Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visa, Mastercard Reach $30 Billion Swipe-Fee Deal With Merchants

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Visa, Mastercard Reach $30 Billion Swipe-Fee Deal With Merchants

I processed over $10 million in credit card sales that is part of the lawsuit. I signed up to be part of the suit around the time it was coming together. Wondering what if anything I will see in the end. Guess I should do some reading to see what's going on with it.

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 690 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800 / Apple Card - $2700 / Walmart Mastercard - $2500

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 11 of 16
Barkius

That's funny about overloading the arbitrators. That's a good plaintiffs' law firm.

Anyway I doubt anyone will see any major difference for the majority of their transactions. I don't think you're going to be sitting in a bar and have the bartender say "yeah that Visa Infinite card is going to cost you an extra $0.15 for your gin and tonic."

Message 12 of 16
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

@Barkius wrote:

Anyway I doubt anyone will see any major difference for the majority of their transactions. I don't think you're going to be sitting in a bar and have the bartender say "yeah that Visa Infinite card is going to cost you an extra $0.15 for your gin and tonic."

Yes, because that bartender will see his/her tip immediately reduced by at least $0.15.  

Seriously tough, it will be very difficult for merchants to try to explain to their customers how different credit cards will result in different prices at their establishment.  Some customers will understand a "cash discount" and possibly also understand that "Amex cards cost more".  But, why is my bill higher when my buddy and I bought the same thing and each paid with a Visa credit card?  Plus, the average customer probably doesn't carry a wallet full of different cards for it to be easy to switch to a lower cost alternative at a merchant's whim.

I also think banks will adapt by simply raising fees somewhere else.  The same thing happened when the Durbin amendment capped debit swipe fees.  Debit card rewards went away along with free checking accounts.  No one ever cites examples about where a merchant lowered their prices due to the lowered debit swipe fees.

May 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, NO New Revolver [will be reassigned when new account starts reporting]
FICO8:
FICO9:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 0 mos | New Accounts: 1/6, 1/12, 3/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 13 of 16
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@Barkius wrote:

That's funny about overloading the arbitrators. That's a good plaintiffs' law firm.

You're correct, the bartender won't say a word. It'll be up to you to notice the line item on your receipt that says "Non-Cash Adjust 0.40" instead of "0.25".

Message 14 of 16
Barkius

Ah but in California as of July 1st 2024 surcharges cannot be added to the bill without stating beforehand the surcharge.

Message 15 of 16
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@Barkius wrote:

Ah but in California as of July 1st 2024 surcharges cannot be added to the bill without stating beforehand the surcharge.

I'm not in Cali, but it's typically posted here. But it's usually something like a tiny card over by the cash register that you'll miss the first 100 times you go through checkout because there's a zillion other things to pay attention to. So it's less about informing customers and more about giving retailers something to point to when someone complains.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.