Established Contributor

Re: APR insanity!!! SMH...

That's great robbery!

Message 11 of 29
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@DoppelgangerD wrote:

I received a letter in the mail today that the standard APR for the Synchrony TJX MC is increasing to 34.99%.

Holy mama!!! 

For reference, it's actually my wife's account, and she/I both have impeccable credit with scores well into the 800s

I remember the days when interest rates this egregious were actually illegal. SMH...

Yes, this is tragic. It takes advantage of those that can least afford it.  Back in the mid 1990s inflation and interest rates were higher but my card APRs were all under 16% as I recall.

Cards had fewer perks back then. I suspect some of the funding for all the cashback rewards and perks these days is from APR fees. Swipe fees have been capped. Now banks have reached a $30B settlement with government cap to late fees. Well let's make up the projected shortfall and then some by cranking up APRs.

Side notes:

- Current prime rate is 8.5%. Average card APR is 22.5% with a trend toward +30%.

- In 1998 when prime rate was 8.5% average card APR was 15.75%.

By comparison mortgage rates in 1998 vs 2024 are about the same - around 7.25%.

What happened to regulation of card APRs?

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 12 of 29
DoppelgangerD
Contributor

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

@DoppelgangerD wrote:

I received a letter in the mail today that the standard APR for the Synchrony TJX MC is increasing to 34.99%.

Holy mama!!! 

For reference, it's actually my wife's account, and she/I both have impeccable credit with scores well into the 800s

I remember the days when interest rates this egregious were actually illegal. SMH...

Yes, this is tragic. It takes advantage of those that can least afford it.  Back in the 1980s inflation and interest rates were much higher but my card APRs were all under 20% as I recall.

Cards had few, if any, perks back then. I suspect some of the funding for all the cashback rewards and perks these days is from APR fees. Swipe fees have been capped.

Yup, I think that's part of it.

Yet another part is that people are carrying less balances/debt than they used to. You'd never know it since the news goes on about credit card debt being high, but it's mostly artificial.

If I spend $5k on a card, then wait for the due date and pay it off, the statistics say I'm $5k in debt with CCs.

However in reality I'm just working the points/cb/perks and a free short term loan, but not swimming in debt.

Sure plenty of people do carry large balances, but I think less than they used to, and people are learning better how to use credit, and credit scores on average are at an all time high. This has pushed banks to try harder to get your money.

That and the greed plaguing corporations of late and of course banks have always been greedy, but we're in an era of ridiculousness now.

Message 13 of 29
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

Wow, that's the highest I have ever seen.  I remember (and it doesn't seem that long ago) when 18% was a "bad high".  I guess now, we can double that!  But, hey, if those paying 35% APR subsidise my 3 - 5% CB, I guess I will selfishly accept it.  Smiley Wink  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 14 of 29
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@ptatohed wrote:

Wow, that's the highest I have ever seen.  I remember (and it doesn't seem that long ago) when 18% was a "bad high".  I guess now, we can double that!  But, hey, if those paying 35% APR subsidise my 3 - 5% CB, I guess I will selfishly accept it.  Smiley Wink  

The problem is those paying 35% tend to be those least able to afford it. We're living in a golden age of credit card rewards, but they're being paid for by a struggling underclass.

I'd be perfectly happy if they got rid of all rewards, and lowered the rates overall. Though that would require a systemic change, because as long as the current system exists, a single person choosing to opt out doesn't really help anyone.

Message 15 of 29
EAT_SLEEP_JEEP
Valued Contributor

@Anonymalous wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

The problem is those paying 35% tend to be those least able to afford it. We're living in a golden age of credit card rewards, but they're being paid for by a struggling underclass.

I'd be perfectly happy if they got rid of all rewards, and lowered the rates overall. Though that would require a systemic change, because as long as the current system exists, a single person choosing to opt out doesn't really help anyon

I say this as someone who has in the past racked up crushing CC debt and now uses credit cards the correct way for cash back, points and travel by paying them off monthly.  No one holds gun to your head and makes you charge up cards to the point you struggle or cannot pay them off. Those are choices made by them knowing the rules of the game before hand. 

Peoples financial illiteracy is not the banks fault. Just look through some posts in the past in the Auto Loan section by people with mid to high 500 to low 600 scores and a $30k annual income asking about $55k plus auto loan at 18% or higher like they deserve it and have to know how to get approved somehow.

KEEPER EVERYDAY CARDS/ AMEX CHARLES SCHWAB PLATINUM NPSL/ AMEX GOLD NPSL / AMEX GREEN NPSL/ AMEX EVERYDAY PREFERRED $30,000 CL/ AMEX BLUE BUSINESS PLUS $5000 SL/ AMEX BLUE CASH EVERYDAY $6000 / FIDELITY REWARDS VISA $23,500 SL/ NFCU FLAGSHIP $40,000 CL/ NFCU MORE REWARDS $33,000/ WELLS FARGO AUTOGRAPH $8200/ CITI COSTCO ANYWHERE VISA $6000 SL/ DISCOVER IT $3000 SL/ CAPITAL ONE SAVORONE $3000 SL

SOCK DRAWERED/ FNBO JEEP CARD $7700/ APPLE CARD $6500/ / PAYPAL CREDIT LINE $1700

Message 16 of 29
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@EAT_SLEEP_JEEP wrote:

@Anonymalous wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

I'd be perfectly happy if they got rid of all rewards, and lowered the rates overall. Though that would require a systemic change, because as long as the current system exists, a single person choosing to opt out doesn't really help anyon

I say this as someone who has in the past racked up crushing CC debt and now uses credit cards the correct way for cash back, points and travel by paying them off monthly.  No one holds gun to your head and makes you charge up cards to the point you struggle or cannot pay them off. Those are choices made by them knowing the rules of the game before hand. 

Peoples financial illiteracy is not the banks fault. Just look through some posts in the past in the Auto Loan section by people with mid to high 500 to low 600 scores and a $30k annual income asking about $55k plus auto loan at 18% or higher like they deserve it and have to know how to get approved somehow.

We're humans, and we react to incentive structures. And the package of incentives we call credit cards are designed to lure people into carrying high-interest debt, and to blow up like a landmine when certain triggers are tripped.

Education is important, and the U.S. is terrible at both formal and informal means of financial education, but it doesn't change the way the incentives are laid out. We can either set up a system where people are encouraged toward good behavior, or one that encourages bad behavior. We currently have the latter.

I say this is as someone who spent most of my life paying for everything in cash, and who currently has excellent credit. I know how to manage money and that's reinforced by long-worn habits, so barring something catastrophic I'm at no risk of falling into any of the traps. But as a relative outsider who is still fairly new to credit, I find it remarkable how much the system seems designed to mask, befuddle, and lead people down a path of failure, one honeyed step at a time.

Some of this is due to the financial institutions, but much of it is the regulatory, economic, and social environment in general. The consumer mentality, saving being denigrated and punished, artificially low interest rates, and more all contribute.

Message 17 of 29
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

I have been fortunate enough to never have a late payment. However, it is quite easy to get into crushing debt from medical bills, natural disasters or unexpected job loss. Low income earners and many on fixed income are not able to pay down CC debt at 20% APR let alone 35%.

With a prime rate at 8.5% there is certainly room for profits at 15%-18% APR on "no frills cards". These increases are criminal. 

"Thanks for being a long time card member with us. Your APR as of next month will be 34%. Yes, we realize it was 12.9% when you signed up years ago. If you don't like the change, pay your bill and leave. Have a nice day."

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 18 of 29
Gollum
Established Contributor

@markhs777 wrote:

The days when Simmons Bank used have an APR of 6% are long gone, even they have 28% rates. No point in complaining. As you say just pay in full and the rate is 100% irrelevant.

To be fair, the current (for Simmons Bank) 28.4% maximum interest rate is for a secured card (Simmons Bank Foundation Visa). That maximum interest rate is not much worse than the current 23.5% maximum for the Simmons Visa or the current 25.5% maximum for the Simmons Rewards Visa Signature, though.

My current interest rate for my Simmons Bank Visa is 12.5%, for those "interest"ed. Smiley Wink

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian May 2024, 844 TransUnion April 2024 | (FICO 9) 846 Equifax May 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 19 of 29
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

This DP might be an outlier. Based on Forbes, the average APR in this week is around 27.9%: https://www.forbes.com/advisor/credit-cards/average-credit-card-interest-rate/

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.