Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm just loving this SYW card. 10% CB gas, dining, grocery Q1 '23

tag
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

Re: I'm just loving this SYW card. 10% CB gas, dining, grocery Q1 '23

The best Sears card is the Citi Sears ThankYou card.  But it has been discontinued and there is no path for product change.  It runs often 10x or 15x TY points for each $ purchase.  That is about 15% to 22% discount on some common categories.  That is about the best card ever. 

Message 21 of 524
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

@BronzeTrader wrote:

The best Sears card is the Citi Sears ThankYou card.  But it has been discontinued and there is no path for product change.  It runs often 10x or 15 TY points for each $ purchase.  That is about 15% to 22% discount on some common categories.  That is about the best card ever. 

@BronzeTrader --I tend to agree with you about the Sears M/C--except for when they do the yo-yo game with the minimum spend requirement. I.E. for Q3 of last year I had 10x for gas, groceries, and restaurants with $500 spend...okay doable. Q4 10x for the same 3 categories--but $600 min. spend...a little more difficult but still doable. Q1 of this year--same 3 but 15x pts for $1200 min. spend--back to the sock drawer it went--not even gonna touch that one! And what makes it tough is I'm single and the only card user. Otherwise it is a better card to have than the SYW card IMO.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 22 of 524
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@Credit-hoarder wrote:

@BronzeTrader wrote:

The best Sears card is the Citi Sears ThankYou card.  But it has been discontinued and there is no path for product change.  It runs often 10x or 15 TY points for each $ purchase.  That is about 15% to 22% discount on some common categories.  That is about the best card ever. 

@BronzeTrader --I tend to agree with you about the Sears M/C--except for when they do the yo-yo game with the minimum spend requirement. I.E. for Q3 of last year I had 10x for gas, groceries, and restaurants with $500 spend...okay doable. Q4 10x for the same 3 categories--but $600 min. spend...a little more difficult but still doable. Q1 of this year--same 3 but 15x pts for $1200 min. spend--back to the sock drawer it went--not even gonna touch that one! And what makes it tough is I'm single and the only card user. Otherwise it is a better card to have than the SYW card IMO.

Well, you need to have a big family and have a lot of mouths to eat.  Pets included too.  :-)

You can volunteer to buy groceries for neighbors.

Message 23 of 524
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@Credit-hoarder wrote:

@BronzeTrader wrote:

I can relate to this.  My SYW often did something like $1000 spend from month n 14th to month (n +1) 13th for $45 statement credit.  Ok, I'll bite, even if it means spending at some 1% cats (normally 3% CB with AOD) to reach the $1000.  But then, Dec 14th to Jan 13th was spend $2000 for $70 statement credit.  This is the first time I had to say no.  $2000 in 30 days is asking too much.  I could reach it if I put all my daily spend on it and some monthly spend (insurance, utilities, etc. (normally 3% CB with AOD)) but I just felt $2000 was asking too much.    

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 24 of 524
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@ptatohed wrote:

I can relate to this.  My SYW often did something like $1000 spend from month n 14th to month (n +1) 13th for $45 statement credit.  Ok, I'll bite, even if it means spending at some 1% cats (normally 3% CB with AOD) to reach the $1000.  But then, Dec 14th to Jan 13th was spend $2000 for $70 statement credit.  This is the first time I had to say no.  $2000 in 30 days is asking too much.  I could reach it if I put all my daily spend on it and some monthly spend (insurance, utilities, etc. (normally 3% CB with AOD)) but I just felt $2000 was asking too much.    

I have more than one of such card(s)....

Message 25 of 524
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@BronzeTrader wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

I have more than one of such card(s)....

And? 

Message 26 of 524
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@BronzeTrader wrote:

The best Sears card is the Citi Sears ThankYou card.  But it has been discontinued and there is no path for product change.  It runs often 10x or 15x TY points for each $ purchase.  That is about 15% to 22% discount on some common categories.  That is about the best card ever. 

The TYP offfers are for bonus TYP, actual earning is BONUS + 1X TYP/$ spend.  I've  had several 20X and a couple of 25X bonus TYP offers, have had as many as 4 simultaneous offers in play, and since offers are stackable I've had individual purchases count against up to 3 different offers at the same time.   Best outcome I've ever had for an individual purchase was 41 total TYP per $.

Insofar as the discount,  the valuation of each TYP is dependent upon how it's redeemed.  It's a little more difficult to extract maxinum value now with the demise of the 1.25X valuation through the Citi travel portal for Prestige and Premier cardholders.

(5/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 27 of 524
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

@BronzeTrader wrote:

The TYP offfers are for bonus TYP, actual earning is BONUS + 1X TYP/$ spend.  I've  had several 20X and a couple of 25X bonus TYP offers, have had as many as 4 simultaneous offers in play, and since offers are stackable I've had individual purchases count against up to 3 different offers at the same time.   Best outcome I've ever had for an individual purchase was 41 total TYP per $.

Insofar as the discount,  the valuation of each TYP is dependent upon how it's redeemed.  It's a little more difficult to extract maxinum value now with the demise of the 1.25X valuation through the Citi travel portal for Prestige and Premier cardholders.

Agreed.

All the transferable points are worth at least 1.5 cpps.  It is never optimal to cash out at 1 cpps or close to that.  This is why those cards are so valuable. 

Message 28 of 524
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@BronzeTrader wrote:

@coldfusion wrote:

@BronzeTrader wrote:

Agreed.

All the transferable points are worth at least 1.5 cpps.  It is never optimal to cash out at 1 cpps or close to that.  This is why those cards are so valuable. 

For me 1 penny per point for true cash back is perfectly fine and all I expect.  

I am, however, getting ready to apply for the citi Rewards+ card to turn my DC and CC cards into 1.11111 cents per point.  Smiley Happy

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 29 of 524
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Sounds an interesting card. I was recently approved for this card. To be able to receive the typical large spend/large bonus offers, who much spends do you recommend that I place continuously on this card and for how long?

PS: Sears declared BK chapter 11 some years ago. Shall we expect any downfall on this card?

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 30 of 524
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.