Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU More Rewards American Express Card Grocery Benefit

tag
MileHigh96
Frequent Contributor

NFCU More Rewards American Express Card Grocery Benefit

I tried looking through the card details, but I couldn't find out really either way.  I know a lot of grocery cards don't count places like Walmart or Sam's Club when it comes to the grocery rewards cash back.  Now that my CapOne Walmart card intro has expired and my 5% back at Walmart is gone (down to 2% now), I would like to find a better rewards card for grocery shopping at Walmart.  Does this NFCU card count Walmart as grocery and get the 3% back or would it only qualify for the standard 1% the card offers on most categories.

TIA!

BK7 discharged - 06JUL2021
Loans:

Revolving Accounts (in the order they were opened):

Closed accounts:
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: NFCU More Rewards American Express Card Grocery Benefit

Walmart is not specifically excluded, but it will depend on how the merchant registration was set up for the specific location you use.  Most are set up as discount stores, some as grocery stores.  You would need to test an American Express card at your location and see what the MCC ends up as.   I would imagine virtually all Sam's Club locations are correctly coded as warehouse.

Message 2 of 12
LadyCupcakes
Established Member

While I don't have this particular card, other issuers (Citi, BOA, Ally, Cap1, Discover, etc.) have typically categorized it as "grocery" when I do an online grocery order.  If I shop in-store, then it doesn't.  Hope that helps.

BK Ch7 Filed 3/24/2023 ; Est Discharge Date: 6/23/2023
FICO Scores as of 4/19/2023: EX-559, TU-459, EQ-487

FICO Scores as of 6/17/2023: EX-573, TU-551, EQ-615
Car loan with a 5.9% APR reaffirmed
Burned Cap1, Citi, Amex, Synch, Commenity, BOA, Mercury, Discover, Upstart.
Message 3 of 12
DoppelgangerD
Contributor

I just read today on Reddit, someone posted that the Verizon credit card gives 4% cashback as grocery at WM.

However that could mean online, or just at specific location(s).

Of course the Walmart credit card itself still gives 5% CB for online purchases, including curbside and in-store pickup.

BTW, I doubt that any Amex card will code as grocery at WM.

My BCP Amex specifically excludes WM and Target for grocery spend.

Again though, if a specific WM might code differently, it's possible if the specific card itself doesn't exclude WM on its terms.

Message 4 of 12
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@MileHigh96 wrote:

I tried looking through the card details, but I couldn't find out really either way.  I know a lot of grocery cards don't count places like Walmart or Sam's Club when it comes to the grocery rewards cash back.  Now that my CapOne Walmart card intro has expired and my 5% back at Walmart is gone (down to 2% now), I would like to find a better rewards card for grocery shopping at Walmart.  Does this NFCU card count Walmart as grocery and get the 3% back or would it only qualify for the standard 1% the card offers on most categories.

TIA!

Use your Cap1 WM card for pickup at 5% CB?

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 5 of 12
jacobx21

I got 3x at Target but haven't used it at Walmart yet.

Message 6 of 12
Rockysocks
Frequent Contributor

@MileHigh96 wrote:

I tried looking through the card details, but I couldn't find out really either way.  I know a lot of grocery cards don't count places like Walmart or Sam's Club when it comes to the grocery rewards cash back. Now that my CapOne Walmart card intro has expired and my 5% back at Walmart is gone (down to 2% now), I would like to find a better rewards card for grocery shopping at Walmart.  Does this NFCU card count Walmart as grocery and get the 3% back or would it only qualify for the standard 1% the card offers on most categories.

TIA!

@MileHigh96 I'm aware I'm fashionably late to reply (by a few months), but the AAA Daily Advantage is up your alley. I've used it over 40 times at 1 neighborhood market and 4 supercenters in-store (I think 100% at self checkout), and I've received 5% back every time without fail *knock on wood*. It's awesome getting 5% back on things that many more traditional "grocery stores" don't carry.

Message 7 of 12
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

AAA is the winner!

Message 8 of 12
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@Rockysocks wrote:

@MileHigh96 wrote:

I tried looking through the card details, but I couldn't find out really either way.  I know a lot of grocery cards don't count places like Walmart or Sam's Club when it comes to the grocery rewards cash back. Now that my CapOne Walmart card intro has expired and my 5% back at Walmart is gone (down to 2% now), I would like to find a better rewards card for grocery shopping at Walmart.  Does this NFCU card count Walmart as grocery and get the 3% back or would it only qualify for the standard 1% the card offers on most categories.

TIA!

@MileHigh96 I'm aware I'm fashionably late to reply (by a few months), but the AAA Daily Advantage is up your alley. I've used it over 40 times at 1 neighborhood market and 4 supercenters in-store (I think 100% at self checkout), and I've received 5% back every time without fail *knock on wood*. It's awesome getting 5% back on things that many more traditional "grocery stores" don't carry.

I know its not the same card, but just for sh**s & giggles I decided to try using my AAA Travel Advantage on Walmart+ the other day. Was only 1% CB. I did it for Science Smiley LOL

Potential Future Cards
Message 9 of 12
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@DoppelgangerD wrote:

I just read today on Reddit, someone posted that the Verizon credit card gives 4% cashback as grocery at WM.

However that could mean online, or just at specific location(s).

Of course the Walmart credit card itself still gives 5% CB for online purchases, including curbside and in-store pickup.

BTW, I doubt that any Amex card will code as grocery at WM.

My BCP Amex specifically excludes WM and Target for grocery spend.

Again though, if a specific WM might code differently, it's possible if the specific card itself doesn't exclude WM on its terms.

Took one for the Team and bought $40 of groceries from WM+ on the Verizon Visa, just got the Verizon Statement today : 1% All other purchases CB Smiley Sad Oh well, it was worth a shot Smiley Happy

Potential Future Cards
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.