Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm just loving this SYW card. 10% CB gas, dining, grocery Q1 '23

tag
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

I'm just loving this SYW card. 10% CB gas, dining, grocery Q1 '23

This citi Shop Your Way card has completely disrupted the way I use my rotating category cards!  Ever since I got the card in August '22, there has been one monthly offer or another, usually something like $45 statement credit for $1,000 spend in 30 days (that's 4.5% CB right there, and this is on top of the 5%, 3%, or 1% you earn while spending the $1,000).  Sometimes the offers overlap and spending works toward both offers.  

Received an email with the below invitation.  10% CB in statement credits in gas, dining, and grocery for $700 - $800 spend per month for Q1 '23.  And this is on top of the regular 5% gas, 3% dining/grocery.  

Once again, little/no need for Disco (5% groc), Freedom (5% groc), or nusenda (5% groc + gas), and citi CC (was gonna use for 5% dining), unless I think I will exceed the $800 spend per month in these categories, or I can use them for another category.  

My only concern is if I can't reach $700 spend per month in these 3 categories.  That might be just above the high end of our regular spend.  I'll think of something.  Smiley Happy

ptatohed,
Activate this offer and you can earn
10%
back in statement credits
on total eligible gas station, grocery store and restaurant purchases of $700 or more made each month (up to a maximum total of $80 in statement credit(s) each month) using your Shop Your Way Mastercard from 1/1/2023 (or the date you activate this offer, whichever is later) through 3/31/2023.1
5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 1 of 529
528 REPLIES 528
Sspartan
Valued Member

Re: I'm just loving this SYW card. 10% CB gas, dining, grocery Q1 '23

This is one of my favorite cards. I have attached the promo from last quarter. I try to make sure I get the most out the promo. Screenshot_20221121-103451_Gmail.jpg

Message 2 of 529
PlaidRaptor
Valued Member

I took a look at the card based on your post, and one thing is slightly unclear to me. Are the only redemption options for points gift cards or toward purchases at specific merchants?

Message 3 of 529
Sspartan
Valued Member

Statement credits are credited to your balance and the points you earn can be redeemed for gift cards, I usually get Amazon or Walmart gift cards

Message 4 of 529
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I have a TYP-earning Sears MC; I got essentially the same offer last week for this quarter except it's for 10X bonus TYP/$ = 11 net TYP/$.  My TYP are all consolidated in a single TYP account with my Premier as primary, which lets me cash them out via an ACH transfer at $0.01 each.

Dollar for dollar spend this card has been my best net earner over the last 5 years.  As long as this gravy train keeps running I'll keep riding it.

(5/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 5 of 529
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@ptatohed wrote:

This citi Shop Your Way card has completely disrupted the way I use my rotating category cards!  Ever since I got the card in August '22, there has been one monthly offer or another, usually something like $45 statement credit for $1,000 spend in 30 days (that's 4.5% CB right there, and this is on top of the 5%, 3%, or 1% you earn while spending the $1,000.  Sometimes the offers overlap and spending works toward both offers.  

Received an email with the below invitation.  10% CB in statement credits in gas, dining, and grocery for $700 - $800 spend per month for Q1 '23.  And this is on top of the regular 5% gas, 3% dining/grocery.  

Once again, little/no need for Disco (5% groc), Freedom (5% groc), or nusenda (5% groc + gas), and citi CC (was gonna use for 5% dining), unless I think I will exceed the $800 spend per month in these categories, or I can use them for another category.  

My only concern is if I can't reach $700 spend per month in these 3 categories.  That might be just above the high end of our regular spend.  I'll think of something.  Smiley Happy

ptatohed,
Activate this offer and you can earn
10%
back in statement credits
on total eligible gas station, grocery store and restaurant purchases of $700 or more made each month (up to a maximum total of $80 in statement credit(s) each month) using your Shop Your Way Mastercard from 1/1/2023 (or the date you activate this offer, whichever is later) through 3/31/2023.1

Once again @ptatohed got me into trouble by inspiring me to apply for a credit card. This time it was the Citi Shop Your Way card. And I was approved, with a $3k SL. I'm going to have to start avoiding posts by @ptatohed  Smiley Happy

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 710

Message 6 of 529
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@SouthJamaica 

Once again @ptatohed got me into trouble by inspiring me to apply for a credit card. This time it was the Citi Shop Your Way card. And I was approved, with a $3k SL. I'm going to have to start avoiding posts by @ptatohed  Smiley Happy

LOL.jpg

@SouthJamaica wrote:
My goals are to pay down balances and refrain from adding new accounts

Message 7 of 529
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@Sspartan wrote:

Statement credits are credited to your balance and the points you earn can be redeemed for gift cards, I usually get Amazon or Walmart gift cards

^ Exactly this.  Statement credits are true CB obviously.  Points earned with the card (5%, 3%, 1% back in 'points') are used for merchants (I've never done) or a very generous list of gift cards.  It does make it not exactly a true 5%, 3%, or 1% CB because you aren't getting any additional CB while spending the gift card.  But the other offers more than make up for it.  One little example is you get $3 if you make 3 grocery purchases using the SYW app in a month.  There are others.  Like Ss, it's easiest for me to get Amazon cards and upload to my Amazon account.  Ideally, you'd pick a gift card from a merchant you would have frequented anyway and they don't fit one of your card's 5% category.  But, again, Amazon upload is the simplest for me, at the expense of not earning 5% while spending it.    

No hope:
Message 8 of 529
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Sorry SJ!  Smiley LOL

No hope:
Message 9 of 529
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@SouthJamaica 

LOL.jpg

@SouthJamaica wrote:
My goals are to pay down balances and refrain from adding new accounts

Smiley Happy  Well we don't always accomplish our goals Smiley Happy I refrained for 1 1/2 days. Doesn't that count for anything? Smiley Happy

Besides, it's not my fault, it's @ptatohed 's fault. Smiley Happy

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 710

Message 10 of 529
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.