I'm just loving this SYW card. 10% CB gas, dining, grocery Q1 '23

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: I'm just loving this SYW card. 10% CB gas, dining, grocery Q1 '23

@ptatohed wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

Finally!  After a little dry spell there of no (useful, for me) offers from SYW, I got this.  I'll take a free, easy $150!  Smiley Happy

Up to $50 back ($500 spend) per month on Utilities from Aug through Oct.  

ptatohed,
activate this offer and you can earn
10%
back in statement credits
on total eligible utilities purchases of $450 or more made each month (up to a maximum total of $50 in statement credit(s) each month) using your Shop Your Way Mastercard from 8/1/2023 (or the date you activate this offer, whichever is later) through 10/31/2023.1

Do you actually spend $450 per month on utilities in the warm weather months? I don't come close to that.

My wife pays the bills, lol, but I 'think' between water, gas, electric, and trash, yes.  I may need to break up the spending over a few/several purveyors but I think we can reach that.  Even if I have to pre-pay for future months, I will.  

You really do love that card. You love it so much you're willing to jump through hoops for it, like paying money you don't even owe.

Ask your wife. I'll bet that in the warm months the total is less than $200 month.

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 710

Message 91 of 529
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

Finally!  After a little dry spell there of no (useful, for me) offers from SYW, I got this.  I'll take a free, easy $150!  Smiley Happy

ptatohed,
10%
on total eligible utilities purchases of $450 or more made each month (up to a maximum total of $50 in statement credit(s) each month) using your Shop Your Way Mastercard from 8/1/2023 (or the date you activate this offer, whichever is later) through 10/31/2023.1

Do you actually spend $450 per month on utilities in the warm weather months? I don't come close to that.

My wife pays the bills, lol, but I 'think' between water, gas, electric, and trash, yes.  I may need to break up the spending over a few/several purveyors but I think we can reach that.  Even if I have to pre-pay for future months, I will.  

You really do love that card. You love it so much you're willing to jump through hoops for it, like paying money you don't even owe.

Ask your wife. I'll bet that in the warm months the total is less than $200 month.

I'll ask her and find out what our utils cost but I think they can get up there, especially our electric bill in the summer (now).  It's triple digits outside.  We set the AC to 75 or 76 so it is running a lot.  2700 SF 2-story house in Murrieta CA. 

I don't look at an investment as paying money you don't owe.  If I bought a $1,000 CD at 5% apy so that I will get $50 in 1 year from now, did I pay $1,000 that I didn't owe?  If I pre-pay a utility a few months in advance in order to get 10% back (11%, if you count the 10% + regular 1% (but then you have to subtract the 3% I'm not getting by using the usual AOD, so 8% net)), I would look at that as an investment.  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 92 of 529
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@ptatohed wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

I'll ask her and find out what our utils cost but I think they can get up there, especially our electric bill in the summer (now).  It's triple digits outside.  We set the AC to 75 or 76 so it is running a lot.  2700 SF 2-story house in Murrieta CA. 

I don't look at an investment as paying money you don't owe.  If I bought a $1,000 CD at 5% apy so that I will get $50 in 1 year from now, did I pay $1,000 that I didn't owe?  If I pre-pay a utility a few months in advance in order to get 10% back (11%, if you count the 10% + regular 1% (but then you have to subtract the 3% I'm not getting by using the usual AOD, so 8% net)), I would look at that as an investment.  

That's about how I look at it.  

My electric bill is just about $200/month but my gas bill will vary from about $20/month in the summer to over $300 by January. Even factoring in the flat fee - National Grid allows prepayment and their payment processor charges a flat fee and not a percentage of the invoice for up to a $600 payment - for using a card I'll still have a net return of 6% back beyond what I'd get if I used my Cash+ or Max Cash card,  for a prepay of spend starting in less than 3 months.

(5/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 93 of 529
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

That's about how I look at it.  

My electric bill is just about $200/month but my gas bill will vary from about $20/month in the summer to over $300 by January. Even factoring in the flat fee - National Grid allows prepayment and their payment processor charges a flat fee and not a percentage of the invoice for up to a $600 payment - for using a card I'll still have a net return of 6% back beyond what I'd get if I used my Cash+ or Max Cash card,  for a prepay of spend starting in less than 3 months.

Smart cf.  I really need to start focusing on a 5% card(s) for utilities.  I'm leaving 2% on the table every month.  

No hope:
Message 94 of 529
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy
New Contributor

is there an ios app for this card? i can't seem to figure out which one it is if there is one... lolthx

Message 95 of 529
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@ptatohed wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

ptatohed,
10%

You're an inspiration @ptatohed 

Message 96 of 529
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy wrote:

is there an ios app for this card? i can't seem to figure out which one it is if there is one... lolthx

There's no dedicated app, you need to log onto the portal directly via Safari or your preferred browser.  The Citi Mobile app doesn't support cards issued through Citi Retail Services and the hooks in the Sears mobile app to redirect a browser have been nerfed. 

(5/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 97 of 529
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

ptatohed,
10%

Ok, I got the info.  Smiley Happy  Yes, just a little embarrassed that I don't know how much our utilities are ( :hide: ).  

mrs. ptatohed said, depending on the time of year, $140 - $350 for elec, $14 - $70 for gas, and $140 - $200 for water.

I looked into it and it looks like they all take CCs and Southern California Electric charges $1.65, SoCalGas gas $1.50, and a don't see any fee listed for the Elsinore Valley Muni Water Dist.  I think I am golden.  Smiley Happy  

No hope:
Message 98 of 529
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@ptatohed wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

ptatohed,
10%

Ok, I got the info.  Smiley Happy  Yes, just a little embarrassed that I don't know how much our utilities are ( :hide: ).  

mrs. ptatohed said, depending on the time of year, $140 - $350 for elec, $14 - $70 for gas, and $140 - $200 for water.

I looked into it and it looks like they all take CCs and Southern California Electric charges $1.65, SoCalGas gas $1.50, and a don't see any fee listed for the Elsinore Valley Muni Water Dist.  I think I am golden.  Smiley Happy  

Yes you are the golden prince of cash back Smiley Happy  Wow that's a lot of money for the electricity and the water. I guess the electricity is for your massively parallel mainframe computer network which operates around the clock calculating optimum cash back strategies for credit cards.  And the water? What, are you bathing in Perrier?

Message 99 of 529
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

ptatohed,
10%

Yes you are the golden prince of cash back Smiley Happy  Wow that's a lot of money for the electricity and the water. I guess the electricity is for your massively parallel mainframe computer network which operates around the clock calculating optimum cash back strategies for credit cards.  And the water? What, are you bathing in Perrier?

Haha.  Don't forget this is California.  And the water is actually water and sewer.  I have friends and co-workers with electric bills of $700-$800 in the summer.  So I consider myself lucky!  Smiley Happy  

No hope:
Message 100 of 529
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.