Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highest initial credit limits?

tag
wingennis
Valued Contributor

Re: Highest initial credit limits?

@Shmike wrote:

So as I've suspected, there's no magic formula. I appreciate the reply, I suppose in my situation I just need to stay committed, and let everything mature. It's tough, I really want to get this moving along! We'll see my scores are strong, I don't have any missed payments. I think with a little patience I'll be just fine. Thanks again!

It is truly said that the credit game is a marathon and not a sprint.

Message 11 of 31
md_rebuild
Regular Contributor

I got 2 NFCU (Flagship and Amex) both within 2 months of each other, both with $25K.   I had an existing relationship with them (a Cash Rewards card with a CL of $14.5K) and did all of my banking and auto loan with them (started after my BK7 in 2019) so they could see everything.   Scores were at about where they are now.

It's funny, I was on a spree at the time and in between the Flagship and the Amex, app'd for a Discover card as well.   Got a limit of $3K.   At this point, if I'm not going to get a starting CL of at least $10K, then it's not worth it (except for AMEX).

BK7: Discharged Sept 2019
2/25/24:

Message 12 of 31
AwsiDooger
New Contributor

I just got my highest starting limit a few days ago, $25,000 from Fidelity. That followed by a week my lowest opening limit in many years, $4000 from Chase Slate.

But not overly surprising. As a gambler the various corporations look at me quite differently. American Express gives me high limits and increases even when I don't ask for them or look for them, including a tripled limit a few weeks ago. Wells Fargo is paranoid and turns me down while offering totally different explanations depending on who is speaking. Chase is all over the place. The Amazon limit keeps going up while they've never budged from the opening $1000 limit on Chase Freedom. Good thing I can use that card for small purchases like the frequent Burger King and Little Caesar's 10% offers. 

After years without a new card the only reason I applied recently because my score went way up, above 800. I started receiving preapproved notices and other offers all over the place. I was really surprised Chase Slate only allowed $4000. I had plans for those 21 months. 

Message 13 of 31
GZG
Valued Contributor

@AwsiDooger wrote:

I just got my highest starting limit a few days ago, $25,000 from Fidelity. That followed by a week my lowest opening limit in many years, $4000 from Chase Slate.

But not overly surprising. As a gambler the various corporations look at me quite differently. American Express gives me high limits and increases even when I don't ask for them or look for them, including a tripled limit a few weeks ago. Wells Fargo is paranoid and turns me down while offering totally different explanations depending on who is speaking. Chase is all over the place. The Amazon limit keeps going up while they've never budged from the opening $1000 limit on Chase Freedom. Good thing I can use that card for small purchases like the frequent Burger King and Little Caesar's 10% offers. 

After years without a new card the only reason I applied recently because my score went way up, above 800. I started receiving preapproved notices and other offers all over the place. I was really surprised Chase Slate only allowed $4000. I had plans for those 21 months. 

move limit from the amazon to the slate, and take advantage of the 21 months and move it back when you're done

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 14 of 31
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

I got the highest SL from Affinity (25k).

The lowest is from Walmart (I guess, it is ~$500). Since I do not shop at Walmart, it is in SD forever.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 15 of 31
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

I think a lot of your initial CL is based on your credit history including prior lines. For many years, maybe decades now, every new card I got had a line of $22K-26K. Seemed like too many similar to be a coincidence. 

Message 16 of 31
dunn2500
Established Contributor

22k flagship was my first card from navy, 15k WF autograph (have accts with}.....and AMEX with 10k ea.........started with 2k cards though but my CC history is only a year or so old

Message 17 of 31
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I got $30k with Venture.

Ialready had Savor and QuickSiler.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 18 of 31
Shmike
Regular Contributor

I see you've two quicksilver. I didn't know that was possible. Are you "bucketed" w/ cap 1? If so any advice on getting out? Tx 

FICO Score 8 as of 2/17/24:
Message 19 of 31
mgood
Valued Contributor

PenFed Credit Union gave me two cards, within a couple weeks of each other, that each had a $5k SL. Those were my highest SLs at the time.

Chase has given me 3 of my 4 highest SLs, $9.1k for the CFF, which was my highest limit at the time, not just highest SL. $10.6k on the CSP, which was ok but not great compared to my other limits at the time. Then the Amazon at $21.3k was by far my highest SL and matched my highest CL of the time (FNBO Evergreen). I've since lowered the limit on the Amazon to add to the other limits, but right after lowering it to $16.4k, they gave me a CLI to $17.5k Smiley Happy

FNBO Evergreen started at $11.3k, which was exactly what their pre-qual said I would get. Lots of people were getting generous SLs on that card at the time. That was my highest SL at the time and one of my higher CLs. It has grown to my highest CL at $25k.

EQ8 809, TU8 790, EX8 797 as of May 11
AZE3 - 2% Utl - New Accts: 3/6, 3/12, 7/24
Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.