Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I instantly request a SLI?

tag
vinster95
New Contributor

Can I instantly request a SLI?

Hey everyone. I was just approved for a Capital One Venture card. Great news! However, they gave me a $3000 SL, which I feel is absurdly low. I just checked my scores, and they are Ex 783, EQ 803 and TU 798. 15 percent UTL. 129k income. No rent/mortgage. How did I only get 3000???

Is it possible to call them and ask for a higher limit? Or do I let it happen naturally? 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Re: Can I instantly request a SLI?

@vinster95 wrote:

Hey everyone. I was just approved for a Capital One Venture card. Great news! However, they gave me a $3000 SL, which I feel is absurdly low. I just checked my scores, and they are Ex 783, EQ 803 and TU 798. 15 percent UTL. 129k income. No rent/mortgage. How did I only get 3000???

Is it possible to call them and ask for a higher limit? Or do I let it happen naturally? 

I find it highly unlikely they'll give you a higher limit, no, check that, I'm laying odds it is impossible.  As for the low SL, yeah, for those of us who live comfortably within our means, CapOne is very stingy with starting limits.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 2 of 8
vinster95
New Contributor

I was legit shocked. I see people on here with approvals with scores not as good, higher UTL, lowe income, etc... getting like 10k. I figured I'd get at least that...

How does Capital One go about CLI's? Are they at least good with automatically giving you a higher one soon? 

Message 3 of 8
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@vinster95 wrote:

I was legit shocked. I see people on here with approvals with scores not as good, higher UTL, lowe income, etc... getting like 10k. I figured I'd get at least that...

How does Capital One go about CLI's? Are they at least good with automatically giving you a higher one soon? 

After my Chapter 13 discharge, which by definition meant I had scores in the low- to mid-600 range, I got a Quicksilver with a $3,000 SL; they granted a CLI request 6-months later of $300, and then over the next two years gave me auto-CLIs of $1,500 twice, bringing my limit up to $6,300.  A few months after my Chapter 13 fell off my reports, not only had my income more than doubled, but my credit scores were all in the 800s; I applied for a SavorOne card and got a starting limit of $2,000, and they have yet to grant me a single CLI for that card.

High starting limits for me didn't happen until I applied to Chase, first card had an SL of $11,700 and my second card had an SL of $23,600.

Message 4 of 8
vinster95
New Contributor

Thanks for the info. It's interesting how it seems like everyone has such different experiences with different cards. My next card I was is Chase as well. I want the CSR. I heard thats a 10k limit minimum, so I'd like to get this Capital One limit up, so Chase sees I have higher limits than 3k. I'm not going to apply for the Chase card for a while though. Probably not until the winter.

Message 5 of 8
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@vinster95 wrote:

Thanks for the info. It's interesting how it seems like everyone has such different experiences with different cards. My next card I was is Chase as well. I want the CSR. I heard thats a 10k limit minimum, so I'd like to get this Capital One limit up, so Chase sees I have higher limits than 3k. I'm not going to apply for the Chase card for a while though. Probably not until the winter.

My highest card when Chase approved me for the CSP was $8,500; six months later they approved me for a CFU with the $23,600 limit.

Message 6 of 8
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

@vinster95 wrote:

What is your highest CL card and how many cards do you have?

Message 7 of 8
vinster95
New Contributor

Amex Delta gold that has a 3k limit, and a Dell account that has a 4k limit, but counts as a revolving account. I have an Amex Platinum that I mainly use, so I never worried about the other limits so much. Now I fiigured I'd like to build some nice limits so I have them and can build my credit profile more and more.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.