Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do You Pay More Than 1k In AF?

tag
Vash1
New Contributor

Do You Pay More Than 1k In AF?

Do you pay more than 1k in annual fees a year? And what's your ROI each year? I ask because I pay $945 but just from the card benefits I get over 1k back. I want to add the CSR for a visa infinite card but it may cross over with my platinum card. I may drop the gold after hitting the SUB and redeeming. 

Platinum (NPSL), Gold (NPSL), CSR (21500), DiscIT (9500), CFU (6400), WFA (4000), Apple (4000), BARCALAY(3600), BBP (2000), WalMart (700)
Fico 8: TU 766, EX 754, EQ 784
Current as of 4/2024
Message 1 of 50
49 REPLIES 49
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Do You Pay More Than 1k In AF?

Probably right around 1k a year.. 450$ ritz.  Easily get benefit of that between 85k room and airline credits..  Delta cards of two 350ish(will dump both of them at end of 2nd year so Amex RAT doesnt get on me made sure payed two AF's.  CSP $95(worth it mainly for Primary rental car insurance).  49 IHG car(free night certainly worth it), $50 NFCU card and sure i am missing another one I can't think about now.  Overall ROI is worth it other than Deltas for me which were elevated sign-up bonuses but likely had a good ROI as 250k pesos from them

Message 2 of 50
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

I pay close to $1500 in annual fees for 4 cards, but they all more than pay for themselves through the additional rewards/perks/credits.  The Amex Platinum coupon book netted me almost $400 last year all by itself.  If an annual fee card is no longer meeting my needs, or has been supplanted by a new card, I will either downgrade it to a no annual fee option or just close it out.

May 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, NO New Revolver [will be reassigned when new account starts reporting]
FICO8:
FICO9:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 0 mos | New Accounts: 1/6, 1/12, 3/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 3 of 50
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

I know a lot of posters pay and get more than the AF back, but I would never get the fee back. 

Message 4 of 50
Carrington59
Established Member

Currently sitting at $4065 in AF. Accounting for the credits I value (would normally pay for even without card) and the points I earned based on 2023 spend (all points translated to CPP equivalent), I profited $2209.70 (so $6274.70 total back). Based on my money spent and points received from spend, I averaged 6.65% when translating all the different points to their CPP equivalent. Those are just from my AF cards, probably should check my ROS for no-AF as well.

Gardening Since: 07/2023 (0/6, 2/12, 11/24)

Current Cards:

Potential Future Cards:

Message 5 of 50
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@Vash1 wrote:

Do you pay more than 1k in annual fees a year? 

That's a big H-E, double hockey sticks - NO!   

$99 only and that's for the IHG card which, at a minimum, gives me one free $150+ stay per year.  And even that $99/yr keeps me awake at night!  lol.

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 6 of 50
MarkintheHV
Frequent Contributor

I give AmEx around $1600, but the return on my benefits is around $4,000So, I dont complain too much.   

Just this month alone i will be getting $650 back in hotel credits.  Big chunk of annual fee benefits, not counting gold medallion from Delta, and the$40 (4 of them) tickets to Hawaii

What's in my wallet?
NFCU Flagship - 80k | AmEx Delta Reserve - $70k | Citi AA Executive - $37k | AmEx Delta Reserve Biz - 60k | Citi AA Biz - 20k
Message 7 of 50
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

It should go without saying that if an AF card doesn't benefit someone positively, (including just breaking even) they should avoid/close those cards. 

Message 8 of 50
redpat
Senior Contributor

Yes.

They are the admission fee for better travel experiences and for getting a higher multiple than CB on redemptions with a flexible reward point's ecosystem.  How everyone nets everything out is up to them.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 9 of 50
Vash1
New Contributor

@Carrington59 wrote:

Currently sitting at $4065 in AF. Accounting for the credits I value (would normally pay for even without card) and the points I earned based on 2023 spend (all points translated to CPP equivalent), I profited $2209.70 (so $6274.70 total back). Based on my money spent and points received from spend, I averaged 6.65% when translating all the different points to their CPP equivalent. Those are just from my AF cards, probably should check my ROS for no-AF as well.

Nice breakdown! Your card setup is nice as as well.

Platinum (NPSL), Gold (NPSL), CSR (21500), DiscIT (9500), CFU (6400), WFA (4000), Apple (4000), BARCALAY(3600), BBP (2000), WalMart (700)
Fico 8: TU 766, EX 754, EQ 784
Current as of 4/2024
Message 10 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.