Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surprise AMEX Gold Approval

tag
xiuxiuejar
Established Member

Surprise AMEX Gold Approval

So after 8 years of being in the wilderness, I decided to rebuild my credit this year. A brief history: I used to have a stellar 850 credit score with over 100k in available credit, but then got really sick, lost my job and was in a dark place for a long tme.  Got approved for SSDI last year and received a very large backpay check and today am in good shape financially. I plan on living a long time so figured I'd fix my credit because I want to build a house in Colorado and will need to be partially financed. 

Started with around a 580 FICO across the board in December. Applied for a Cap One Platinum. Approved for $300 with no annual fee. Since then have done a PC to SavorOne and got an automatic increase to $500 at 3 months. In February I got 3 secured cards: Discover, NFCU nRewards, and US Bank Altitude Go each with $1000 security deposit. Got limit increase to $1400 on nRewards this month. Meanwhile, my credit score improved in all 3- best is Experian with 750 FICO8 and worst is TransUnion with 650 FICO8. 

Decided to test AMEX pre-approval. I burned AMEX for around $3000 total on 3 different cards so was expecting automatic rejection due to being blacklisted. But I went through the process knowing it would be a softie unless by some longshot I was approved. Spining circle and then... You aren't eligible for sign up bonus of 60000 points. Okay, I said continue... another spinning circle... any authorized users? Naw, just me, continue... AND...

APPROVED!!!

Well, I have a heart condition  so I'm surprised I didn't go into cardiac arrest I was in such shock. I just laughed and I think a few tears streamed down my face. I'm back!!!

I was tempted to try BoA and Chase, but I burned them for a lot more and realy, I don't care if I ever get a card from those two again. But I'm back in the AMEX family and like the prodigal son... I still have the "Member since '91" on their website.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
nytokyobred79
Valued Contributor

Re: Surprise AMEX Gold Approval

Congratulations on getting back in with AMEX. Must feel great to be back in with them. And also, it appears you've picked up some great secured cards with some other great banks as well. I think you're in good shape on your rebuild. I would garden now for the next 12 months and let your current cards/profile age. Best of luck as you continue your rebuild and I hope that your secured cards unsecure in due course. 

Avoided credit cards after ruining my financial health but got back into the game in 2019 after a 20 year hiatus
Total Revolving CL- $205, 500 | Order of Opened Cards
Delta SkyMiles Blue- SL-$1K | CL- $22.6K
(pc'd from SkyMiles Platinum back to Blue)
Delta SkyMiles Reserve- SL- $10K | CL- $20K
Chase Sapphire Reserve- SL $20K | CL- $39K
Cap 1 Venture Rewards- SL $10K | CL $ 20.5K
Amex Everyday Preferred- SL $13.1K | CL $10K ( moved some limits around )
Chase Freedom Unlimited: SL $23.4K| CL $36.8K
BOA Unlimited Cash SL: $20.8K| CL $10.8K(moved some limits around)
BOA Travel Rewards SL: $20.8K | CL $5.8K(moved some limits around)
Amex Blue Cash Everyday SL: $10K
Amex Green Card: NPSL / POT: 17K
BOA BankAmericard: SL: $5K | CL: $30K
Message 2 of 21
Ihatecridetscores

I'm starting to think bankruptcy is better than trying to rebuild your credit. I have been trying to raise my credit scores since 2020 and I've only managed to raise them maybe 50 to 60 points going from a 609 to a 682 on my Eq. And a 600 to 670 on my Tu my ex is the most stingy stuck at 639, a CO from USAA of $750 from 2018 and one late car payment and it holds my credit down horribly. so maybe bankruptcy isn't that bad

Message 3 of 21
xiuxiuejar
Established Member

@nytokyobred79 wrote:

Congratulations on getting back in with AMEX. Must feel great to be back in with them. And also, it appears you've picked up some great secured cards with some other great banks as well. I think you're in good shape on your rebuild. I would garden now for the next 12 months and let your current cards/profile age. Best of luck as you continue your rebuild and I hope that your secured cards unsecure in due course. 

Thanks. I plan on gardening for about a year. There really aren't any cards on my radar right now. Maybe get a savings Secured Loan with NFCU since I don't have any installment loans and it's a soft pull. I'm pretty confident the Discover and Navy Federal cards will unsecure after 6-7 months, but I know US Bank is a different animal. 

Message 4 of 21
dacv01
Regular Contributor

@xiuxiuejar wrote:

So after 8 years of being in the wilderness, I decided to rebuild my credit this year. A brief history: I used to have a stellar 850 credit score with over 100k in available credit, but then got really sick, lost my job and was in a dark place for a long tme.  Got approved for SSDI last year and received a very large backpay check and today am in good shape financially. I plan on living a long time so figured I'd fix my credit because I want to build a house in Colorado and will need to be partially financed. 

Started with around a 580 FICO across the board in December. Applied for a Cap One Platinum. Approved for $300 with no annual fee. Since then have done a PC to SavorOne and got an automatic increase to $500 at 3 months. In February I got 3 secured cards: Discover, NFCU nRewards, and US Bank Altitude Go each with $1000 security deposit. Got limit increase to $1400 on nRewards this month. Meanwhile, my credit score improved in all 3- best is Experian with 750 FICO8 and worst is TransUnion with 650 FICO8. 

Decided to test AMEX pre-approval. I burned AMEX for around $3000 total on 3 different cards so was expecting automatic rejection due to being blacklisted. But I went through the process knowing it would be a softie unless by some longshot I was approved. Spining circle and then... You aren't eligible for sign up bonus of 60000 points. Okay, I said continue... another spinning circle... any authorized users? Naw, just me, continue... AND...

APPROVED!!!

Well, I have a heart condition  so I'm surprised I didn't go into cardiac arrest I was in such shock. I just laughed and I think a few tears streamed down my face. I'm back!!!

I was tempted to try BoA and Chase, but I burned them for a lot more and realy, I don't care if I ever get a card from those two again. But I'm back in the AMEX family and like the prodigal son... I still have the "Member since '91" on their website.

Congrats on the approval and getting back in with Amex! Its a good on ramp to the rebuild freeway 

> 5 Inquiries, AAoC 4 years, AoOA 7 years, 11 months as of September 2021
Message 5 of 21
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

Congratulations on your Amex Gold approval!

Message 6 of 21
FlaDude
Established Contributor

Congrats! Good to hear that things are improving for you, hopefully you'll have those 850 scores again some day.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 7 of 21
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your approval! Good luck on your continued credit journey!!

Message 8 of 21
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

@Ihatecridetscores  hope you re-post this under the credit rebuilding heading. 

Message 9 of 21
keekers
Established Contributor

Congrats! How long ago did you burn AMEX?

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.