Did you mean: 

Do You Pay More Than 1k In AF?

tag
Vash1
New Contributor

Re: Do You Pay More Than 1k In AF?

@ptatohed wrote:

@Vash1 wrote:

Do you pay more than 1k in annual fees a year? 

That's a big H-E, double hockey sticks - NO!   

$99 only and that's for the IHG card which, at a minimum, gives me one free $150+ stay per year.  And even that $99/yr keeps me awake at night!  lol.

lol nice. I'm not even sure if high AF's even fit in with cash back strategies unless it's at a minimum like in your case. 

Platinum (NPSL), Gold (NPSL), CSR (21500), DiscIT (9500), CFU (6400), WFA (4000), Apple (4000), BARCALAY(3600), BBP (2000), WalMart (700)
Fico 8: TU 766, EX 754, EQ 784
Current as of 4/2024
Message 11 of 50
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@JoeRockhead wrote:

It should go without saying that if an AF card doesn't benefit someone positively, (including just breaking even) they should avoid/close those cards. 

Right, except breaking even on the fee shouldn't be considered good enough!   The spend you put on to recoup the fee could have been on say a free flat 2% card.  (The exception being when no spend is needed to break even or better, as in some hotel cards with free nights)

Message 12 of 50
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Vash1 wrote:

Do you pay more than 1k in annual fees a year? And what's your ROI each year? I ask because I pay $945 but just from the card benefits I get over 1k back. I want to add the CSR for a visa infinite card but it may cross over with my platinum card. I may drop the gold after hitting the SUB and redeeming. 

Currently at $5,442 in annual fees.  I've redeemed points and miles for a little over $55,000 in combined airfare and hotels just over the past 11 months so I would say I'm coming out slightly ahead.

I'm curious as to why Gold with its great 4x earnings would not make sense for you to keep if you plan to keep Platinum?

Message 13 of 50
swankytiger
Regular Contributor

Im likely going to go up to above that $1k number but at least for the Hilton Aspire, the statement credits and FNC completely cover the Annual Fee.

Im going to likely PC my United Gateway to the Club in a few weeks.  My other AF cards are getting closed cause they dont make sense to me.  Amex Plat i can only really get $200 out of value in the credits since the airline one is the only one I can realistically use, Gold has 0 credits I can use, they wyndham i just never used, and the BoA card is getting closed cause BoA sucks if its not your main bank.

Main Card Setup

Sock Drawer

Chopping Block
Message 14 of 50
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

I have a $95 af, deferred first year lol.

Message 15 of 50
Vash1
New Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Vash1 wrote:

Do you pay more than 1k in annual fees a year? And what's your ROI each year? I ask because I pay $945 but just from the card benefits I get over 1k back. I want to add the CSR for a visa infinite card but it may cross over with my platinum card. I may drop the gold after hitting the SUB and redeeming. 

Currently at $5,442 in annual fees.  I've redeemed points and miles for a little over $55,000 in combined airfare and hotels just over the past 11 months so I would say I'm coming out slightly ahead.

I'm curious as to why Gold with its great 4x earnings would not make sense for you to keep if you plan to keep Platinum?

Wow. You've come out more than slightly ahead with that ROI in under a year lol. To answer your question I have the Platinum, Gold, and BBP which all fit so perfectly with my natural spend (and my wife) it's insane and the AF is just $50 just accounting for the card perks (or plus $350 when I can take advantage of the airline and hotel credit on the Platnium). I just always wanted the CSR and working through the math the only way I can think to justify is to drop the Gold since the grubhub credit isn't top of mind to redeem as easy as it is with the Uber Eats credit. I was thinking of product changing it to the Marriot Bonvoy Briliant as the eating credit is so flexible and the free night credit eliminates the rest of the AF (and I love Marriot hotels).

Doing that though I would primarily use CSR and CFU for spend and use the credit book for Platnium and Brilliant. Assuming UR point minimum redemption of 2.5cpp and MR at 2cpp I lose about $400 in net rewards. Typing it out it doesnt make sense but I just always wanted the CSR. Maybe it'll make more sense to PC the Platnium to the Brilliant? Or maybe just keep my current line up? Still trying to decide.

Platinum (NPSL), Gold (NPSL), CSR (21500), DiscIT (9500), CFU (6400), WFA (4000), Apple (4000), BARCALAY(3600), BBP (2000), WalMart (700)
Current as of 4/2024
Message 16 of 50
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Vash1 wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Vash1 wrote:

Wow. You've come out more than slightly ahead with that ROI in under a year lol. To answer your question I have the Platinum, Gold, and BBP which all fit so perfectly with my natural spend (and my wife) it's insane and the AF is just $50 just accounting for the card perks (or plus $350 when I can take advantage of the airline and hotel credit on the Platnium). I just always wanted the CSR and working through the math the only way I can think to justify is to drop the Gold since the grubhub credit isn't top of mind to redeem as easy as it is with the Uber Eats credit. I was thinking of product changing it to the Marriot Bonvoy Briliant as the eating credit is so flexible and the free night credit eliminates the rest of the AF (and I love Marriot hotels).

Doing that though I would primarily use CSR and CFU for spend and use the credit book for Platnium and Brilliant. Assuming UR point minimum redemption of 2.5cpp and MR at 2cpp I lose about $400 in net rewards. Typing it out it doesnt make sense but I just always wanted the CSR. Maybe it'll make more sense to PC the Platnium to the Brilliant? Or maybe just keep my current line up? Still trying to decide.

You cannot PC a Amex charge to a Amex CC, you can only PC/downgrade to another Amex Charge, for example plat or gold to green.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 17 of 50
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@JoeRockhead wrote:

It should go without saying that if an AF card doesn't benefit someone positively, (including just breaking even) they should avoid/close those cards. 

Right, except breaking even on the fee shouldn't be considered good enough!   The spend you put on to recoup the fee could have been on say a free flat 2% card.  (The exception being when no spend is needed to break even or better, as in some hotel cards with free nights)

That's my view as well.  I have to consider the opportunity cost of not putting the spend on my Citi Double Cash.  That's why the Amex Platinum coupon book credits work so well for me.  The credits are far in excess of any lost 1% in rewards.  I also take advantage of the freebies from my United Explorer card (free checked bags and lounge passes, plus better award access).  The other two AF cards that I have generate enough additional rewards for me to easily surpass a 2% card.

May 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, NO New Revolver [will be reassigned when new account starts reporting]
FICO8:
FICO9:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 0 mos | New Accounts: 1/6, 1/12, 3/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 18 of 50
Vash1
New Contributor

@redpat wrote:

@Vash1 wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Vash1 wrote:

You cannot PC a Amex charge to a Amex CC, you can only PC/downgrade to another Amex Charge, for example plat or gold to green.

Oh ok thanks for the heads up. Did not know that.

Current as of 4/2024
Message 19 of 50
ways2go
Frequent Contributor

I have the original IHG card and the annual fee is $49 bucks and I get a free night.  They keep asking me to upgrade to the $99 one and I keep turning it down.  I'm never upgrading it.

Message 20 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.