Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do people get $10k plus CLs?

tag
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: How do people get $10k plus CLs?

I'm with @Remedios . It was a gradual process for me. First started with low $300 limit approvals, then as my profile improved, I would be approved for $2-$3k limits, then $5-$7k, then my largest SL came from a CU: Dover FCU ($16.99k) last summer. Then my Navy Amex got a $6k CLI from $9.5k to $15.5k. So I guess it was also CLIs over time that helped because this card started at $1k.

Bottom line: build relationships with lenders, pay on time, ask for CLIs/hope you get auto-CLIs, and increase income if possible. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 21 of 33
IcyCool7227
Regular Contributor

I know my threads a little old but I have another question related to this. Do new creditors as well as the computer algorithms when you apply, look at your existing limits and make a determination based on that as well for 10k SLs?

As of: 3/28/24:

EQ: 785 (prev. 778 on 2/6/24; 773 on 1/26/24 & 750 on 1/7/24 & 626 on 6/7/24 & 652 in April 2023) - FICO 8
EX: 763 (prev. 755 on 2/6/24; 753 on 1/26/24 & 732 on 1/7/24 & 643 on 6/7/24 & 619 in April 2023) - FICO 8
TU: 759 (prev. 748 on 2/6/24; 744 on 1/26/24 & 689 on 1/7/24 & 6/7/24 & 654 in April 2023) - CreditKarma

Have:
- Amazon Prime Store Card: $5,000
- Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards: $1,200
- Chase Freedom Flex: $500
- Discover it Cashback: $2,000
- Kohl’s Charge: $3,000
- Mercury Rewards Visa: $4,390
- Super Cash: Limit varies based on debit balance - doesn't show up in accounts anymore though on CRs.
Message 22 of 33
keekers
Established Contributor

@IcyCool7227 wrote:

I know my threads a little old but I have another question related to this. Do new creditors as well as the computer algorithms when you apply, look at your existing limits and make a determination based on that as well for 10k SLs?

Yes, at least sometimes.  Depending on the issuer.

Message 23 of 33
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

@keekers wrote:

@IcyCool7227 wrote:

Yes, at least sometimes.  Depending on the issuer.

Yes.  Some lenders want to win your business by giving you your highest credit limit (Navy Federal?).  Other lenders will absolutely not want to be your highest limit (US Bank?).

May 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, NO New Revolver [will be reassigned when new account starts reporting]
FICO8:
FICO9:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 0 mos | New Accounts: 1/6, 1/12, 3/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 24 of 33
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

@IcyCool7227 

in my 20 years of experience two ways

1) start out low like I had a dillards card that started out at 400 when I was 18, got CLIs every 4 months and got it to 10k.

2) have 70k+ income, low DTI, and be very strict with your finances

I've received 25k SLs with 150k in income and over 150k in existing credit lines. This was after about 4 years of building credit.

There are many many people who have advantages that I didnt (ie rich mothers and fathers who take care of their every little whim who also added little spoiled suzie onto their 200k boa card as an AU)

But most of us have to work our butts off.

Good luck :-)

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 25 of 33
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:

There are many many people who have advantages that I didnt (ie rich mothers and fathers who take care of their every little whim who also added little spoiled suzie onto their 200k boa card as an AU)

And then there are those whose family was killed in a civil war and lost an arm and a leg to a landmine, are starving and the idea of a credit card is just beyond their possible world view.   But it's always good to portray yourself as a self-made person, even in the world of a credit card forum!

Message 26 of 33
GZG
Valued Contributor

@IcyCool7227 wrote:

yes, it's lender dependent, but your future limits are highly based on both your current limits and your reported usage (even PIF usage) of those limits

the best way to get high limits? find somebody to give you a high limit to start with

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 27 of 33
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@GZG wrote:

@IcyCool7227 wrote:

yes, it's lender dependent, but your future limits are highly based on both your current limits and your reported usage (even PIF usage) of those limits

the best way to get high limits? find somebody to give you a high limit to start with

This is exactly why I went for a secured credit card with a $5,000 credit limit when I started rebuilding.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 28 of 33
IntegerIntrovert
Frequent Contributor

Hi,

In my expereince, it's been Income, DTI, Scores, Bank's risk appetite, and economy. In that order.

GL!

EQ - 809 / TU - 817 / EX - 817

Message 29 of 33
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@IcyCool7227 wrote:

I have fair credit. Even when I had great credit in the 730s I never got approved for a card with more than $5000 SL and never had a card past $7500. So I see a lot of posters saying they have all these $10k plus CLs but how does that happen? Do you need excellent credit or just a very high income or both?

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

@IcyCool7227 wrote:

Somehow I missed your initial posting @IcyCool7227, but I saw it when it floated to the top of the forum.  Credit limits are an interest area of mine and I've posted about them often including recently.  Go to >this recent posting< and follow the links back in each one if you want to read more. 

FICO plays more of a gatekeeper role in the new credit approval process.  Lenders use that score to determine if you qualify for their underwriting at all, and I've found that it often plays a role in the APR assigned to a new card.  If you want the best APR, you'll need a FICO in excellent range, most likely.  If your FICO is at the bottom end of whatever their approval range, you'll likely get the highest APR listed in the disclosure. 

On the other hand, credit limit is only partially affected by FICO but moreso by other factors.  You can have an 850 FICO but a credit limit is based on ability to repay the loan.  So even an 850 FICO with very low income will get a lower CL.  Lenders do also consider your other cards, so you can expect to be approved for somewhere in that average range or slightly above it.  So likewise, high income and good FICO scores alone won't open the door to high limits if someone has an undeveloped credit file.  We see that sometimes on the forums, new members who just have never applied for credit but are already at high incomes.  Lenders don't like to be way outside the range of what you've demonstrated that you can manage responsibly.  Consequently, limits for most of us have slowly risen over time.  But also, over time my income has risen which has additionally helped my starting and existing limits to grow higher.   As others have posted, I've been pleasantly surprised at reaching various new heights along the journey! 

So yes, having high limits can lead to more higher limit approvals!

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$900K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0 - SYCH - 65.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.