cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd situation: ID theft = good credit score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Odd situation: ID theft = good credit score?

My husband and are are working on improving our respective scores so we can get a home loan. We received his report and it turns out someone opened a line of credit in his name for $5000 almost 5 years ago. Thing is that they paid it off and have never used his info for any other purpose. Since this has reflected good on his credit and there are no other items on his credit that cannot be attributed to him should we just leave well enough alone? It just seems really odd to me because how often do you get a reliable identity thief that pays back the money they steal?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Odd situation: ID theft = good credit score?

No. You should dispute it. I doubt it's ID theft.. Probably a keying error by the either the CRA or the party reporting.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tuscani wrote:
No. You should dispute it. I doubt it's ID theft.. Probably a keying error by the either the CRA or the party reporting.

Will it effect the score badly to have it removed?
Message 3 of 4
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Tuscani wrote:

Will it effect the score badly to have it removed?

It's possible.. but the total impact will depend on your overall credit picture. Regardless, I would dispute them off.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.