Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

11k upside down loan

tag
dvbrown2024
New Visitor

11k upside down loan

First time financing a car and made a huge mistake. Ended up with a car worth 9k from CarMax alone (vs 7k from KBB) with a loan of 17k. Also I'm not sure but I believe the odometer has been rolled back but the DMV is taking forever to get back (3 months+ now) so the car could be worth about 5k but I have no idea. The monthly payments are absolutely killing me at $430 a month. I was thinking about trying to put more towards the monthly payment however as the months go on the car is just gonna drop in value more.

I have a Fico score of ~670

Besides paying of the loan, what are some alternatives? Would just rolling over the loan be a good idea?

9 REPLIES 9
Cowboys4Life
Frequent Contributor

Re: 11k upside down loan

"Would just rolling over the loan be a good idea?"

Unfortunately I don't think rolling over the loan is even going to be possible.  Refinancing a car is about the loan to value ratio (LTV) and yours is way way off.  Lenders are reluctant to finance that much imbalance.  Rolling it over into another car purchase would be just as bad.  You would then be paying off both cars but only own one.  That is assuming any lender would even do a deal as upside down as you are.

"Besides paying of the loan, what are some alternatives?"

Wrecking the car for the insurance pay out?  Assuming you have gap coverage.  [SARCASM] 

I have been in the situation post BK when I bought a Jeep Patriot at a grossly inflated price at a terrible rate just to have a car to keep working.  I HATED that car.  I paid extra each month to get the LTV down as fast as possible THEN I traded it in during one of those desperation for used car deals.  

Someone else may have a creative option but right now your best bet as far as I can see is to reduce the financial hemorrhaging not increase it by refinancing or trading to a deeper hole.

Message 2 of 10
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

I agree with @Cowboys4Life, there really aren't any good options here, and none better than paying down the LTV to as lose to equal as possible before making another move.  @dvbrown2024, I know this isn't what you were hoping to hear, but there it is; sorry about that.

FWIW, I was in your shoes many years ago; I bought a small sports car the day before I found out my wife (then girlfriend) was pregnant.  Eighteen months later the car was still underwater, but I absolutely had to upgrade to a larger car; I rolled the negative balance into the new ride (a 1995 VW Passat GLX 5MT, which of course dates me), and then waited until the the LTV was equal before I jumped to another car.  The good news was upgrading to a 1999 BMW 328i 5MT actually lowered my monthly payment versus the Passat because I was only financing one car that time.  Smiley Happy

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!

In the proverbial sock drawer:
Message 3 of 10
dvbrown2024
New Visitor

Dang :/ guess that's the only option. What's an ideal LTV percentage I should aim for if I were to get the car traded in the future?

Message 4 of 10
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@dvbrown2024 wrote:

Dang :/ guess that's the only option. What's an ideal LTV percentage I should aim for if I were to get the car traded in the future?

I vowed to myself to never roll negative equity into another car; so I would argue you want the LTV to be at least equal, if not lower than the value.

Message 5 of 10
dvbrown2024
New Visitor

Ok. Appreciate the responses!

Message 6 of 10
CorpCrMgr1
Valued Contributor

Could you find a good mechanic determine if the odometer has been turned back? if so, find an attorney and make them pay!

Message 7 of 10
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@CorpCrMgr1 wrote:

Could you find a good mechanic determine if the odometer has been turned back? if so, find an attorney and make them pay!

With modern digital odometers, unless the criminal who rolled it back screwed up, then no mechanic will be able to determind if it actually happened.  Assuming the crime was executed well, then the only way to determine if the odometer is correct is to somehow come up with an audit trail of all paperwork for the vehicle for the full history prior to the current owner.

Message 8 of 10
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@dvbrown2024 wrote:

First time financing a car and made a huge mistake. Ended up with a car worth 9k from CarMax alone (vs 7k from KBB) with a loan of 17k. Also I'm not sure but I believe the odometer has been rolled back but the DMV is taking forever to get back (3 months+ now) so the car could be worth about 5k but I have no idea. The monthly payments are absolutely killing me at $430 a month. I was thinking about trying to put more towards the monthly payment however as the months go on the car is just gonna drop in value more.

I have a Fico score of ~670

Besides paying of the loan, what are some alternatives? Would just rolling over the loan be a good idea?

What is your interest rate on the auto loan ?  Wondering if you'd be able to qualify for a 0% CC / BT offer and pay down some / all of the auto loan?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 9 of 10
dvbrown2024
New Visitor

Currently 21%.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.