or approvals

Starting Score: 475
Current Score: 649
Goal Score: 690

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.