Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm just loving this SYW card. 10% CB gas, dining, grocery Q1 '23

tag
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

Re: I'm just loving this SYW card. 10% CB gas, dining, grocery Q1 '23

@abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy wrote:

do the points post after statement closes or does it post some days after required spend is completed? thanks!

My statement credits and points have been posting pretty quickly lately.  I made my 5th $60+ purchase on the 15th and the $50 statement credit showed up on the 19th, of course back-dated to April 5th.  My statement has not closed yet.  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 431 of 524
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy
New Contributor

@ptatohed wrote:

@abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy wrote:

do the points post after statement closes or does it post some days after required spend is completed? thanks!

My statement credits and points have been posting pretty quickly lately.  I made my 5th $60+ purchase on the 15th and the $50 statement credit showed up on the 19th, of course back-dated to April 5th.  My statement has not closed yet.  

Ty vm as usual Mr. potato head!

Message 432 of 524
Mixol0g1st

@Mixol0g1st wrote:

I got the $70 for $1000, activated and spent $1001 combined on Nicor (Chicago suburbs gas) and ComEd (Chicago suburbs electric). All on April 15.

Thank you @xenon3030 @TyrannicalDuncery2 ! Here's an update:

Last transaction (Nicor) has a posted date of April 16, showed up in transaction history on April 18 or 19. Statement closed April 19. Now it's April 21, no statement credit. Looks like most people's credits would have posted by now but not all.

I'm kicking myself for doing this right on the 15th, now I don't know whether it's the merchant or the timing. But hopefully I can find someone else's DP related to Nicor, ComEd, or same-day. Then I could put the pieces together.

FWIW, they both coded as utilities, purchase, and card not present, but that doesn't seem to have mattered for others. Neither one was via paypal: ComEd was their own internal thing and Nicor was using Speedpay. (You can also use apple/google or maybe something else for Nicor and paypal for ComEd, I didn't try. Maybe next time although I'm 3 months ahead now on gas, haha.).

Has anyone tried meeting the online spend offer by spending on the same day as the offer started? (Like the 15th of the month).

Message 433 of 524
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

It is hard to identify which transaction would get counted as online shopping for SYW, while it might be less likely that utility bills would get counted.

Anyway, I received an email from SYW today, mentioning the status of this SUB. So far, the online orders via Safeway and Instacart are included in the online shopping (including the instacart annual membership fee). The online Safeway purchases are coded as "safeway.com" but I do not see any ".com" for the Instacart purchases.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 434 of 524
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

I did get an offer in the mail for 5X bonus TYP on home impovement purchases for Feb/March/April.  "Spend $600 or more each month on total eligible home improvement purchases to earn 5x Bonus ThankYou Points each month for this offer (up to a maxinum monthly total of 6,000 Bonus ThankYou Points)".   Not a particularly stellar offer for me as I might be able to qualify 1 month but it shows that Citi at least for now is still extending promotional offers of 3 month duration.

I got a snail mail today with the same offer for May/June/July.  I'm still going to activate it but as of right now I have no plans to spend anywhere near $600 a month any time soon in home improvement stores.

(5/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 435 of 524
TyrannicalDuncery2
Contributor

Anybody tried blinds.com for the online?

Message 436 of 524
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@TyrannicalDuncery2 wrote:

Anybody tried blinds.com for the online?

I'd be surprised if it didn't qualify. They're an online-only business unit of Home Depot, and  Home Depot a) already codes with a different merchant name depending if the purchase was online (homedepot.com) or in-store (Home Depot - Store <store #>)  and  b) homedepot.com purchases count as online spend.

(5/2024)

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 437 of 524
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

I hope that this product would be kept alive in the market, after closure of Sears stores, and a good lender would acquire it with its current business model.

By stacking several offers, I could increase my groceries CB to 52% (I do groceries via Instacart). So, essentially I do not need Amex BCP.

Here was the latest stacking on groceries: Purchase Instacart GC via Costco/Amazon/Sams Club at ~20% discount, 2% Costco executive membersip (if purchasing via Costco), 25% CB from SYW card for online shopping, 5% discount for groceries pickup when purchasing them via Instacart -->  max CB=52%.

There is a cap on the GCs that can get purchased at Costco/Sams Club. So, it might be good to have both memberships.

PS: I guess, there should be no issue with buying branded GCs, since they possibly get treated as products. I guess, there should be several issues, if somebody purchases Vanilla GCs that are equivalent to cash. Some experienced people might jump in to describe better.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 438 of 524
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I have no problem with either buying (or later using) Amazon or Bass Pro/Cabelas GC when grocery shopping although the 2 grocery chains I frequent do have a cap of $100 in GC purchases per transaction, which for me isn't a problem.

A big issue with vanilla Visa/Mastarcard gift cards is their history of being associated with increased risk of theft and fraud and as a component of schemes involving manufactured spend so many merchants have become wary of them.

(5/2024)

$1M+ club

Message 439 of 524
TyrannicalDuncery3
Established Member

@xenon3030 wrote:

I hope that this product would be kept alive in the market, after closure of Sears stores, and a good lender would acquire it with its current business model.

By stacking several offers, I could increase my groceries CB to 52% (I do groceries via Instacart).

Nice!!! Thank you so much for pointing me to the Insta deals in the "top five cards" thread.

I think you've already thought of this but: If I'm not mistaken, in a good month you can do even better if you want to do an extra step (if you fund Insta GC purchase with VGC from WM Pay and stack 250k points and 100 statement credit, for example).

I've done this successfully, but didn't spend a full 1k on Insta GCs:

• buy Incomm Sutton Vanilla at WM self-check using WM Pay to trigger both offers* (thanks bockrocker);
  • buy Insta GC on Costco.com using the Vanillas**;
  • buy something on Insta with the GCs.***

I didn't get to 52 because I don't have executive and I didn't choose my Insta store wisely.

* This part works with this as well, according to some other posters. But the VGCs from there may be harder to use. In my case I got bin 411810. This may work with many other GCs, I've just seen people frustrated not being able to use certain VGCs on Costco.com.

** I was also able to buy Costco GC on Costco.com and then use those to by Insta GC in store. I didn't plan it that way and I don't think it's very efficient, but it may help you bypass the per-customer Instacart limit. However, I think that limit resets frequently (weekly or shorter) anyway.

***In Cali, I have a lot of places that don't mark up. However, in other parts of the country I think there are fewer options. I think Aldi generally allows pickup and marks up 10% so that's still a good deal. I don't use Insta much, but this time I got a pretty good promo deal on Costco (lol!).

I'm hoping that a few more orders like this will train Instacart to give me those big promos that I know some people get. Smiley Wink Does anyone else  have thoughts on how to get those? I also asked this in the "top 5 cards" thread.

Message 440 of 524
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.