Did you mean: 

Credit Card Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Card Question

2. questions for the group?
1st question
I have one CC an hsbc with a 500 limit for 6 months no late pays or "over limits" on this card. I am wanting a CL increase to imporve my credit score but they want to check my credit, im not sure if ill get approved with scores of 554 587 587.  so not sure if I want a Hard inquirey on my report if it wont get approved.
2nd question
I was wanting to get a prepaid visa and put down 5k to show a large limit would this kind of card help my score, and is it possible to get approved for this card with my scores?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Boswd
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Card Question

Is it a Pre paid Visa or a Secured Visa credit card.    Pre paid is just a fancy word for debit card and will do nothing for your credit.  ( These are only good for people who can't get a checking account)

If it is a secured credit card than the answer is yes it will help your credit as long as you use it wiselySmiley Wink
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

well i think its a prepaid vise,,,is there a card out there that is secured that reports to all 3 cra's that I can put down 5k to show that i have a high balance on that card?
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

sorry not high balance but high CL
Message 4 of 12
Boswd
Valued Contributor

I would try here first for the Bank Of America secured credit card  http://www.bankofamerica.com/creditcards/index.cfm?context_id=marketing_detail&offer_id=ECOMM090XFEQ...

I think you will be hard pressed to find any better offer.  No applications fees or monthly fees just a low annual fee of $29  

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

If i apply for this card and get accepted will this drop my score?
Message 6 of 12
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

motoracer wrote:

Intially, most likely. But it really depends on your overall credit picture.
Message 7 of 12
Boswd
Valued Contributor

motoracer wrote:

I can only say from my own very recent experience and that my score went up with the new positive trade line.
Message 8 of 12
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Boswd wrote:

motoracer wrote:

I can only say from my own very recent experience and that my score went up with the new positive trade line.

I suspect this is because the new CL lowered your util which offset the negative side of a new TL and Inq.
Message 9 of 12
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Boswd wrote:

motoracer wrote:

So did mine, but then I have very few open cards (one store, one gas only, one gas MC, one airlines Visa and one CU visa total.

And only a large and a small mortgage.  No auto or other installment
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.