cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highest initial credit limits?

tag
abilliemanillie

Re: Highest initial credit limits?

My highest Ever starting credit limit was from a Credit Union (PSECU) for 30K!!! After you get a limit like that its hard to be truly accepting of lower limits. but I have, some limits are better than NO limits lol. 

Message 21 of 31
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

My highest out of the gate and my highest current is my IHG Premier (not in my sig yet).  $34,000.  I think my second is my Savor One at $20,000.  I have only proactively asked for a CLI once in my life and that was to get my AOD from a limiting $5k to a more than enough $10k.  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 22 of 31
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

@abilliemanillie wrote:

My highest Ever starting credit limit was from a Credit Union (PSECU) for 30K!!! After you get a limit like that its hard to be truly accepting of lower limits. but I have, some limits are better than NO limits lol. 

My only ever CU card was from PSECU which gave me a rather low SL.  Granted, this was about 35 years ago when my income was very, very small.

In more recent years, my largest starting limits have come from Chase ($35k), Amex ($30k), and Capital One ($30k).

May 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, NO New Revolver [will be reassigned when new account starts reporting]
FICO8:
FICO9:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 0 mos | New Accounts: 1/6, 1/12, 3/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 23 of 31
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

Using the SCT about nine years ago I was granted a $12.5K SCL on a Comenity card. It was the now defunct Overstock card. Rarely used the card.

Message 24 of 31
keekers
Established Contributor

$25K was my highest starting limit on each of my NFCU cards. It blew my mind at the time.

Message 25 of 31
Shmike
Regular Contributor

That's awesome man thanks for the information!

Was the Evergreen card difficult to get? I'm gardening currently, but I'm in the market within the next 6 months. Have to wait for a Litany of hardinquiries to fall off.

Also, I see you practice AZE4. That doesn't hurt you? I've noticed one of the metrics is: "many cards with balances", or something to that effect. If four of my cards have even minimal balances, both my FICO, and Experian state that as a reason my scores took a hit. I'm currently practicing AZE2, and that seems to optimize.

Thanks very much! 

FICO Score 8 as of 2/17/24:
Message 26 of 31
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

@Shmike wrote:

Also, I see you practice AZE4. That doesn't hurt you? I've noticed one of the metrics is: "many cards with balances", or something to that effect. If four of my cards have even minimal balances, both my FICO, and Experian state that as a reason my scores took a hit. I'm currently practicing AZE2, and that seems to optimize.

Those reason codes are explanations for why your score is not 850.  They may not actually impact your score by a significant number of points on FICO8.  I strive to keep my number of accounts reporting a balance to less than half of my total cards, so I'm practicing AZE5 or less.

May 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, NO New Revolver [will be reassigned when new account starts reporting]
FICO8:
FICO9:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 0 mos | New Accounts: 1/6, 1/12, 3/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 27 of 31
mgood
Valued Contributor

@Shmike wrote:

Was the Evergreen card difficult to get? I'm gardening currently, but I'm in the market within the next 6 months. Have to wait for a Litany of hardinquiries to fall off.

They have a prequalification site that is pretty reliable and not only tells you whether or not you qualify for the card but what your starting limit will be. They were handing out generous starting limits. And it's a good, 2% "everything else" card.

@Shmike wrote:

The different scores - FICO 8, FICO 9, FICO 5/4/2 - all seem to be different in how many accounts with balances you can have before you get a penalty. And there may be some differences depending on which scorecard you're on. It may be that you need less than half of your accounts to have a balance. Maybe less than that. It's hard to know how many a person may get away with before getting penalized in whatever score matters for what they're going to apply for next. The one thing that's easier to say about it is that All Zero Except One works for everyone and all scoring algorithms. But if you're not about to apply for anything, none of it matters.

I try to stay around AZE2. Sometimes I get a little carried away with my spending. I was recently at AZE7. I'm getting them paid off. I'm not paying interest. Three of my four are at 0% interest. Two of those are still new and in the 0% introductory period and another was just a deal I got for 0% for 12 months on purchases of $500 or more. The fourth one I pay the statement balance before the due date so I don't pay interest, but haven't quite gotten it to $0 on the statement date. Getting there.

EQ8 809, TU8 790, EX8 797 as of May 10
AZE3 - 2% Utl - New Accts: 3/6, 3/12, 7/24
Message 28 of 31
IntegerIntrovert
Frequent Contributor

WF Autograph $23k?

BECU $20k

EQ - 809 / TU - 817 / EX - 817

Message 29 of 31
Zoostation1
Valued Contributor

Since starting my rebuild my SLs have gone up with each card I've opened.  $400 secured, $2k, $3k, $5k, $10k, and $20k.  I don't know that I'll ever need a $40k or $50k limit, nor do I see ever needing that unless my income drastically increased.

Rebuild Started Nov 2021
June 2022 FICO 8:
June 2022 FICO 9:
May 2024 FICO 8:
May 2024 FICO 9:
Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.