Did you mean: 

I'm just loving this SYW card. 10% CB gas, dining, grocery Q1 '23

tag
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: I'm just loving this SYW card. 10% CB gas, dining, grocery Q1 '23

@xenon3030 wrote:

Sounds an interesting card. I was recently approved for this card. To be able to receive the typical large spend/large bonus offers, who much spends do you recommend that I place continuously on this card and for how long?

PS: Sears declared BK chapter 11 some years ago. Shall we expect any downfall on this card?

It's going to happen I'm sure at some point given that Sears is now down to about 20 stores and their website has largely become a portal for other vendors, but I'm going to enjoy the ride for as long as it lasts.  

I'm probably not the best person to comment on spend vs. length of time as a cardholder before offers started appearing as I'm likely an edge case.   I was one of the original cardholders automatically converted from a store card to Mastercard when Citibank first took over the portfolio just about 20 years ago.  The card was mostly sockdrawered until Citi started sending me promotional offers in I think the summer of 2017 and while I put moderate-to-heavy spend on the card pretty regularly it's also almost exclusively tied to a promotional offer.  I do enroll in all offers even if an offer is one (an organic $2K per month in gas/grocery/restaurant isn't gonna happen here) I won't try to leverage.

(5/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 31 of 524
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

After completion of bankruptcy and closing all stores, I guess the card would get either acquired by another retailer/lender, or Citi may PC it to another, due to its unique biz model of spending more/earning more. This biz model definitely has a large revenue for lender/retailer, due to its continuation even after BK11 filing. My card has a very high APR (29.5%!!!) and if I do not PIF, I will end up paying a very very high interest. This APR is the maximum that I could see among all my cards Smiley Surprised

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 32 of 524
northway
Frequent Contributor

Problem is they have nothing to convert this card to unless a brand new card product is created. The SYW card is serviced by Citi Retail Card Services which operates completely separate from Citibank's primary card line, and the two cannot be product change intertwined, such as changing from a Macy's Amex to a Costco Visa or from a Best Buy Visa to a Citi Custom Cash, and vice versa. I've never once seen a product conversion if there even could be one, once a co-branded partnership has ended with Citi Retail.

Personal Cards:
Message 33 of 524
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@xenon3030 wrote:

After completion of bankruptcy and closing all stores, I guess the card would get either acquired by another retailer/lender, or Citi may PC it to another, due to its unique biz model of spending more/earning more. This biz model definitely has a large revenue for lender/retailer, due to its continuation even after BK11 filing. My card has a very high APR (29.5%!!!) and if I do not PIF, I will end up paying a very very high interest. This APR is the maximum that I could see among all my cards Smiley Surprised

No one knows for sure @xenon3030

In the past, Citi has been known to discontinue CC products from both the legacy side and the retail side without PC'ing to anything else. It's doubtful, though, that any other lender would want to acquire an extinct brand's CC portfolio. While hopeful and speculative, temper long term expectations.

Message 34 of 524
TyrannicalDuncery
Regular Contributor

Are promotions like this common? Raise.com and Shop Your Way

I just saw this promotion, where SYW gives 10% on (some) Raise.com purchases: https://www.shopyourway.com/news/get-10-off-your-total-gift-card-purchase

Do they often offer cash back on gift card purchases? I was hoping maybe they do, since they seem connected to Raise.com in some way based on this: https://help.shopyourway.com/hc/en-us/articles/4423052712973-How-do-I-REDEEM-MY-POINTS-

Thoughts?

Message 35 of 524
TyrannicalDuncery
Regular Contributor

So this is my FOMO talking, but:

Do you think there is a chance that it stays around, but stops taking new applicants? Should I apply now for fear of missing out? 

Message 36 of 524
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

The card may stay open for a few years till closing the Sears brand. Afterward, they either close the card, PC to another Citi's card or transfer it to another lender. The card is quite active with SUB, large spend offers and no sign that it may get nerfed soon.

If you need the card, I suggest to apply for it (I did the same). In the worst scenario, it gets closed after closing all Sears stores while it may take a while to reach to that point...

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 37 of 524
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@TyrannicalDuncery wrote:

So this is my FOMO talking, but:

Do you think there is a chance that it stays around, but stops taking new applicants? Should I apply now for fear of missing out? 

As has been mentioned upthread, no one knows or can predict how long this particular product or the Sears MC will be around.

Only you can decide what's best for you and any planned strategy you may have, not so much about FOMO.

Message 38 of 524
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@xenon3030 wrote:

The card may stay open for a few years till closing the Sears brand. Afterward, they either close the card, PC to another Citi's card or transfer it to another lender. The card is quite active with SUB, large spend offers and no sign that it may get nerfed soon.

If you need the card, I suggest to apply for it (I did the same). In the worst scenario, it gets closed after closing all Sears stores while it may take a while to reach to that point...

https://nypost.com/2022/11/07/sears-out-of-bankruptcy-a-handful-of-stores-are-left/

Take it for what it is as far as the remaining stores. 

Message 39 of 524
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

Re: Are promotions like this common? Raise.com and Shop Your Way

@TyrannicalDuncery wrote:

I just saw this promotion, where SYW gives 10% on (some) Raise.com purchases: https://www.shopyourway.com/news/get-10-off-your-total-gift-card-purchase

Do they often offer cash back on gift card purchases? I was hoping maybe they do, since they seem connected to Raise.com in some way based on this: https://help.shopyourway.com/hc/en-us/articles/4423052712973-How-do-I-REDEEM-MY-POINTS-

Thoughts?

What you are showing is great.  An extra 10% off at raise.com, on top of the already discounted cards, just for paying with the SYW card.  And I assume, you'd get the usual 1% back with the card as well.  

I tried it out and while I have the 'Pay with Shop Your Way' button as seen in step 2 of your link, when I get to step 4 of the link, my checkout looks exactly the same as the step 4 screenshot except for no '10% Savings' shown.  Darn.

But what is super cool is the ability to use your SYW points at the raise.com website as opposed to the SWY website.  On the SYW website, while there is a deluge of gift card choices, they are not discounted.  If you use your SYW points at raise.com, you can use your points for discounted cards.  Super cool!  

I will try again later to see if I can get the 10% to work.  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 40 of 524
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.