cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does entire amount of auto loan show on credit report?

tag
HelpWithCR3it

Does entire amount of auto loan show on credit report?

Hello.

This is 3 question thread.

1. I want to finance a used car. What amount shows on the credit report? Let's say you finance the car for 30,000, but with interest it ends up being 33,000 at the end of the loan. Which amount shows on the report? Cause I remember when I leased a car, each month it showed I owed less and less on the loan, and it was the full lease amount. Not sure how it is on a finance. 

2. I want to try multiple banks. Only really getting 8.0 percent rates right now and I have great credit and very high limits. Go figure. Do all banks if apply for auto loan, show as 1 inquary, and what is the time frame for that? I am afraid to apply with certain banks thinking it will show many inquaries. 

3. Not sure if anyone knows this, but is an auto loan for a used car, and a credit inquiry the same thing for maybe getting a leased car? As in the same type of credit hit that will only show as 1?

Thanks and have a great day

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
FlaDude
Established Contributor

Re: Does entire amount of auto loan show on credit report?

1) Your credit report will show the high balance (generally starting balance), in your example $30k and the current balance. The total amount paid with interest would not be shown, and the actual amount would not be known until the loan is paid off because you could make extra payment (or miss payments) and the interest accrual would vary because of that.

2) They would be separate inquiries but from what I've read here, future lenders might take into account that they were for a single event.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 2 of 3
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Does entire amount of auto loan show on credit report?

To add some context @HelpWithCR3it :

When you lease, you will be paying a 'rent fee' for the term...payment + interest + fees + taxes over the term.  That TOTAL obligation of monthly payments will show on your CR.  That is what is owed.

To align with @FlaDude  when you buy....again here the TOTAL amount owed is reported...Balance of the loan which includes interest, taxes, fees etc.  The price of your car plus those other fees are the TOTAL you owe.

For inquires, whether you buy or lease, new or used...the dealer will pull your CB so you'll have an inquiry there...some dealers and some banks pull 2 or all 3 CB's so be aware of your credit beforehand and who you will be applying for a loan with....if you're in good shape...typically the dealer will just make 1 HP.  THEN it goes to the bank...again if you're solid, the first bank that see your application will ALSO pull 1 CB and it may be the same and may be different from the dealer.  If you're not as solid...expect potentially a pull from a 2nd CB from the bank.  If then the bank declines you, the dealer will send your application to another bank and that bank will also pull your CB.  IF your credit when the dealer reviews it is iffy...below 670 and in jeapordy of getting approved...they MAY automatically shoot your application to more than 1 bank initially, leading to multiple pulls.  From a scoring perspective, while you'll see multiple, they are "bundled" into 1 for scoring purposes so you should not see any serious implication or score reduction for multiple CB pulls for an auto loan application.  You "may" then see a drop in score once the auto loan is reported to your credit as it will show a balance and owing 100% of the loan.

Good Luck!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.