Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shady Capital One CC Applications and Approvals

tag
MitchDeerfield
Regular Contributor

Shady Capital One CC Applications and Approvals

I have a large auto insurance payment coming up and I wanted to put it on a credit card with a good sign-up bonus.

Capital One has a couple of cards like that, a $200 bonus when you charge $500 to the card within 3 months.

I had been rejected by Capital One about five years ago so I wanted to be cautious and careful.   I went to their pre-approval site and put in all my personal information.  After a minute or so they gave me the good news.  Congratulations, you've been approved for both the Savor One and Quicksilver cards, take your pick!   I then started filling out the approved application and noticed in small print that I wasn't going to be getting the $200 bonus applying that way (I've never had a Cap One card before).  That was an important  reason for applying for the card. 

I thought it was an honest error, and went to the main Cap One website where they were offering the $200 bonus and they confirmed it.

I applied on that webpage and gave the exact same information.   This time instead of being approved  I was rejected and told my credit was not good enough, that I had too many balances, too many inquiries, etc.   In other words they made up phony reasons so they wouldn't have to pay me the $200 bonus that they advertise heavily.   My FICO score is 817.

Is Capital One being devious or not?  What do you think?

I then applied to BofA for their  Unlimited Card (same 1.5 percent cashback) and was instantly approved.  With BofA they kept their promise but I have to spend $1,000 to get the $200 bonus.  

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
GZG
Valued Contributor

Re: Shady Capital One CC Applications and Approvals

@MitchDeerfield wrote:

I went to their pre-approval site and put in all my personal information.  After a minute or so they gave me the good news.  Congratulations, you've been approved for both the Savor One and Quicksilver cards, take your pick!   I then started filling out the approved application and noticed in small print that I wasn't going to be getting the $200 bonus applying that way (I've never had a Cap One card before).  That was an important  reason for applying for the card. 

I thought it was an honest error, and went to the main Cap One website where they were offering the $200 bonus and they confirmed it.

they told you no bonus in the pre-approval screen for a reason, they meant it. 

they aren't like other banks where they strive to have all super-prime credit customers to give them $200 for you to never use their card again, they don't like to give bonuses to customers with credit profiles like yours, it's business, nothing personal. 

but yeah the reasons aren't real, they can't put

"don't want to give the bonus to this guy who won't use our card after we give them $200" 

other banks would be happy to give you $200 for you to never use their card again, as you saw, congrats!!

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 2 of 30
MitchDeerfield
Regular Contributor

The only bank that has ever rejected me was Capital One so they are the odd ones out.

My point was how tricky and sneaky they are.  No I don't have to give shady banks my business.

Clearly the $200 for $500 spending offer is a bait and switch.  I just want to warn others about it.

Message 3 of 30
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Over all you arent their idea customer for one reason or another.  Many many people are denied cap1 cards in the 800 are you are far from aloe they don't like handing out those bonuses for people that are unlikely to use their cards after the initial spend.  Many other fish in the sea

Message 4 of 30
MitchDeerfield
Regular Contributor

Do you actually work for Capital One?  Otherwise, your comments  make little sense.

The point is Capital One ran my credit once and said my credit was fine.  They checked it two minutes later and then said my credit was bad.  Obviously they were lying.

They never told me that they were worried that I wouldn't keep using the card.  They pretended that my credit rating had gone  down in a matter of minutes.  They were telling a lie, which is  apparently okay with you.   A good attorney could probably file charges against them for false advertising.

Message 5 of 30
Zoostation1
Valued Contributor

@MitchDeerfield Looks like you were preapproved for the "for good credit" version which is the no sub version that also has a slightly higher APR than the highest of the regular version. Did your preapproval say SavorOne  or SavorOne for Good Credit?  If your preapproval had the latter the denial you got applying for the regular version is to be expected.  Effectively you wanted card A, were preapproved for card B, and applied for card A getting denied.  Sure it sucks, but Capital one didn't lie to you unless your preapproval came back with the regular $200 sub version (before you submit everything on the preapproval soft pull it's in the fine print that you may be approved for a different version (I don't remember the exact verbiage, but it's in there).  As a general rule, if you see the "for good credit" version of SavorOne or QS in your preapproval don't apply for one with the sub and waste the triple bureau pull.  FWIW, I have the no sub SavorOne as at the time of approval I wasn't far enough long in my rebuild to qualify for the sub.  Capital One is algorithm driven.  CSRs don't have the ability to override those decisions either.  If their algorithm doesn't see you as profitable it you'll either not be preapproved or in the case of SavorOne and Quicksilver, get preapproved for the no sub version. Cap One 's alfgorithm seems to favor those that carry a balance regularly, but aren't delinquent.  They also will often approve if the algorithm determines you'll likely use the card heavily on a consistent basis.  If you're a PIF every month type they want to be your main squeeze.

Rebuild Started Nov 2021
June 2022 FICO 8:
June 2022 FICO 9:
May 2024 FICO 8:
May 2024 FICO 9:
Message 6 of 30
MitchDeerfield
Regular Contributor

Based on  your experience,  would you consider someone with a FICO score of 817 to be good credit?

I appreciate the feedback but I am a little bit surprised how many people justify or even approve of their unethical behavior.  There are only two valid reasons to reject a credit card sign up bonus.  One reason is poor or inadequate credit, the other is if you have previously received the bonus.

Guessing  that you might not keep a big balance or won't keep using the card aren't valid reasons unless they tell you that upfront.

Message 7 of 30
Zoostation1
Valued Contributor

@MitchDeerfieldUnfortunately I don't think most issuers will tell you upfront exactly what they're looking for.  817 is an excellent score for sure, and when C1 says "for good credit" I wouldn't put a lot of stock into it.  If they are only offering the no sub version there's something their algorithm doesn't like about your profile.  It's not a knock on your profile it just means the algorithm doesn't see you as their target customer.  I've been fortunate to have a mostly good experience with C1, but plenty of people don't (some with strong credit profiles, some with weaker).

Rebuild Started Nov 2021
June 2022 FICO 8:
June 2022 FICO 9:
May 2024 FICO 8:
May 2024 FICO 9:
Message 8 of 30
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

First congrats on the BofA approval and SUB @MitchDeerfield.

I know you are dissappointed with Cap 1.   Feel free to vent a bit regarding that denial.

However, that ire you have need not to be directed upon any replies which are intended to provide an explaination / rationale for said denial.     If you believe there was something shady, no need to pay a lawyer.    File an inquiry with the CFPB - links are provided below.

@MitchDeerfield wrote:

Do you actually work for Capital One?  Otherwise, your comments  make little sense.

The point is Capital One ran my credit once and said my credit was fine.  They checked it two minutes later and then said my credit was bad.  Obviously they were lying.

They never told me that they were worried that I wouldn't keep using the card.  They pretended that my credit rating had gone  down in a matter of minutes.  They were telling a lie, which is  apparently okay with you.   A good attorney could probably file charges against them for false advertising.

Message 9 of 30
MitchDeerfield
Regular Contributor

Here's where I think I may have messed up.  When I applied for the card with a bonus, Capital One asked me if I would keep a balance on my account  (so they can collect  interest charges).  I was a little bit annoyed because I had never seen a question like that before, so I just left it blank, ignoring it.  That probably caused the rejection.   In retrospect I should have written that yes I keep big balances on my card.  They also wanted  to start an immediate balance transfer.

Oh well,  I guess I've exhausted this subject, lol.  Live and Learn, at least with Capital One.

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.