Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get a better rate?

tag
Itiswhoitis
New Visitor

Can I get a better rate?

I just bought a 2017rav4 from carmax and got financing through them. The apr is 15.39% and that seems a bit high to me. I thought it would have been lower. 

Some background info:

My bank uses fico9. 719

Esperian uses fico8 691

Creditkarma vantage3 710

Debt to income ratio is 32%

Utilization rate is 45%

1 payment 30 days late in 2022

Gross 88000 in 2023

I have worked full time at the same place since 2015.

My esperian and credit karma score should go up next month. I made a large payment on my bank credit card and it shot the score through them up 44 points. The other two just have not updated with that. 

The car max loan is for a 23998 car. After all the fees and what not the total financed was 26,6752.73

I tried to pre-qualify through capitalone and was denied due to length of credit history. My oldest account is 2 years and a few months old.  It listed my fico auto score as 640.

My question is should I try to shop around more? Am I likely to get a better rate? Does anyone have a suggestion on where to look specifically? Or does the 15%apr sound about right for what I'm gonna find? Car max put a whole sheet of paper in my stuff that's all about how I'm not likely to find a better rate. I'm thinking they are just hoping I believe that. 

Thoughts?

4 REPLIES 4
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Re: Can I get a better rate?

@Itiswhoitis, a few comments:

• Ignore your CreditKarma scores, they are irrelevant and no underwriter will be looking at them.
  • Your Experian is FICO 8, so while it isn't one of your Auto scores, your Experian Auto scores will most likely be within 20 points either way of that score and roughly track any gains or losses in it.
  • In your shoes, I'd shop around for a credit union to join; most likely they'll be able to provide you a refinance on your Rav4 for a lower interest rate.
I categorically refuse to do AZEO!

In the proverbial sock drawer:
Message 2 of 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Agree, you can probably get a better rate than 15.39% and looking at local CUs might be a good place to start.   It's in Carmax's best interest for you to keep paying on the loan but there's no downside for you in refiancing to a lower rate as soon as possible.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 5
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

Agree with the others. Try a credit union. I always recommend shopping around.

Message 4 of 5
dunn2500
Established Contributor

100% find a CU, like tomorrow, try the usuals and even talk to their loan agents.....15% is insane

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.