cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have luck with a PFD to Capital One?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone have luck with a PFD to Capital One?

Hello all.  Today, I am sending out several PFD letters (5 for medical bills and one for a Capital One credit card.)  I was wondering if anyone has had any success with a PFD and Capital One?  I owe $698 and wonder if I should offer to pay 45% or the whole balance.  The last payment was over a year ago. It seems like people have more luck with PFD's and medical bills so I'm crossing my fingers and hoping this will work!
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Anyone have luck with a PFD to Capital One?

i sent a pfd letter 3 times to cap 1 with no success. then i even called them again with no success I had a CO that was 3 years old they woundnt remove, so i went ahead and paid the entire amount (shouldnt have because it didnt help my score) but they did show "paid in full".
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I sent them a GW letter this week.  I too paid the CO off.  Headsup, they reapplied the CO date when they updated the payoff of the CO.  That cause the system to treat it like a new 30 day late.  I disputed the reapplied CO, and they fixed it.  Immediately a big jump in score resulted.

In my case even though CAP had charged it off, they still showed both an amount owed and past due.  This was affecting my score big time because it gave very bade %utilization. 
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm gonna have to pay this off no matter what.  I was just hoping I could get SOME benefit out of it.  Oh well, at least once I pay it off I won't have to worry about it anymore!
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you explain the reapplied chargeoff thing?  I have two accounts that I disputed and they updated as if I just had a new 90+ days late payment last month, and it dropped my scores way down.  What is the dispute reason that I should use?  You said that you had them removed.  Can you provide verbiage to use in my dispute?

thanks!
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rocket when you paid off the CO from cap 1 did it show "paid in full"? if so how much did that raise your score?  I just paid mine off and have in writing that it will show "paid in full" just hasnt uupdated just wondering if I can expect a raise in my scores?
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

My account notes on the reports vary some from CRA to CRA, but I legally settled for less than full amount.  The changes to my scores happend in steps as I paid them off.  It took them a couple of months to get them all annotated correctly because I had to deal with two separate firms (one of them a lawyer's office), and the datafiles weren't correct the first time.  But, when they updated the amounts to $0 balance, they reapplied the CO note that made the fico react as though I just missed a payment.  It wasn't until I disputed this and they removed it before I made the full recovery - about 40 points.  It's hard to say how much that particular payoff affected since it occurred over a couple of months and there was aging of the baddies happening as well.

In my case the score jump was entirely based on improvements to my credit utilization percentage.  I've no evidence whether having settled for less than full amount has any affect on my score.  Now, they are between 659 and 673, so I don't mind so much.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I paid off 843 outstanding CO with Cap 1 which was closed in 2005, didnt make payments I just paid the entire amount,,,it will show "paid in full" just not sure as to what affect this will have on my score if any. 
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If 843 becoming $0 makes a significant impact to your utillization %, then you'll see a good jump (unless something funky happens).

I owed about $2k to Cap One, and had only two CCs (both HSBC) open with CLs totaling $600 available credit.  As far as utilization was concerned, I had $2000 owed with available credit of $600.  FICO was seeing this as being over limit - maxed out.  So when I paid Cap One off, I went from 100% utilization to 1%.  That's why I got the big score jump.  I barely use the two open cards to keep my utilization % very low.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.