Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Vehicle-Pay with Cash or Finance

tag
_Heather_
New Visitor

New Vehicle-Pay with Cash or Finance

After a very long and very rough few years financially, we're doing our best to repair and build credit scores, make smart decisions, and pay off unnecessary debt. We've reached a point where we're considering selling our house and it looks like after we pay off the mortgage we'd clear about $96,000. We're only considering this because my mother purchased the family farm after my grandparents passed away but she doesn't live there and would be fine with us living there rent free as long as we handle the cost of repairs, utilities, upkeep/maintenance, etc. This is really a great plan and we're strongly considering it. That said, it's also time to think seriously about purchasing a new vehicle. We haven't purchased a vehicle since 2016 and we've far outgrown it (a very small Chevy Trax) with our three now teenagers. We're considering two options....one would be to use a portion of that profit, roughly $40,000 to purchase a new vehicle outright with cash. The other would be to use $10,000 or $20,000 of it as a down payment and finance the rest ($20,000-$30,000 depending on down payment).

Here's the kicker....because I've been shouldering the brunt of the credit problems my credit is slowly but surely rebuilding but frankly is horrible on paper (500 TU, 492 Equifax on CK) while my husband's is also building but is much better than mine (623 TU, 646 Equifax on CK). He also makes almost twice as much as I make ($92,289 to my $50,232). DTI is good, verifiable income is good, scores are awful. For the record, I'm aware that I need to get our FICO Auto scores but we're working very, very hard to stick to a budget and right now I don't want to spend the extra $80 that it would cost to pull those for both of us. I will before we make a solid decision but I'm just weighing the options right now.

On the one hand, I'd really love to pay cash and just be done with it. We tend to keep our vehicles until they literally cannot be driven again so we'd have it probably 15-20 years or more, there'd be no payment, no stress, and we'd just have it free and clear. On the other, positive payment history on a new car would help diversify our credit reports, build good credit history, and keep us from dropping such a huge chunk at once. It would also save us from any red flags that might be thrown up by the bank, the IRS, etc. While it's all completely legal and above board, I can see that it would be unusual and I know they have to report high level cash transactions and frankly I just don't have the mental and emotional energy to expend on stressing about that (I have massive anxiety when it comes to financial issues, especially after everything we've been through in the past few years).

So I guess the question is...do we pay cash outright? Do we put down a nice downpayment and finance the rest? Do we try to finance it in both our names or only in my husband's since we'd likely have a horrible interest rate if mine is on there if it even got approved? Do we finance it with both of us and just pay it off within the first six months? And if we were to finance it in just his name/credit, can we both be listed on the title or would it be his and his alone as far as the title goes?

12 REPLIES 12
GZG
Valued Contributor

Re: New Vehicle-Pay with Cash or Finance

do you/p2 still owe any bad debt now and can you/p2 still be sued for that bad debt, that would be the first concern for a number of reasons

don't get a car loan to improve your credit, a couple of secured cards and time is all you really need on that front

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 2 of 13
_Heather_
New Visitor

We do have some old bad debt but it's all being paid on through payment agreements so I don't really forsee a situation where we could be sued since we faithfully make the payments each month. We do owe the IRS (that's a whole other story and one that I can confidently say we got screwed over on) but we're on a repayment plan and pay a set amount each month via direct debit.

We are planning to spend a bit of the money to set up a couple of secured credit cards. We're also looking at the possibility of a decent downpayment and then payments on a tractor so that would be building each month on our credit, too. We've invested a lot of time, effort, and money into a bit of a small farm operation that is currently going quite well but it's getting harder and harder to manage without a tractor so that's high on the priority list. I believe total we're looking at $35,000 for that (maybe less) so we could, conceivably, do the car and the tractor outright, spend a bit on secured credit cards, and still have a decent little sum in the bank. 

We've worked incredibly hard and sacrificed a lot over the past few years to turn things around and this feels like a bit of a once in a lifetime opportunity and we really, really want to get this right.

Message 3 of 13
RSX
Valued Contributor

i would put $10-15k down on the car, and finance the rest

also - you can get your reports during a free 7 day trial from these guys

https://www.creditchecktotal.com/

refresh all 3 credit reports

downgrade the membership to Free the next day - and you are good to go

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 4 of 13
_Heather_
New Visitor

Thank you. I'll have to take a look at that link and pull them. I'm a little bit stuck in my head with all of this and I feel like I'm playing that "paralysis by overanalysis" game with myself.

Message 5 of 13
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

To get the Best price, you

might want to go with dealer financing at whatever the SIMPLE  interest rates.  

Pay for two months and then pay it all off with your Cash...   Make sure though there are no prepayment penalties! 

You can be on the title and but not on the car loan.   If you are on the loan, you would be on  title. 

Message 6 of 13
_Heather_
New Visitor

I considered this and it seems like a solid plan. To be perfectly honest I'm not even sure we can get approved with those scores. I know if we do the interest rate would be astronomical but if I pay it off in a month or two then it doesn't really matter so much. I guess if we chose to go this route then the question would become whether or not we'd even be able to get approved?

Message 7 of 13
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Your score is rough so applying under his would be better.

Given you have the cash, the interest rate the dealer Bestows upon  your Husband   won't really matter if you're paying the car off in three months.

Just don't mention to the dealer that you plan to pay it off quickly.

Message 8 of 13
_Heather_
New Visitor

That sounds like a decent plan. I can't imagine they wouldn't approve him if he applies by himself. His DTI would show that he can afford the vehicle even without my income, his score isn't great but it's definitely higher than mine, and it might be high interest but as you say, if I pay it off in a month or two that won't really matter. 

And it sounds as though he could purchase the vehicle but we could both be on the title so I guess that's not an issue. Would it throw up any red flags anywhere if we paid it off quickly (a month or two, three tops)?

Message 9 of 13
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

If you will be $96,000 on the upside from selling you home then no- no red flags if you use $40,000 of that for the new car.

Of course, you gotta actually sell said house.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.