cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avant 2% cash back card actually a ̶3̶%̶ 2.98% catch-all

tag
BuckyB
New Contributor

Re: Avant 2% cash back card actually a 3% catch-all card...

@Bockrocker wrote:

Pretty cool.  If discover or staples gift cards works it could be a nice find.  You pay with debit directly through their site?

Correct but let me see if the debit cards I'm thinking of will do what I want them to do.

Though the idea of paying with a prepaid card is certainly interesting.. hmmmm

Message 11 of 33
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@BuckyB wrote:

Though the idea of paying with a prepaid card is certainly interesting.. hmmmm

From time to time this has been used by MS players.  The major use case is/was Citi, taking payment over the phone.  It seemed to vary by rep (some would say "debit" cards could only be used if payment was already late" etc) but there was a lot of success.

Message 12 of 33
Zoostation1
Valued Contributor

@BuckyB wrote:

Don't leave us hanging!  What would that be exactly, rounded to the nearest hundredth of a percent?  2.98%? (Lawyers can't do math)

The card can be found by googling "Avant 2% cash back" which should bring up a list of results.  Can't be done through the Avant site BTW.  All their publicly offered cards have an annual fee and are likely not cash back cards.

I had a targeted mailer for this card back in April, roughly a year and a half after I got back into the world of credit.  The mailer noted $3k as the max starting limit, but didn't reference it as a the max they'll go to in total.  I didn't take them up on it cause I was just far enough along to have a chance with some prime cards.

Rebuild Started Nov 2021
June 2022 FICO 8:
June 2022 FICO 9:
May 2024 FICO 8:
May 2024 FICO 9:
Message 13 of 33
Wingly

I can confirm paying over the automated phone system still works with Citi and Sync cards (don't have to be late). Debit cards that has worked for me with this method has been the Affinity and the Coinbase debit card. It's still a little bit of a hassle having to remember to call for that extra 1% but it's a bonus for any Citi and Sync card when you do remember. 

Message 14 of 33
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

are they charging a fee though for the debit card payment?

mercedes let me pay my payment on a card last month, waived the fee, and I got 1.5% back! :-)

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 15 of 33
BuckyB
New Contributor

No fee on the debit card payment, HOWEVER, I split the payment into two, trying both the Dis***** debit card and the Aff***** FCU cards, and...

The AFCU card went through OK.  We'll see if it gets its 1% reward.

But the Disco debit card was rejected.  An automated error said  "The card information you entered appears to belong to a credit card. If this is a mistake, please re-enter your debit card information or call 800-BLAHBLAH."  Tried on both app and web site to no avail.

So I'm assuming the Disco card prefix of "6011" is coded in their system as "credit card." 

The sad thing is AFCU only gives 1% back on the first $1000 spent each month so not sure it's worth the effort, even if it gets cash back for this type of transaction.  Since the Disco debit gets 1% back on the first $3000/month, I'm tempted to call the 800 number and try to add the Disco debit with a rep but I have a feeling they'll just get the same error and it'll be a waste of my time.

Kinda disappointed.

Message 16 of 33
IcyCool7227
Regular Contributor

Bucky what ended up happening? Did you get the cashback?

Also I did find that the FutureCard debit works with 1% if you email them to credit it manually as I used it for the first old U.S. Bank charge off payment and Amazon Sybchrony. But if you use PayPal bill pay with their debit card they won't credit it manually as they don't get 1% being a PayPal service.

As of: 3/28/24:

EQ: 785 (prev. 778 on 2/6/24; 773 on 1/26/24 & 750 on 1/7/24 & 626 on 6/7/24 & 652 in April 2023) - FICO 8
EX: 763 (prev. 755 on 2/6/24; 753 on 1/26/24 & 732 on 1/7/24 & 643 on 6/7/24 & 619 in April 2023) - FICO 8
TU: 759 (prev. 748 on 2/6/24; 744 on 1/26/24 & 689 on 1/7/24 & 6/7/24 & 654 in April 2023) - CreditKarma

Have:
- Amazon Prime Store Card: $5,000
- Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards: $1,200
- Chase Freedom Flex: $500
- Discover it Cashback: $2,000
- Kohl’s Charge: $3,000
- Mercury Rewards Visa: $4,390
- Super Cash: Limit varies based on debit balance - doesn't show up in accounts anymore though on CRs.
Message 17 of 33
IcyCool7227
Regular Contributor

Has anyone gotten cashback with Affinity's cashback debit card for paying their credit card bills? I would like to know so I don't have to waste a Chex inquiry to find out. Other than that nowadays the best debit card to pay credit card bills is the 50 cent Primis one but I'm very careful not to charge lots of little amounts in a short time span as I don't want to be seen as abusing their rewards program.

As of: 3/28/24:

EQ: 785 (prev. 778 on 2/6/24; 773 on 1/26/24 & 750 on 1/7/24 & 626 on 6/7/24 & 652 in April 2023) - FICO 8
EX: 763 (prev. 755 on 2/6/24; 753 on 1/26/24 & 732 on 1/7/24 & 643 on 6/7/24 & 619 in April 2023) - FICO 8
TU: 759 (prev. 748 on 2/6/24; 744 on 1/26/24 & 689 on 1/7/24 & 6/7/24 & 654 in April 2023) - CreditKarma

Have:
- Amazon Prime Store Card: $5,000
- Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards: $1,200
- Chase Freedom Flex: $500
- Discover it Cashback: $2,000
- Kohl’s Charge: $3,000
- Mercury Rewards Visa: $4,390
- Super Cash: Limit varies based on debit balance - doesn't show up in accounts anymore though on CRs.
Message 18 of 33
pip3man
Valued Contributor

@IcyCool7227 wrote:

Has anyone gotten cashback with Affinity's cashback debit card for paying their credit card bills? I would like to know so I don't have to waste a Chex inquiry to find out. Other than that nowadays the best debit card to pay credit card bills is the 50 cent Primis one but I'm very careful not to charge lots of little amounts in a short time span as I don't want to be seen as abusing their rewards program.

I have and can confirm this. I consistently get 1% cashback on my Affinity debit card for using it to make credit card payment. I have Mercury MC and Capital One CC that accepts debit payments. C1 took away that option though. As long as the transaction post as a "POS" you will get 1% cashback on the first $1000 per month.

Message 19 of 33
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@IcyCool7227 wrote:

So, you are saying that because you don't have a debit card to get 1%, the 50c is the best?  How are you paying your credit cards with debit cards.  The only payment options I see for my credit cards is Checking or Savings.  Is citi the only cc company that allows debit card payments?  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.