Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync Lowe’s now charging for paper statements

tag
Snook_on_the_Line
Regular Contributor

Sync Lowe’s now charging for paper statements

Just got an email from synchrony that starting next month I can start receiving paperless statements, or I will be charged $1.99/month.  

I feel like I'm being extorted. 

the fine print on the bottom of the email states that i will be charged 1.99 for a paper statement in any billing cycle that there is a balance of $2.50 or more

im gonna download and read over the new cardholder agreement and see if thee is any way to waive the fee

anyone else know anything about this

Starting Score:FICO8s 505ex, 508 eq&tu
Current Score:FICO8s 758ex,752tu,766eq
Goal Score: 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Current cards:
Cap1 platinum 200
Cap1 Walmart 1500
Credit one Amex 550
Mission lane visa 400
Lowe’s 30,000
Rebuilding since 12/2021

Always pif, never late
0/24 on inq’s & new accounts
AAoA 2.2years
All time highs (fico8) :

Formerly known as @44456009a
My FIs. WF & AMEX
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

Re: Sync Lowe’s now charging for paper statements

Thanks for the head's up.  That's terrible.  They can reward paperless but shouldn't penalize paper.  I wonder if there is a way to opt out of the fee?  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 2 of 21
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

It makes sense to me, sending a paper bill costs a lot of money so if they can, they will charge.   Obviously a problem if you don't have computer access, but that's probably not the case for people posting!

According to Companies can legally charge for paper statements in most states | wcnc.com

this is legal everywhere except PA and NY

(Setting up a great trivia question: "What do PA and NY have in common?")

Message 3 of 21
keekers
Established Contributor

This already happens with other institutions. In this day and age it doesn't make sense to me to have paper statements. If someone wants paper statements they can download them and print them out if they'd like.

Message 4 of 21
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker  Two baseball teams?

Message 5 of 21
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@keekers wrote:
This already happens with other institutions. In this day and age it doesn't make sense to me to have paper statements. If someone wants paper statements they can download them and print them out if they'd like.

Some of the older people in my family don't have printers, so a change such as this would definitely be an inconvenience for them.

(Before someone mentions how cheap inkjet printers are... yes, I agree.  However for someone who only prints a few pages each month the ink is prohibitively expensive since the cartridges dry out quickly - been there, done that. Smiley Indifferent)

For me it's not a big deal; it's just another example of a nuissance fee for something that has until recently been accepted as 'normal'.

I personally appreciate having the option to get a paper bill (without a fee).  Hopefully the rest of the Synchrony portfolio won't go down this same path.

Message 6 of 21
Alcuria

That's interesting! I let a friend know that lives in NY, as he was recently lamenting the monthly statement fee of $4/month his bank charges.

Message 7 of 21
AwsiDooger
New Contributor

I hold grudges and have a long memory. I will stop shopping at Lowe's and anywhere that enforces this policy

Message 8 of 21
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

Hopefully the rest of the Synchrony portfolio won't go down this same path.

That ship already sailed.  Synchony previously announced they're doing the same for the Paypal card starting next month.

(5/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 9 of 21
keekers
Established Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@keekers wrote:

Some of the older people in my family don't have printers, so a change such as this would definitely be an inconvenience for them.

(Before someone mentions how cheap inkjet printers are... yes, I agree.  However for someone who only prints a few pages each month the ink is prohibitively expensive since the cartridges dry out quickly - been there, done that. Smiley Indifferent)

For me it's not a big deal; it's just another example of a nuissance fee for something that has until recently been accepted as 'normal'.

I personally appreciate having the option to get a paper bill (without a fee).  Hopefully the rest of the Synchrony portfolio won't go down this same path.

Fair point; they could download and save a personal copy of the statements in that case.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.