cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5% Cash Back cards with selectable categories?

tag
Wu-Credit
Contributor

Re: 5% Cash Back cards with selectable categories?

I want that Vantage West Connect Rewards to compliment my other 5% cards. Maybe I should ask another member for a referral? Is that allowed?

Cards & Loans

myFICO | 754↑
Message 21 of 46
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@ptatohed wrote:

And.... I have no interest in paying at the POS with my phone (but, if I were to, it would have to be for 5%, lol).  Smiley Happy

A littile off topic:  When mobile pay was less common than now, it was a bit of pain, first seeing if you could use it then reaching for the cards!   But now, at least where I go it's nearly accepted everywhere, so my physical wallet only has two credit cards, Altitude Reserve and a 2% cash back (for when I can't use mobile pay).  I don't really need to carry the AR either, just from when certain airlines or hotels need to see a physical card.  All rotators, things like Amazon Prime for Whole Foods etc, are on the phone

I find this so useful I would use mobile wallet even if there was no rewards advantage (well, I already do that when using cards apart from AR).  It allows me to have a very slim wallet, I already take my phone with me everywhere so it may as well do this job too!   And if I lose it, I still have the physical cards at home

Message 22 of 46
IcyCool7227
Regular Contributor

What about Safe Credit Union - 5% VCB:

https://www.safecu.org/personal/borrow-money/credit-cards/cash-back-plus-visa-signature-credit-card

As of: 3/28/24:

EQ: 785 (prev. 778 on 2/6/24; 773 on 1/26/24 & 750 on 1/7/24 & 626 on 6/7/24 & 652 in April 2023) - FICO 8
EX: 763 (prev. 755 on 2/6/24; 753 on 1/26/24 & 732 on 1/7/24 & 643 on 6/7/24 & 619 in April 2023) - FICO 8
TU: 759 (prev. 748 on 2/6/24; 744 on 1/26/24 & 689 on 1/7/24 & 6/7/24 & 654 in April 2023) - CreditKarma

Have:
- Amazon Prime Store Card: $5,000
- Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards: $1,200
- Chase Freedom Flex: $500
- Discover it Cashback: $2,000
- Kohl’s Charge: $3,000
- Mercury Rewards Visa: $4,390
- Super Cash: Limit varies based on debit balance - doesn't show up in accounts anymore though on CRs.
Message 23 of 46
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

A littile off topic:  When mobile pay was less common than now, it was a bit of pain, first seeing if you could use it then reaching for the cards!   But now, at least where I go it's nearly accepted everywhere, so my physical wallet only has two credit cards, Altitude Reserve and a 2% cash back (for when I can't use mobile pay).

I am not sure whether it is wisely to carry a heavily metallic card like AR in the physical wallet. I was keeping it in the flip case of my mobile and in the first week, it got dropped somewhere. So, I needed to request a replacement Smiley Happy

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 24 of 46
digitek
Established Contributor

Just a heads up that I did pass my info to a forum member as a referral for Vantage West and they were not allowed membership due to geofence, so a referral doesn't seem to get around that restriction like was shared in that other thread.

Message 25 of 46
Wu-Credit
Contributor

@digitek wrote:

Just a heads up that I did pass my info to a forum member as a referral for Vantage West and they were not allowed membership due to geofence, so a referral doesn't seem to get around that restriction like was shared in that other thread.

Well, that's a bummer! Thanks for confirming.

I guess I'll need to see if I have any long lost siblings in AZ Smiley Tongue

Cards & Loans

myFICO | 754↑
Message 26 of 46
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

@ptatohed  There is the Elan version of Cash+ which is Max Cash. Several credit unions and some banks offer it. Connexus credit union is one. The forum probably yield several more posibilities.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 27 of 46
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@AndySoCal wrote:

@ptatohed  There is the Elan version of Cash+ which is Max Cash. Several credit unions and some banks offer it. Connexus credit union is one. The forum probably yield several more posibilities.

These are the "twins" referred to in his original post

Message 28 of 46
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@ptatohed wrote:

@elboullee wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

I was giving it some thought and it hit me that being able to select your own 5% cat is pretty handy.  I still enjoy my rotators but being able to know which cats you can earn 5% CB in all year long, without taking it quarter by quarter, is pretty sweet.  

citi Custom Cash.  Not selectable as in you check a box but selectable by your spending habits.  Great card.

BoA Customized Cash Rewards (but only with Platinum Honors).

USB Cash+ and twins.  Two selectable categories!  

Vantage West (Possible hoop jumping and/or possible geo restrictions).  

Don't all of those just have a relatively few selectable categories from which to choose?

For example, neither gas or groceries are 5% categories for the USB Cash+ and utilities aren't a category for the Custom Cash.

The idea of having and trying to manage 20+ cards just to get an extra 2% or so on a few thousand in spend a year sounds like an absolute nightmare to me.

With just two cards, the CFF and Discover IT for example, you end up getting 5% [on $1.5K spend per quarter on each card] for six months of the year on all of the major categories [or 5% on up to $3K in spend when the cards duplicate their categories]. And with the CFF you get 7% for three months on resturants and drugstores. I think 7% for three months on resturants would, for most people, more than make up for losing the 2% for the other six months on all of those other cards.

YMMV

For me, I was thinking the opposite.  I was thinking getting 5% cards with selectable categories could simplify things!  No rotating categories for those cards.  You could take the card, set up to auto-pay your utilities/phone/cable/streaming, whatever it might be and that card doesn't even need to be in your wallet.  You can pick restaurants as your cat and that frees up the rotators to go for something else that quarter (and/or increase your cap on restaurants).  I have no problem juggling cards.  No nightmare here.  Only enjoyment.  Smiley Wink    

The Sears card does kinda complicate things for us though.....

(5/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 29 of 46
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

@elboullee wrote:

@ptatohed wrote:

I was giving it some thought and it hit me that being able to select your own 5% cat is pretty handy.  I still enjoy my rotators but being able to know which cats you can earn 5% CB in all year long, without taking it quarter by quarter, is pretty sweet.  

citi Custom Cash.  Not selectable as in you check a box but selectable by your spending habits.  Great card.

BoA Customized Cash Rewards (but only with Platinum Honors).

USB Cash+ and twins.  Two selectable categories!  

Vantage West (Possible hoop jumping and/or possible geo restrictions).  

Don't all of those just have a relatively few selectable categories from which to choose?

For example, neither gas or groceries are 5% categories for the USB Cash+ and utilities aren't a category for the Custom Cash.

The idea of having and trying to manage 20+ cards just to get an extra 2% or so on a few thousand in spend a year sounds like an absolute nightmare to me.

With just two cards, the CFF and Discover IT for example, you end up getting 5% [on $1.5K spend per quarter on each card] for six months of the year on all of the major categories [or 5% on up to $3K in spend when the cards duplicate their categories]. And with the CFF you get 7% for three months on resturants and drugstores. I think 7% for three months on resturants would, for most people, more than make up for losing the 2% for the other six months on all of those other cards.

YMMV

For me, I was thinking the opposite.  I was thinking getting 5% cards with selectable categories could simplify things!  No rotating categories for those cards.  You could take the card, set up to auto-pay your utilities/phone/cable/streaming, whatever it might be and that card doesn't even need to be in your wallet.  You can pick restaurants as your cat and that frees up the rotators to go for something else that quarter (and/or increase your cap on restaurants).  I have no problem juggling cards.  No nightmare here.  Only enjoyment.  Smiley Wink    

The Sears card does kinda complicate things for us though.....

lol, very true cf!!  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 30 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.