Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexpected Product Change

tag
Ceewin
Regular Contributor

Unexpected Product Change

I'm sure someone knew this was going to happen, but I didn't. Smiley Frustrated

I cancelled my Amazon Prime Membership 3/24 and received an email today and now the "new product" is showing on my Chase home page.

Yahoo Email.JPG***ORIGINAL CARD******ORIGINAL CARD******NEW CARD******NEW CARD***

I don't/didn't put much spend on the card, so I'm only a little salty, and there is still no AF. But, to be honest, isn't paying $139 + tax per year to get these benefits very similar to charging an AF? Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL

Prime Rewards.JPG

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Unexpected Product Change

@Ceewin wrote:

I cancelled my Amazon Prime Membership 3/24 and received an email today and now the "new product" is showing on my Chase home page.

***ORIGINAL CARD******ORIGINAL CARD******NEW CARD******NEW CARD***

I don't/didn't put much spend on the card, so I'm only a little salty, and there is still no AF. But, to be honest, isn't paying $139 + tax per year to get these benefits very similar to charging an AF? Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL

Um no!   Amazon Prime is a product that you can pay for without having the credit card, and lots of people do.  So very different from an AF which goes to the issuer and may buy extra benefits for the card.

But also yes!   In the sense that if you don't find prime worth the cost on its own, but use Amazon/WholeFoods enougn, you could do a calculation (similar to say BCP/BCE) of how much you need to spend on Amazon to make getting the 5% worth $139 over the 3% (answer about $7K a year if you value Prime at $0)

Message 2 of 12
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

@Ceewin wrote:

Keep us posted about your experiences using Amazon without Prime membership.

I heard that without Prime, the shipping gets very slow (taking several days or a week) while via Prime, it would be only 1-2 days or even overnight. In one case, I ordered a dashcam for my car before going to bed at midnight and it got delivered before I wake up at 6am in the morning. Also, a return might be a hassle without Prime.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 3 of 12
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

Thank you for sharing your experience. I've considered dropping Prime, but the benefits to me outweigh the costs.

Message 4 of 12
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Ceewin wrote:

***ORIGINAL CARD******ORIGINAL CARD******NEW CARD******NEW CARD***

Um no!   Amazon Prime is a product that you can pay for without having the credit card, and lots of people do.  So very different from an AF which goes to the issuer and may buy extra benefits for the card.

But also yes!   In the sense that if you don't find prime worth the cost on its own, but use Amazon/WholeFoods enougn, you could do a calculation (similar to say BCP/BCE) of how much you need to spend on Amazon to make getting the 5% worth $139 over the 3% (answer about $7K a year if you value Prime at $0)

It is cool but rare to see the non Prime Amazon Visa card.  

The annual $139 membership fee is not attached to Chase.   This membership fee  covers  'Free Shipping,' access to Prime Video

And etc. 

Message 5 of 12
cjesser15
Contributor

@xenon3030 wrote:

@Ceewin wrote:

I heard that without Prime, the shipping gets very slow (taking several days or a week) while via Prime, it would be only 1-2 days or even overnight. In one case, I ordered a dashcam for my car before going to bed at midnight and it got delivered before I wake up at 6am in the morning. Also, a return might be a hassle without Prime.

I'm sure there has to be a lot of variables (location for one) but I regularly go back and forth between having and not having Prime.  I pretty much only get it for a month at a time when there's a TV show I want to watch.  I honestly cannot tell a difference.  I'm not exactly keeping a log of shipping times but everything still seems to come stupid fast.  No noticeable difference during months with or without.   And I don't see any difference with returns.  In my mind, Prime is a TV streaming service and the rest of the "perks" are just marketing.   But, as with credit cards, YMMV.  

Message 6 of 12
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

Prime membership really hurts.  $139 + tax (why the heck is a service taxed???).  I rode the ".edu" email address trick for half off prime for 5 years but that ended (a man in his 40s, still going to college?, lol).  But the family has become accustomed to prime and I can't end it now.  The 5% off and often 6% (with slightly slower shipping) helps, the streaming, and the other benefits help.  I am seriously considering the $49 Navy Flagship card since many report that the $139 amazon credit goes beyond year one.  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 7 of 12
Ceewin
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker 

I totally get it.  I live in a rural area so Amazon Grocery/Whole Food is not "deliverable"....but...I do have BCE (downgraded from BCP) and I'm loving the 3% cb for online retail shopping.

@xenon3030 @CorpCrMgr1 @NoMoreE46 @cjesser15 

I'll try and remember to update my shopping experience(s) without Prime.  There are TWO huge warehouses within 20 miles of my home and my DS seems to get his orders fairly quickly without Prime so I probably won't notice much of a difference 

I don't like the look of the new card and that's what I'll probably receive once my current one expires.  At least my CL remains the same and it's still a VS Smiley Tongue

@ptatohed 

$139 + tax is painful especially since I don't watch TV much and I rarely needed my items right away, so the 2-day shiping (sometimes same-day) was nice...but...meh *shrug shoulders*. I found out my oldest order on Amazon was in 2003 and a Prime member since 2005.Smiley Surprised

"I am seriously considering the $49 Navy Flagship card since many report that the $139 amazon credit goes beyond year one."  

...This^^...I'll reach the 1yr mark on my $30k SL NFCUcashrewards card in June.  I was considering PC'ing to the Flagship just for that benefit, but over the next 2.5 months, I might realize I don't really miss/need Prime. Smiley Happy

Thanks all!!

Message 8 of 12
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

I've had the non-Prime Chase Amazon card for about 15 years, and, yeah, the switch between the Prime and non-Prime versions is automatic whenever you add or cancel the service.  I've had one-month free Prime memberships now and then, but, personally, I've never found it to be worth anything more than free.  Prime or non-Prime, most packages from Amazon take the same amount of time to get to my house and arrive damaged.   Their steaming library is also pretty small.  If you don't order enough from Amazon to justify the cost of Prime, I would definitely take this opportunity to see whether you really need it.  They may or may not send you a new physical card with the non-Prime design, but it should have the same card number, CVV, etc as your current card design and you should be able to keep using that one if you like it more.  (But once it expires, yeah, you'll probably be stuck with the non-Prime design if you don't re-activate it.)

Message 9 of 12
iced
Valued Contributor

@xenon3030 wrote:

@Ceewin wrote:

I have never been Prime and had consistent shipping from Amazon. Its not 2-day unless you pay for it, but if anything longer than 2 days is "very slow" (hint: it's not) you can always pay the extra on those rare occasions when you need something in 1-2 days. I rarely do returns, but they haven't been a problem either.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.