cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long after closing AMEX Corp can I open a new one?

tag
lmsmedley
New Visitor

How long after closing AMEX Corp can I open a new one?

Opened an Amex Blue Biz Plus card in July 2022 with $30K limit at 0%.
Applied for Amex Blue Cash card in August 2023.  Got 30K limit at 0%, and reallocated 29K of the Biz Plus limit to Blue Cash.

0% will expire in August 2024.  
I'd love to cancel the Blue Biz Plus, and then reapply and try and snag the 0% intro rate again.

Will they let me do that?  If so, how long after I close the original Blue Biz card can I reapply for the new one?  

Thanks!!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Tdatb64
New Contributor

Re: How long after closing AMEX Corp can I open a new one?

I don't know the answer to your question but I am thoroughly amazed they let you reallocate from a business card to a personal card: that's usually a big no-no, from what I understand.

Message 2 of 8
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@lmsmedley wrote:

Applied for Amex Blue Cash card in August 2023.  Got 30K limit at 0%, and reallocated 29K of the Biz Plus limit to Blue Cash.

I'd love to cancel the Blue Biz Plus, and then reapply and try and snag the 0% intro rate again.

Will they let me do that?  If so, how long after I close the original Blue Biz card can I reapply for the new one?  

Thanks!!

AMEX got wise to churning cards (i.e. closing and then soon afterward reapplying for the same card in order to again leverage a welcome offer) years ago.  If you read the terms and conditions for the Blue Biz card you should see the sentence below, often referred to colloquially as their 'lifetime language':

You may not be eligible to receive the welcome offer, intro APRs, and intro plan fees if you have or have had this Card or previous versions of this Card.

You can still get apply and get approved for the card but when you submit the application expect a popup telling you that you are ineligible for the welcome offer which requires you to click through to either continue with the application on that basis or withdraw the application.

Occasionally AMEX will send out a targeted or an affinity offer that omits this language (and which they do honor) and there is speculation that "lifetime" is actually "7 years", but that doesn't help you.

(5/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@lmsmedley wrote:

Thanks!!

Welcome to the forum.

No they won't let you do that.

Oh you can reapply whenever, but you won't get the promo interest rate.

BTW since these are business cards, you should ask the moderator to move this thread to "Business Credit".

And neither of these cards are "Corporate" cards. They are "Business" cards, which is different.

Total revolving limits 710800 (590300 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 712 TU 710 EX 710

Message 4 of 8
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

BTW since these are business cards, you should ask the moderator to move this thread to "Business Credit".

Already requested.   ;-)

(5/2024)

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 5 of 8
citymunky
Established Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

And neither of these cards are "Corporate" cards. They are "Business" cards, which is different.

Just a bystander here, but what if you apply under a different EIN? 

Rebuilding since 2021

Closed CCs
USAA (Jul 2019| Settled CO), Jasper $1 CL (Jul21-Jul22), Sable $250CL{Secured} (Jan22-Jun23), CreditOne Platinum $750CL (Jul21-Aug23), Prosper $1.9K CL (Jan22-Apr24)

Starting FICO 8 Scores:
Current FICO 8 Scores:

Message 6 of 8
GZG
Valued Contributor

@Tdatb64 wrote:

I don't know the answer to your question but I am thoroughly amazed they let you reallocate from a business card to a personal card: that's usually a big no-no, from what I understand.

I assume they mean blue biz cash, not blue cash everyday, because no they absoutely do not allow transfering CL from biz to personal cards

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 7 of 8
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@citymunky wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Just a bystander here, but what if you apply under a different EIN? 

Might work but that would be a grey area - a single responsible party can have multiple EIN but the trails of crumbs all lead back to the same spot.  It would be as much about what AMEX would do when they later realized you slipped through a crack as it is that you managed to slip through in the first place.

(5/2024)

$1M+ club

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.