cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negativity is not helpful

tag
asking4afriend

Re: I Need to increase my overall credit limit by $98k, Burned Banks / Blacklisted?

The credit point increase isn't necessary. I was so proud to hit 791 only for it to decrease 1 week later. So, that's just me wanting to recover my score.

Message 21 of 53
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

Re: I Need to increase my overall credit limit by $98k, Burned Banks / Blacklisted?

@asking4afriend wrote:

I didn't mention business school. I'm a Tech Consultant ($TEM).

My mistake.  I typed business school instead of graduate school.  The sentiment is the same; no credit card application asks if you went to a top 10 school.  The only time they would ask for school information is if you were applying for a "student" card product.

May 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, New Revolver
FICO8:
FICO9:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 10 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 0 mos | New Accounts: 1/6, 1/12, 3/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 22 of 53
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

@asking4afriend wrote:

There is no mention of a specific amount of other than a certain percentage in the bank over the monthly minimum wage. A local lawyer suggested $150k in ADDITIONAL credit would make for a stronger application. 

I'd ask the local lawyer for other suggestions.  From what you've said here, this one isn't achievable in a timeframe that would matter for your residency VISA application.

Message 23 of 53
narcan04
Established Member

The collective can correct me, but I can't think of too many datapoints showing someone with regular job type money attaining the limits you're looking for in the time you are looking for them. 

The only people getting $30k-50k limits per account within their first year have a ton of income and thick/aged credit profiles. Realistically, you're looking at 2-3 years of steady building to reach that kind of credit limit. 

Message 24 of 53
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

@asking4afriend wrote:

There is no mention of a specific amount other than a certain percentage in the bank over the monthly minimum wage. A local lawyer suggested $150k in ADDITIONAL credit would make for a stronger application. 

Yes, what I have been trying to stress is that the actual wording is to have real money in the bank.  True liquid assets are typically what strengthens a visa application.  The local lawyer's suggestion is something in addition to the real requirement.

FICO8:
FICO9:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 10 yrs | AoORA: 36 yrs | AoYRA: 0 mos | New Accounts: 1/6, 1/12, 3/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 25 of 53
asking4afriend

At least I didn't file Bankruptcy. I see so many people on this form post Bankruptcy asking for advice. 

Message 26 of 53
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Not to pile on, but based upon your posts I cannot think of a single financial institution which would give you even $20,000 of unsecured credit as a new customer of theirs.  It is said often here that credit is a marathon not a sprint; do you have a foundation to get $98,000 in credit?  Yes.  Is it going to happen any time soon?  I'm betting less than 1% odds on that.

Chapter 13:

• Burned: AMEX, Chase, Citi, Wells Fargo, and South County Bank (now Bank of Southern California)
  • Filed: 26-Feb-2015
  • MoC: 01-Mar-2015
  • 1st Payment (posted): 23-Mar-2015
  • Last Payment (posted): 07-Feb-2020
  • Discharged: 04-Mar-2020
  • Closed: 23-Jun-2020

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!

In the proverbial sock drawer:
Message 27 of 53
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

@asking4afriend wrote:

At least I didn't file Bankruptcy. I see so many people on this form post Bankruptcy asking for advice. 

No one is saying that people with poor credit histories in the past can't improve their situations over time.  It's your specific time frame that is unreasonable.

FICO8:
FICO9:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
Message 28 of 53
asking4afriend

What's regular job type money? I am self-employed as a Tech Consulant and only take on projects as needed in order to concentrate on getting exceptional grades and completing my degree. I plan to take on more projects after graduation. People in my field make a low $250k and up to $500k+ working a regular 40 hour week, for someone else. When I am a full-time independent consultant I can make much more than that. I found some great options for property ownership and don't want to miss out. I will consult with another immigration lawyer to compare the advice I've been given.

Message 29 of 53
asking4afriend

I believe that response was for another person who tried to question my character for not paying back the aged-off debt (CHARGED-OFF). 

I understand that the timeline was too optimistic but supposedly First Tech offers high starting limits, especially if you have some money in the bank. I was asking for similar recommendations and not a backlash.

Message 30 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.