Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase credit card first year of credit history

tag
FranknBeans
Contributor

Chase credit card first year of credit history

I keep seeing that Chase won't approve a credit card your first year unless it's the Rise card. Question is my daughter has been an AU for a few years and has a her own Amex and Discover  card and turned 18, 4 months ago. She was preapproved for all Amex cards on her 18th bday.  She took the cash back card since she has no use for annual fee cards right now. She has a 780 credit score. Would she be approved for a freedom card since tech she has a few years as a AU. 

11 REPLIES 11
CreditPoor
Regular Contributor

Re: Chase credit card first year of credit history

They want to see her history, not your history. AUs are to be used as a supplement and not primary. Let her cards age some.

Message 2 of 12
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

Congrats on her first card (AmEx cash back).

If she has a source of income, my suspicion is she'd get approved.  But my recommendation would be to not rush it and let her establish a longer credit history before applying.  GL!  

P.S.  But.... why not start with the freedom Rise?    https://creditcards.chase.com/cash-back-credit-cards/freedom/rise  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 3 of 12
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@ptatohed wrote:

Congrats on her first card (AmEx cash back).

If she has a source of income, my suspicion is she'd get approved.  But my recommendation would be to not rush it and let her establish a longer credit history before applying.  GL!  

^^^^^ This

She is 18, no rush required.

In addition, because you like credit cards, and using one for gas,

another for grocery, and another for Amazon, etc.

She might not. (Yes @ptatohed, I know you love  having a card for every category)

I have two daughters and a wife that don't like switching cards, and

would be much more content with just one and a backup.

In fact I use to lose money because they were often using the wrong card's.

Let her learn, use, pay and find her own path.

Two cards and another one or two next year,

she will have s great start.

My 2c, let her go slow and learn.

Might not even need any Chase card.

I don't have any and sleep just fine.

Message 4 of 12
keekers
Established Contributor

@Kforce wrote:

She might not.

I'm in the same boat with my oldest son...he turned 18 and opened an nRewards secured card with NFCU and I'm having to temper myself about pushing him into the credit card game; he needs to find his own path.

Message 5 of 12
FranknBeans
Contributor

She has a 780 Fico score.  She has two cards with a 6k and a 8K CL.  The Rise would be stepping backwards. She has been using my cards for a few years as a AU.. She knows how and when to use them and how valuable they are.  She wants to work her way up to a 10k card so she can start working on travel cards. She graduates HS in three weeks and is a manager at her job. Her ultimate goals is to have a solid foundation so she can start her own business in a few years.

Message 6 of 12
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@FranknBeans wrote:

She has a 780 Fico score.  She has two cards with a 6k and a 8K CL.  The Rise would be stepping backwards. She has been using my cards for a few years as a AU.. She knows how and when to use them and how valuable they are.  She wants to work her way up to a 10k card so she can start working on travel cards. She graduates HS in three weeks and is a manager at her job. Her ultimate goals is to have a solid foundation so she can start her own business in a few years.

I don't see it as a step back at all.  Even if her limit was lower than $6 - 8k.  It would get her in with Chase, paving the way to future cards.  She'd get 1.5% CB.  A one time $25.  I'm not seeing any negatives.  Why, what Chase card does she want?  

No hope:
Message 7 of 12
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@keekers wrote:

@Kforce wrote:

She might not.

I'm in the same boat with my oldest son...he turned 18 and opened an nRewards secured card with NFCU and I'm having to temper myself about pushing him into the credit card game; he needs to find his own path.

My oldest (13) is an AU on my citi Double Cash.  On his recent East Coast school field trip, he earned me some pennies...... while spending lots of my dollars.  Smiley Frustrated

No hope:
Message 8 of 12
FranknBeans
Contributor

She wants the Freedom Flex, Southwest, Hyatt and CSP as of now.  She knows she only has 3/24 slots left.   Capital One preapproved for all cars except the Venture X but no welcome offers.  No Citi love. BOA has sent her mailers.  Chase has preappoved her for a 20k car loan to take over my wife's second vehicle but she hasn't done that yet.  

Message 9 of 12
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@keekers wrote:

@Kforce wrote:

She might not.

Good for you.

Hard not to push your view on credit cards because you enjoy the

game as many on this forum do.

I myself have done a 180 degree.

Found this forum in 2015

Started collecting cards, hit 13-14 and decided the extra work was

not worth the extra money.

Today I put all spend on one card.

Yes a little lie.

I need to keep 5 sock drawer cards alive with 5-10

every few months. But 95%+ on one.

My family has no trouble picking the correct card   Smiley LOL

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.