cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5% Cash Back cards with selectable categories?

tag
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

Re: 5% Cash Back cards with selectable categories?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

And.... I have no interest in paying at the POS with my phone (but, if I were to, it would have to be for 5%, lol).  Smiley Happy

A littile off topic:  When mobile pay was less common than now, it was a bit of pain, first seeing if you could use it then reaching for the cards!   But now, at least where I go it's nearly accepted everywhere, so my physical wallet only has two credit cards, Altitude Reserve and a 2% cash back (for when I can't use mobile pay).  I don't really need to carry the AR either, just from when certain airlines or hotels need to see a physical card.  All rotators, things like Amazon Prime for Whole Foods etc, are on the phone

I find this so useful I would use mobile wallet even if there was no rewards advantage (well, I already do that when using cards apart from AR).  It allows me to have a very slim wallet, I already take my phone with me everywhere so it may as well do this job too!   And if I lose it, I still have the physical cards at home

ltl, call me crazy, wacky, weird, odd, strange... (dare I go on?), ......... and you wouldn't be wrong.  Smiley Wink  But I don't want a password on my phone.  I expect instant-on.  The one time I 'tried to try' digital wallet (I think Chase or Discover had 5% that quarter for digi wallet), it made me put a password on my phone.  No thanks.  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 31 of 46
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@IcyCool7227 wrote:

What about Safe Credit Union - 5% VCB:

https://www.safecu.org/personal/borrow-money/credit-cards/cash-back-plus-visa-signature-credit-card

Mentioned in Post #1.  Smiley Wink

No hope:
Message 32 of 46
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@ptatohed wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

And.... I have no interest in paying at the POS with my phone (but, if I were to, it would have to be for 5%, lol).  Smiley Happy

A littile off topic:  When mobile pay was less common than now, it was a bit of pain, first seeing if you could use it then reaching for the cards!   But now, at least where I go it's nearly accepted everywhere, so my physical wallet only has two credit cards, Altitude Reserve and a 2% cash back (for when I can't use mobile pay).  I don't really need to carry the AR either, just from when certain airlines or hotels need to see a physical card.  All rotators, things like Amazon Prime for Whole Foods etc, are on the phone

I find this so useful I would use mobile wallet even if there was no rewards advantage (well, I already do that when using cards apart from AR).  It allows me to have a very slim wallet, I already take my phone with me everywhere so it may as well do this job too!   And if I lose it, I still have the physical cards at home

ltl, call me crazy, wacky, weird, odd, strange... (dare I go on?), ......... and you wouldn't be wrong.  Smiley Wink  But I don't want a password on my phone.  I expect instant-on.  The one time I 'tried to try' digital wallet (I think Chase or Discover had 5% that quarter for digi wallet), it made me put a password on my phone.  No thanks.  

Same with your house and car?   Who can be bothered with keys, just want to push the door open and get in (and in the car case, press the buttom and start driving).   But yes, until the digitial wallet took over my brain, I didn't password my phone either.

Message 33 of 46
Wu-Credit
Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

Same with your house and car?   Who can be bothered with keys, just want to push the door open and get in (and in the car case, press the buttom and start driving).   But yes, until the digitial wallet took over my brain, I didn't password my phone either.

I, too, never used phone passwords until digital wallet. But now it's just more convenient than carrying multiple cards. I only carry two  physical CCs and the Affinity CB debit for places that don't take digital wallet or charge a CC convenience fee.

Cards & Loans

myFICO | 754↑
Message 34 of 46
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

If only my house and my car fit in my pocket and went everywhere I did............  

And, FYI, some of us still have cars that require the turn of a key to start.  Smiley Tongue  

No hope:
Message 35 of 46
Wu-Credit
Contributor

@ptatohed wrote:

And, FYI, some of us still have cars that require the turn of a key to start.  Smiley Tongue  

I literally just bought my first push start (2015) last month! It felt so wierd at first. Smiley Tongue

I put in on my BofA Unlimited intro 0% promo. I have until January to pay off or balance transfer to maybe one of the CU unicorns people are sharing. Wish I could get into Vantage West! Grrrr.

Cards & Loans

myFICO | 754↑
Message 36 of 46
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@Wu-Credit wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

I literally just bought my first push start (2015) last month! It felt so wierd at first. Smiley Tongue

I put in on my BofA Unlimited intro 0% promo. I have until January to pay off or balance transfer to maybe one of the CU unicorns people are sharing. Wish I could get into Vantage West! Grrrr.

Nice, congrats Wu.  Enjoy!  I do have a nicer/newer push-button start car but my daily beater is a 2003 Acura TL with ripped seats and peeling clear coat, lol.  

No hope:
Message 37 of 46
Wu-Credit
Contributor

@ptatohed wrote:

@Wu-Credit wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

Nice, congrats Wu.  Enjoy!  I do have a nicer/newer push-button start car but my daily beater is a 2003 Acura TL with ripped seats and peeling clear coat, lol.  

Thanks! Sounds just like the beater I traded in for the push start! haha.

Cards & Loans

myFICO | 754↑
Message 38 of 46
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@ptatohed wrote:

Actually, so do I, but it didn't support my analogy, so.....

I guess what we need is a fob you carry that automatically unlocks your phone if it is near enough you.   One extra thing but relatively seamless

Message 39 of 46
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

I guess what we need is a fob you carry that automatically unlocks your phone if it is near enough you.   One extra thing but relatively seamless

My phone can be unlocked by my bluetooth connected watch if the watch is nearby, unlocked, and worn on my wrist.  However, I don't activate that feature.  I am very risk adverse and always have my phone set to automatically lock (even before I ever used mobile wallet).

May 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, NO New Revolver [will be reassigned when new account starts reporting]
FICO8:
FICO9:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 0 mos | New Accounts: 1/6, 1/12, 3/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 40 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.