cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE HEART -Coveted Credit Card Crushes?

tag
DXness
New Contributor

Re: TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE HEART -Coveted Credit Card Crushes?

Discover and Amex tend to not be very forgiving.  Amex in particular blacklists some people for decades.  When I ruined my credit, Discover let me take a hardship plan resulting in the balance getting paid off over time at 0% interest...but what they didn't tell me is that the account is closed immediately, can't be reopened upon completion, and they'll blacklist for 7 years.  I really loved Discover at the time, enough to try and save the account, but had I known the outcome, it might have been better to just straight up burn them lol.  Let's be real, when financial distress and ethics collide, money talks and BS walks.  You gotta do what you gotta do to survive.

I managed to go 7 years without having any open credit cards using a combination of cash and Discover's 1% back debit card.  It was arguably better than paying fees to predatory lenders for low limit rebuilder cards and getting pigeon-holed into that whole mindset.  I'm of the opinion that you want to act like where you want to be, not where you are currently stuck.  Once the COs fell off, I still had loan lates, but my EX and TU scores regained the 720s, enough to play ball with prime cards, so I went straight for prime cards.

Using the "prybar" strategy, I got a $5K Savor One that became $10K 3 months later.  It was off to the races last year with that acting as the prybar to obtain more nice cards and with more conservative lenders.  I "discovered" (bad pun yes) that there are a lot of options out there and the card market is very competitive.  Your old banks can be replaced with new ones and you may find you love the new ones.

It sucks to wait, but sometimes that's all you can do.  I still won't have a clean scorecard for around 2.5 years, EQ won't be clean until the last month, and there's literally nothing I can do about it but wait.

There are a lot of good alternatives to Discover and Amex, regardless of what your overall strategy/goal is.  The thing I actually missed most about Discover was the customer service, the actual IT card was hard to use.  That thing was very decline-happy and couldn't be used at all for trains due to an obscure technical problem that the MTA has with the Discover network.  Many of the rotating categories were for chain stores that I don't have nearby, or things I don't buy.  Likewise, everything Amex offers can be found elsewhere, although Chase and Citi can be hard to get with a dirty scorecard in the current economic environment.  I burned Citi in CO and they let me back in after 8 years.  Sometimes, you luck out.

__

Rebuilding, FICO 8s as of February 2024:

Message 11 of 21
Twotimesacharm
Regular Contributor

@Linnaea wrote:

I have been rebuilding.  I have but 1 baddie left.   I made Discover and Amex whole.   I have been applying and doing the prequalify applications.   I have corresponded with executive offices.  Tried to get Amex Optima after the fact... tried to prequalify for a mere Discover secured. My scores are at 670 give and take.  But now I feel they may both have lost their shine after getting approved from other cards... in particular Navy Fed. 

I feel like I had these crushes and the right one comes along and treats you good - then your like "I'm good!"  I know I defaulted but did the right thing and paid them off and may not deserve another chance.  But seeing so many that get back so soon after bancruptcy... it's like why not me? 

How about you? Did you ever have a conveted card and you just gave up and had a TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE ❤️! 

I think I may not even try anymore... or try just for the thrill but not really care as much.   

My mom used to say "run away until you catch them" in regards to men.   But maybe I can apply this to my credit card crushes. Maybe soon they will be interested in me when I'm no longer interested in them.   

I think I'm in the same boat.

I had some coveted cards I wanted (Amex BCE and ChaseFreedom). I was convinced to get in with NFCU to build up my credit to be eligible for them once my file was squeaky clean (I had a Wells Fargo and a Amex Delta at the time). After a year or so, I realized I just wanted to grow my relationship with NFCU with their low interest rates and generous CLI's. I do not plan on apping for either of the above for a long time!

Message 12 of 21
Linnaea
Frequent Contributor

@Twotimesacharm wrote:

@Linnaea wrote:

I have been rebuilding.  I have but 1 baddie left.   I made Discover and Amex whole.   I have been applying and doing the prequalify applications.   I have corresponded with executive offices.  Tried to get Amex Optima after the fact... tried to prequalify for a mere Discover secured. My scores are at 670 give and take.  But now I feel they may both have lost their shine after getting approved from other cards... in particular Navy Fed. 

I feel like I had these crushes and the right one comes along and treats you good - then your like "I'm good!"  I know I defaulted but did the right thing and paid them off and may not deserve another chance.  But seeing so many that get back so soon after bancruptcy... it's like why not me? 

How about you? Did you ever have a conveted card and you just gave up and had a TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE ❤️! 

I think I may not even try anymore... or try just for the thrill but not really care as much.   

My mom used to say "run away until you catch them" in regards to men.   But maybe I can apply this to my credit card crushes. Maybe soon they will be interested in me when I'm no longer interested in them.   

I think I'm in the same boat.

I had some coveted cards I wanted (Amex BCE and ChaseFreedom). I was convinced to get in with NFCU to build up my credit to be eligible for them once my file was squeaky clean (I had a Wells Fargo and a Amex Delta at the time). After a year or so, I realized I just wanted to grow my relationship with NFCU with their low interest rates and generous CLI's. I do not plan on apping for either of the above for a long time!

That is exactly how I have been feeling myself.   I am in live with NFCU. I don't want to cheat on them now.  

Message 13 of 21
Linnaea
Frequent Contributor

@Traveler101 wrote:

Perceive it as an omen that there is brightness on the other side 🙂

I like that metaphor.  

Message 14 of 21
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

@Linnaea I've never told anyone, but I wanted a WF card because they have a stagecoach balloon at the Albuquerque balloon festival that I thought was really cool! How little it takes to influence some.

Message 15 of 21
Linnaea
Frequent Contributor

Very poignant advice and insightful. I am loving and appreciating these responses. Sometimes it's nice to know others have been in my shoes and have had the same feelings.   Sometimes charting these turbulent waters can seem fruitless.  I can change course and still reach a destination just as beautiful and like others or may be even more beautiful.  In these economic times some of the conveted card may even have to evolve and change their parameters. I just don't know if I'll bite.  I might only for diversification. It's like going back to an old boyfriend.... it is not always what you thought it would be.   

Message 16 of 21
Linnaea
Frequent Contributor

@CorpCrMgr1 wrote:

@Linnaea I've never told anyone, but I wanted a WF card because they have a stagecoach balloon at the Albuquerque balloon festival that I thought was really cool! How little it takes to influence some.

You are not the only one that ever wanted a credit card for it's looks and sure won't be the last. Bwahhhh...

Message 17 of 21
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

I don't know that it was a crush (well, maybe, sorta), and it isn't a secret that I got my Amex Plum card simply because I liked the look of it... Very likely the silliest reason of all to get a credit card, but it's worked out well and been a good card for me.

Message 18 of 21
Linnaea
Frequent Contributor

@JoeRockhead wrote:

I don't know that it was a crush (well, maybe, sorta), and it isn't a secret that I got my Amex Plum card simply because I liked the look of it... Very likely the silliest reason of all to get a credit card, but it's worked out well and been a good card for me.

I love it !

Message 19 of 21
FicoMike0
Established Contributor

I suppose I opened an amex checking account mostly for the all grey debit card. Looks like a serious card, lol.

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.