cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this true or a myth about cash advances & CLI's?

tag
MikeyMagic
Frequent Contributor

Re: Is this true or a myth about cash advances & CLI's?

@markbeiser wrote:

I can personally confirm that both BoA and Discover will specify a recent cash advance as a reason for a CLI denial, in addition to whatever normal reason codes that pop up.

Thanks for all the replies. I guess taking cash advances is NOT good and won't increase the chances of a CLI.

Message 11 of 18
FlaDude
Valued Contributor

Most cards charge a % fee for cash advances on top of immediate interest. I certainly don't need any CLIs enough to pay for them like that.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 12 of 18
Zoostation1
Valued Contributor

@MikeyMagicsome lenders treat taking a cash advance as a negative no matter how fast you pay it off.   The mere fact of taking it can be treated as a negative by lenders.  Whether it should be treated that way is debatable, and I personally have the opinion if you pay it back quickly (ie a instance where your debit card caps out and you take out a cash advance but pay if off plus the interest in a week- or anytime  before the statement). IMO, no lender should treat that as a negative if you're not carrying the  balance over, but that's not the world we live in.

Rebuild Started Nov 2021
June 2022 FICO 8:
June 2022 FICO 9:
May 2024 FICO 8:
May 2024 FICO 9:
Message 13 of 18
MarkintheHV
Frequent Contributor

Only a couple of times in the past 20 years have I taken a cash advance, and those were for emergencies.  They were completely paid off within a couple of weeks.  I dont think the cc companies intended for credit cards to be used like ATM cards.

Personally, I would stay away from doing any cash advances except in an emergency.

What's in my wallet?
NFCU Flagship - 80k | AmEx Delta Reserve - $70k | Citi Strata Premier - $37k | AmEx Delta Reserve Biz - 60k | Citi AA Biz - 20k
Message 14 of 18
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@MikeyMagic wrote:

Hey all!

So I have read on other forums that a little "hack" to help getting faster and bigger CLI's from credit card companies or banks is to do a cash advance or even a couple.

From what I read, these companies and banks like this because of the immediate interest charged. Also if you do a cash advance and pay it back in a reasonable amount of time - that would make these companies and banks want to increase your credit limit and cash advance amount so they hopefully get more interest charged when the customer does another one.

Is this true or could be true or false?

Thanks so much

It's untrue. And it would be a very expensive waste of money.

Total revolving limits 657200 (536700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 706 TU 710 EX 708

Message 15 of 18
markhs777
Regular Contributor

By definition taking a cash advance and paying  a fee and interest rates approaching 30% means you have financial issues.

The highest default rates are those who make a habit of using cash advances.

No way FI's will reward you with more credit available for doing this and will keep an eagle eye on you.

Message 16 of 18
Zoostation1
Valued Contributor

@markhs777I would disagree that just taking a cash advance in itself means financial issues.  If you're taking one because you're debit card crapped out while travelling and or there's an issue with your bank and you need cash immediately for something but have the means to pay it almost immediately, I think that's a different situation than someone taking out a cash advance due to finacial woes.   If you're taking a cash advance out cause money is tight I would agree you're likely not making a good decision and  wouldn't take one myself due the potential AA from lenders.

Rebuild Started Nov 2021
June 2022 FICO 8:
June 2022 FICO 9:
May 2024 FICO 8:
May 2024 FICO 9:
Message 17 of 18
markhs777
Regular Contributor

You make a valid point, in an emergency or need immediate  a cash advance iis an option albeit an expensive one.

It's more being a habitual user of that option that would indicate financial stress.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.